Designing in CAD?

Strokin572

Reaction score
I have been coming up with all sorts of designs for bumpers, flatbeds, traction bars, roll cages, race car chassis etc. to build. I was starting to build a bumper until I broke my collarbone in a few places and had surgery. Last time I started a front bumper I broke the same shoulder only last time it was the blade. I should probably stop trying to build front bumpers LOL Anyways enough about that I thought of the idea tonight to try finding CAD software to design this stuff in and I was wondering if anyone else uses any CAD for designing stuff. I can get Autocad for 3 years, but don't want to get used to it and then have to spend thousands of dollars in 3 years. I've taken drafting, but my school doesn't have any CAD so I'm looking for something simpler to use. I'm willing to spend some money definitely not thousands though, and free is better yet. So basically I;m looking for options that I can design fabrication stuff with, not break the bank, and still be fairly simple to use.

Adam A.

Reaction score
A better option might be SolidWorks. I have very little experience with it but it seems that is a good mechanical design and 3D software program. We used it in college so I'm not sure about what it would cost to get a personal version.

Blowby

Reaction score
Different levels of CAD software from 2D wireframe to NURBS surfacing.

Autocad is a good starting point with the 3D basic modeling tools.

Inventor which brings in a new design paradigm with parametric driven solids and sketches. Limitations are complex surface geometry so the type of modeling (parts) should drive your decision.

SolidWorks has the same parametric method with a little more surface shape capabilities but is limited to complex non prismatic shapes.

Next up the line is a complex surfacing/parametric and solid package but the cost and learning curve is up there beyond a one person or small shops budget.

I work in all levels using different packages and the order I described lays out the easiest to learn to the hardest. Most of the complex modeling I do is in ThinkDesign and hyperCAD for 5 axis machining using hyperMILL.

Try to enroll in a local community college and obtain a student version.
Good luck and post up and I will follow this to help if I can.

Last edited:

Strokin572

Reaction score
I like the looks of the Autocad and Inventor, and I could get the student version but the thing that scares me is after the 3 years is up it's an insane amount of money. I'd just like the 3d capability so I can design an entire bumper, roll cages, flatbeds and everything so I can scroll around it and put them on a truck and whatnot.

Blowby

Reaction score
If you can increase products offered and reduce time to market over 36 months the cost of CAD should be justified.

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
You said you school doesn't have any. Are you a student? If so you can get a student version of solidworks and inventor for free. I have used both but tend to lean towards solidworks mostly because I use HSMWorks which is a nc load in for solidworks.

Strokin572

Reaction score
That's true but I'm just doing this stuff more just personal use and maybe sell some depending on how well everything turns out and if people are interested. So it may possibly be an option. Yes I'm still a student so I'll probably end up getting the student version if I don't find anything else. I'll check solid works out too.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Different levels of CAD software from 2D wireframe to NURBS surfacing.

Autocad is a good starting point with the 3D basic modeling tools.

Inventor which brings in a new design paradigm with parametric driven solids and sketches. Limitations are complex surface geometry so the type of modeling (parts) should drive your decision.

SolidWorks has the same parametric method with a little more surface shape capabilities but is limited to complex non prismatic shapes.

Next up the line is a complex surfacing/parametric and solid package but the cost and learning curve is up there beyond a one person or small shops budget.

I work in all levels using different packages and the order I described lays out the easiest to learn to the hardest. Most of the complex modeling I do is in ThinkDesign and hyperCAD for 5 axis machining using hyperMILL.

Try to enroll in a local community college and obtain a student version.
Good luck and post up and I will follow this to help if I can.

That's how I got my copy of inventor and their CFD software. I try to to take a class at the community college every so often so I can learn new stuff and download student versions :)

Strokin572

Reaction score
I was looking at some offroad fabrication pages on Instagram and quite a few of them were using Solidworks. Other than student version of Autocad I can't afford any of the more expensive ones and I can't really find any cheaper. I'm going to keep looking for options though especially cheaper however I don't know if there are that are still good. I might look at inventor more too. I just want to make sure I get the right one if I'm going to spend that much.

Blowby

Reaction score
Made some pods for my son's Subaru recently.

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

Blowby

Reaction score
Then a non metallic, self protection device.

IMG_4402.jpg

These were created using Inventor. You can design and build whatever idea passes through your mind. SolidWorks is the most popular based on marketing and a strong sales force. Either of these will work well for you.

Strokin572

Reaction score
Your self protection device is awesome :D the are pods really cool too. I'm kind of leaning towards Solidworks once I can get the money since it looks like cheaper options are out of the question it seems like unfortunately. I don't really see myself designing anything other than fabrication stuff like in my original post either and from what I have seen it looks like Solidworks is good for the type of things I'm wanting to design.

I'm still kind of working on the one in Sketch Up for the time being. Once it's done if it looks decent enough I'll post up

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Your self protection device is awesome :D the are pods really cool too. I'm kind of leaning towards Solidworks once I can get the money since it looks like cheaper options are out of the question it seems like unfortunately. I don't really see myself designing anything other than fabrication stuff like in my original post either and from what I have seen it looks like Solidworks is good for the type of things I'm wanting to design.

Check ebay, sometimes you can find laptops with it already loaded for cheaper than the program itself

Strokin572

Reaction score
Check ebay, sometimes you can find laptops with it already loaded for cheaper than the program itself
That's a really good idea I had never thought of that. Even a program a few years old would work for my needs since I'm not running a full time business or anything off of it. I may later on but not right now just build stuff to sell in my free time.

Latest posts

Members online