I think I figured out whats causing my high EGT's

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Climbed under the truck with a flashlight and started the truck cold. I noticed what appeared to be coolant/water bubbling out from the drivers side exhaust manifold at the cylinder closest to the front bumper (not sure what # that is)

This is the same manifold that my pyrometer is mounted in.

I also noticed that the coolant in my degas bottle was low.

Is this the dreaded egr cooler leak?

The truck starts and runs fine and there is no white smoke at anytime.

I'm in Ca and the truck requires bi-annual smog check that includes visual inspection of smog components.

What are my options?

Thank You

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
it could be...could also be head gaskets but mostly they push pressure into the coolant. i sure wouldnt drive it like that for fear of hydrolocking.

pull the egr cooler out and have a look at it...

2BlueBulls

Reaction score
Certainly doesn't sound like a head gasket unless the degas spewed your engine with coolant.

The EGR issue should be a cheaper issue to resolve but I wouldn't drive it either.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
After looking at the EGR cooler delete process, I'm pretty sure I could delete the cooler, while leaving the valve intact and easily pass the visual. No smog tech is going to look underneath the intake manifold to check for the egr cooler.

My question is this? If I already have to tear into that deep, should I also replace the oil cooler and add head studs while it's apart?

I would hate to do that much work only to find out later that I have a blown headgasket or the oil cooler needs replacing.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
You can always just weld up both ends of the cooler. It's there for visual but blocked off. That's what I did. I too live in ca but luckily I'm in a smog exempt county. I went with the welded cooler because living in ca you just never know....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
You can always just weld up both ends of the cooler. It's there for visual but blocked off. That's what I did. I too live in ca but luckily I'm in a smog exempt county. I went with the welded cooler because living in ca you just never know....

Or you can just give me your address so I can register my truck in your county! :pimp:

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
If I have to do the egr cooler, should I also replace oil cooler and install head studs? I'm not sure I can do the head stud job myself, the egr cooler I think I can handle.

Any good shops in the northern California/sac area? How much money am I looking at here?

2BlueBulls

Reaction score
If you haven't put ARP's or gaskets on I would highly recommend it if you have the money.

Make sure all the othe 6.0 updates are performed if not already while you're in there.

I blew my hg with mods like you have with about 70k on the odo doing a one wheel peel. Afterwards I updated everything in the ford update plus gaskets and studs.

There will be many opinions but I know what's worked for me so far and I'm pretty hard on my Excursion.

scparrish

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider replacing an egr cooler to be one of those things that you just do studs while you're in there.

The egr cooler can be welded up and put back in to pass a visual, or you can get a 50 dollar ebay kit that will delete it.

Egr coolers are pretty easy to replace and unless your deltas are pointing to an oil cooler I would just replace the egr cooler, or delete it.

alradco

Reaction score
If I have to do the egr cooler, should I also replace oil cooler and install head studs? I'm not sure I can do the head stud job myself, the egr cooler I think I can handle.

Any good shops in the northern California/sac area? How much money am I looking at here?

PM weekendwarriorfsw32 on here. He can probably send you in the right direction on where to get it done.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
He most likely lives in Northern CA.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.
Weld the cooler shut.

This is correct. True northern Cali up by Eureka. Not the central San Fran area lol

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I know there is left coast diesel in concord I believe. I've heard both sides of there quality. I think there kinda pricey. There is another Diablo mountin diesel or something like that.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I am in the Central Valley. Actually you are in a 1 smog county. Sell your truck you will have to smog it.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Double checked. It's devil mountain diesel in walnut creek. Unless you wanna come way up here lol- we have a great shop that only works on powerstrokes up here

Last edited:

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Pulled the egr valve and cleaned it and the manifold. Egt's dropped way down into acceptable ranges. Still leaking a small amount of coolant from exhaust manifold.

Latest posts

Members online