Dual IPR's rock

Big Bore

Reaction score
Speculate and flame away! LOL

dualIPR.jpg

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I like it. Is that a LPO sensor on the top or?

Never mind... Pulls head out of ass...

Big Bore

Reaction score

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That looks familiar..... LOL

The next evolution of this part has built in filtration for the IPRs as well as some other handy little features that I am designing into it - but I need to finish with some other stuff before I firm up the design and start cutting chips on the mill.

Big Bore

Reaction score
That looks familiar..... LOL

The next evolution of this part has built in filtration for the IPRs as well as some other handy little features that I am designing into it - but I need to finish with some other stuff before I firm up the design and start cutting chips on the mill.

pRS1C-2265178w345.jpg

Any leads on a small inline debris filter? Eaton/Aeroquip catalog is offline.

Big Bore

Reaction score
How do the dual IPR's get wired in? What tuning changes get made for dual IPR's?

They are wired in series. As far as tuning I can only speculate. However, from the conversations I've had/read concerning how the IPR's operate in series, I am fairly confident no tuning adjustments will be required because of how the duty cycle will work in tandem. IOW in series the duty cycle of two IPR's should automatically fall in line. There was a thread in smack at PSN in which charles and a couple others participated on this very subject and that's what I recall. I tried doing a search last night but it was quite awhile back and I got tired of going through all the pages turned up by dual IPR search. May try again later because it had good info. I need to start pasting good stuff into a document to prevent things like this.

Big Bore

Reaction score
These two posts pretty much sum up the IPR debate. It's not that a single IPR wont do the job, it's that it won't do it well enough for pump systems that flow twice the stock amount of oil.

Also note that the only way to know for sure what ICP is doing is with a mech gauge, not AE or a scan tool/gauge which rely on an electronic signal from fallable sensors.

BTW, Stealth Stage 3 comes with dual IPR's, and it's an option for the other Stealth pumps. Which also use quad feed instead of dual feed from pumps to the heads.

Single IPR, tune your ass off, having all sorts of odd shapes in tables for the sole reason of masking the fact that the IPR cannot change but so fast, and cannot handle but _____ GPM flow at _____ psi. Regardless, you fight through all that and eventually get the truck running nicely.

Vs.... install a second regulator valve that brings the IPR flow demand back to..... wait for it..... stock level. Then load the stock tables back up and low and behold, the truck runs flawlessly, snaps to attention, snaps right back off ICP as well and generally just does exactly what it's told, exactly when it's told to do it. Those of you with a mech gauge might also take note of a lack of entrained air after a hard run as well...

You might also note that if you were to, oh I don't know, lift off at say 4500+ rpm that your ICP won't hang in the stratosphere until the rpm gets the pump outflow back below its maximum flow rate.

If you've never noted this, get a better gauge

If you go out and do a WOT run to 3400 RPMs and let off - lets just assume that my flow numbers above are high - lets call it 4 GPM at 3350 RPM to get onto some common ground - The injectors are demanding very little if any oil - but lets just say they are firing for some finite amount of time that is much less than the 90* injection window they have to fire in - hell lets call it 20* for something rediculously large amount of time - every injector has a 90* window it can fire during, once that window is closed the next injector window opens - what is going on with all that oil that is being pumped by the HPOP during that 70* window inbetween injection events? If the poppets are not floating in the injectors, and the emergency blow off valve is not coming on, then it has to be flowing through that single IPR - that flow does not just dissapear. So for 77% of the time during a lift after WOT that 4GPM has to go through the IPR. I don't know what the smallest flow orifice is in the IPR, but lets call it an optimistic 3/16" in diameter - at those oil flow rates your approaching 46ft/s oil velocity crossing through that IPR during that lift, if its only an 1/8" your at 104 ft/s velocity - both of those numbers are well into the range of turbulent flow leaving that IPR - that turbulenet flow is causing the oil to mix with the air at the exit point of the oil. If you say that it maintains that turbulent flow at that rate for say 4 seconds for every WOT lift, you have heavily aerated oil that amounts to about a quart that mixes with the rest of the oil - blip that throttle half a dozen times and half of your oil is now aerated and causing chitty performance.

Now IF two IPRs are used in that circumstance, and you had them in "equal" locations in the system, then your flow rates are roughly cut in half, meaning those velocities are cut roughly in half, meaning the amount of time spent in highly turbulent flow are reduced because it is now more difficult to get the velocity needed to trip into turbulent flow - does it still happen - you damn right it does, but not as often and not as severe.

PS: Charles, if you happen to read this, you have a PM.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Is a dual IPR needed on the new stealth SRP1? Also can this problem cause a lack of power?

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
I always wanted to run two IPR's like that. It also makes it ridiculously easy to implement acumulators if a person felt so inclined.

Nice to see that it actually exists in reality. Nice work Jason.

Latest posts

Members online