Exhaust chugging

cmb921

Reaction score
I have a 2014 6.7 with 5" straight pipe and tuned with SCT. Did the H&S intercooler pipe replacement but haven't done EGR delete yet. Was around a few friends the other day that both have '15 6.7's. When they heard my truck start they said the noise it was making was not normal and something had to be wrong. I always though this is just the way it was supposed to be. If the truck is warm or has been started recently and I start it again the exhaust will make a chugging noise for about 8 seconds like its idling funny then levels out. Almost as if the valve is opening and closing constantly. If I cold start it I get a constant consistent hum from the exhaust for a few seconds then it stops which is normal. But if the truck is already warm and I start it I get a chugging and inconsistent idle for about 8 seconds until it levels out. Has anyone else ran into this and should I be concerned?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Like it makes a loping noise? If so no that is not normal. What tunes does the SCT have on it?

cmb921

Reaction score
Yah, kind of like a loping noise. I have custom tunes from Innovative diesel.... tow, street, hot street and race is my top tune. I just have it in race and that's what its been doing.

cmb921

Reaction score
No I know it's happened when my a/c wasn't running. Ohio isn't that warm and this has been going on for about 3 weeks lol

cmb921

Reaction score
well it didn't do this before bc it wasn't tuned and the exhaust wasn't on. only started after the exhaust was on but I cant recall 100% if it did it in all tunes. it may only do it in race but I stopped switching back and forth between tunes bc the last time I did the trans didn't seem to learn properly so it would slip. talked to mike and he said it sounded like that's what was happening is the trans needed to re-learn so I took the truck back to stock and then re-tuned to race and left it bc mike said that would probably be best.

cmb921

Reaction score
no codes that its making me aware of. could be storing internally but never a CEL or anything on dash that its showed me.

cmb921

Reaction score
good call @leland88 ! I will have to do that- I didn't even think that this forum would let me upload a video but I'll try that

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.