Turning the seat belt chime or "Belt-Minder" off

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I had a buddy tell me yesterday that he had his belt chime turned off by a friend when he first got his 13' Powerstroke. Well I hate driving around on lease roads with my seatbelt on, so I did a quick google search and found a YouTube video on it, where he says its in the owners manual. So I went to look in the owners manual and found the procedure on how to activate/deactivate this feature.

So here it is for anyone that gets annoyed by the constant dinging while driving on lease roads or anything like that.
My version from pages 174-175 in the 2011 Super Duty Owners Guide for all the details.

The Belt-Minder feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:

Before following the procedure, make sure that the following conditions are met:
• the parking brake is set
• the gearshift is in P (Park)
• the ignition switch is in the off position
• all vehicle doors are closed
• the driver's safety belt is unbuckled
• the parklamps/headlamps are in the off position

Read Steps 1-5 thoroughly before proceeding with the deactivation/activation programming procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch in the ON position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately one minute)
• Step 3 must be completed within 30 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.
3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times at a moderate speed, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled state.
• After Step 3 is complete, the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds
• If Step 4 does not occur within 10 seconds at the end of Step 3, Belt-Minder will automatically exit programming mode without changing its enable status.
4. Within seven seconds of the light turning on, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
• This will disable the Belt-Minder feature if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will flash four times per second for three seconds.
• This will enable the Belt-Minder feature if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will flash four times per second for three seconds, followed by three seconds with the light off, then followed by the safety belt warning light flashing four times per second for three seconds again.
After receiving confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

Trevor008

Reaction score
Good post man! I drive around most of the day on a closed campus w/o a seatbelt on and that ding gets real annoying sometimes. I'll for sure be doing this. Thanks!

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Thanks! Figured it would help a lot of guys out, because it drives me crazy and I hate wearing it on the lease roads at work or when at the deer lease. I know I'm not the only one that hates it lol

dseitler

Reaction score
Thanks! Figured it would help a lot of guys out, because it drives me crazy and I hate wearing it on the lease roads at work or when at the deer lease. I know I'm not the only one that hates it lol

So what your saying is I didn't have to use my cordless with the 3/4 drill bit to drill thru the center of the sounder. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMCx2012

Reaction score
So what your saying is I didn't have to use my cordless with the 3/4 drill bit to drill thru the center of the sounder. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, Dan that's hilarious. Maybe this is worthy of a sticky? Thanks OP!!!

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
maybe sct can give us the door dinger delete like we had on the 6.4's .

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I think I did mine threw the dash on my truck, but could be wrong. Either way it normally tells you how to do it in the owners manual

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I did mine threw the dash on my truck, but could be wrong. Either way it normally tells you how to do it in the owners manual

probably right, but man i would have to read that thing !

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
first thing i did to mine off the lot was deactivate the dam seatbelt dinger! good info for those who didn't yet!!

live life full throttle

JRLott

Reaction score
first thing i did to mine off the lot was deactivate the dam seatbelt dinger! good info for those who didn't yet!!

live life full throttle

This. I think mine had 75 miles on it.

Now this "your door is open with the key in/door open in gear/emergency brake set and in gear" chime drives me bat sh!+ crazy. Other than unplugging the chime, can it be turned off? If unplugging is the only way, do post a how to, please.

Edit...spellin.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
This. I think mine had 75 miles on it.

Now this "your door is open with the key in/door open in gear/emergency brake set and in gear" chine drives me bat sh!+ crazy. Other than unplugging the chine, can it be turned off? If unplugging is the only way, do post a how to, please.
no chit! whatever happened to being able to slide the key 1/4 the way out of the ignition and it go off?

live life full throttle

dsberman94

Reaction score
geeze you guys whine a lot. just imagine how much worse it could be. it could talk to you and say, "Please remove your key from the ignition." But then again, you're all riding around in your brand new, comfortable, smooth, quiet trucks, which must be why a little noise bothers you. Bunch of old farts if ya ask me. HAHA. JK guys, i've been able to tune it out pretty well in my truck but it pisses the GF off and she ends up yanking the keys out of the ignition after about 6 seconds.

Latest posts

Members online