4r100 differences

Addicted4

Reaction score
Are there any differences between 99-03 7.3 diesel transmissions? I've been told that the 2000 model has its own but I didn't think there was.

NC714

Reaction score
I have very limited knowledge on transmissions, hopefully someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do believe one year model, between late 2000 and early 2001, had what was called a Mechanical Diode that was prone to failure. It is still a 4R100 Transmission.

Gunnnin

Reaction score
I have very limited knowledge on transmissions, hopefully someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do believe one year model, between late 2000 and early 2001, had what was called a Mechanical Diode that was prone to failure. It is still a 4R100 Transmission.

Yes there was something about a diode. However when it goes bad, the fix was to go back to old setup. So they all interchange to my knowledge.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The early '99s had a different converter, lockup solenoid, and pump body. All late '99 and later are interchangeable.

Having said that, you don't want one from the first half of the '01 model year, unless it's been rebuilt. That's when they had the mechanical diode one way clutch. It was a disaster. The trans is interchangable, it is just that the mechanical diode has an extremely high failure rate.

10shots

Reaction score
Mark , can you tell me the difference in the. E99 pump body . I changed the front half that has the bushing and seal and now the transmission has soft shifts , needing to to figure this out

10shots

Reaction score
The early '99s had a different converter, lockup solenoid, and pump body. All late '99 and later are interchangeable.

Having said that, you don't want one from the first half of the '01 model year, unless it's been rebuilt. That's when they had the mechanical diode one way clutch. It was a disaster. The trans is interchangable, it is just that the mechanical diode has an extremely high failure rate.

Mark , can you tell me the difference in the. E99 pump body . I changed the front half that has the bushing and seal and now the transmission has soft shifts , needing to to figure this out

10shots

Reaction score
4r100 pump

Do you think by me swapping pump half’s could cause a slight pressure lose , the transmission does not shift as hard and it very noticeable on the 3-4 as it slides then bangs on the shift at 3/4 throttle . I guessing there’s a issue with the pump half or a Teflon sealing ring

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You could put a 0-350 PSI gauge in the pressure test port and see what the pressures are. Check at idle in every position PRND21 and at stall in RD21.

10shots

Reaction score
I checked the pressures and 1st was a little low at stall speed . All others was in spec . Do you have any suggestions on why 1st is low on psi

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.