96 Toyota Tacoma Rock Crawler

Gear Head

Reaction score
New to the diesel world but wanted to share my biggest money pit. 96 Tacoma rock crawler that I've been building since January. Been a huge learning experience for me and I enjoy building it as much as wheeling it.

full?d=1441077167.jpg

full?d=1441077167.jpg

full?d=1441077167.jpg

full?d=1441077167.jpg

full?d=1440269424.jpg

full?d=1438447076.jpg

bmiller5

Reaction score
b08b7277cd618acb0929c6eaa3770668.jpg

-terrible quality, but I am always torn between putting money into my regular cab or the TJ. Both are fun

I see your much deeper into your Tacoma than I am the TJ. Just lockers, 4:88s, and 33's so far, but does great as is. What's all done to your Tacoma?

Gear Head

Reaction score
b08b7277cd618acb0929c6eaa3770668.jpg

-terrible quality, but I am always torn between putting money into my regular cab or the TJ. Both are fun

I see your much deeper into your Tacoma than I am the TJ. Just lockers, 4:88s, and 33's so far, but does great as is. What's all done to your Tacoma?

Nice! I figured there had to be another wheeler on here somewhere lol.

I'm running a fully built fj60 front(rcv's, arp's, ect), full float fj80 rear, 5.29's, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 dual cases, full hydro, 39.5" iroks, custom fuel cell, inboarded chevy 63's. That covers most of the important stuff haha

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Nice rig, I too had a TJ about 5 years ago. Worst part was it was built and a daily driver; auto locker and currie antirock system was fun.lol
I hope to pick up a taco in the future to build like yours..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gear Head

Reaction score
Nice rig, I too had a TJ about 5 years ago. Worst part was it was built and a daily driver; auto locker and currie antirock system was fun.lol
I hope to pick up a taco in the future to build like yours..

Nice dude, I have actually been dd'ing the tacoma for the last few days while waiting on paperwork for the 6.0 lol. I wheel with a lot of jeeps but I have always been a toyota guy. This is my 3rd tacoma but the first one that's built for wheeling. I had a built 82 toyota pickup on 37's before this

mater_5.jpg

Reaction score
Don't really have anything to show right now. Have a Jeep Comanche in the works that's an ever changing project. Will be basically a dedicated wheeler with minimal road use. I've owned several in the past. This one is my biggest project to date.

Gear Head

Reaction score
Don't really have anything to show right now. Have a Jeep Comanche in the works that's an ever changing project. Will be basically a dedicated wheeler with minimal road use. I've owned several in the past. This one is my biggest project to date.

Hell yeah! I have always loved commanche's. My taco is a trailer queen when wheeling but is still tagged to drive around town on the weekends, get's a lot of looks as well "got milk?" and "eat more chicken" comments lol.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Them Toyota's can be a Nasty wheeling machine. I rode with a guy who had the pathfinder with cut off rear and tons of work in the drive train. He would drop that into the lowest gear and do some serious crawling. I was apart of a couple off road clubs in the VA area.. the pathfinder made it through some of the same obstacles a 100k custom buggy made it just a little slower, that guy was one hell of a driver and new his rig vary well I asked him what he had wrapped up in it and he said $7500. I was blown away by the ability of it for such little money.
Gotta see if I can find some pics.

Gear Head

Reaction score
Them Toyota's can be a Nasty wheeling machine. I rode with a guy who had the pathfinder with cut off rear and tons of work in the drive train. He would drop that into the lowest gear and do some serious crawling. I was apart of a couple off road clubs in the VA area.. the pathfinder made it through some of the same obstacles a 100k custom buggy made it just a little slower, that guy was one hell of a driver and new his rig vary well I asked him what he had wrapped up in it and he said $7500. I was blown away by the ability of it for such little money.
Gotta see if I can find some pics.

Oh yeah you can have all the money in the world but you can't buy driving skill. I've have a similar number in mine and it works very well. I'd still like to link the front on coilovers someday..

bmiller5

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid build for sure. Is it 4cyl or 6? Mine is the gutless 2.4l but the regear helped dramatically on the trails/rocks.

I have always enjoyed watching "rock bouncers" on youtube, Tim Cameron and Bobby Tanner like to put on a good show. It blows my mind how well built and engineered those machines are... and how much $$$$ it takes to make them into what they are.

Gear Head

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid build for sure. Is it 4cyl or 6? Mine is the gutless 2.4l but the regear helped dramatically on the trails/rocks.

I have always enjoyed watching "rock bouncers" on youtube, Tim Cameron and Bobby Tanner like to put on a good show. It blows my mind how well built and engineered those machines are... and how much $$$$ it takes to make them into what they are.

I've got a 2.7L 4 cyl but I'm geared so low with so many options it really doesn't matter. Only time it really sucks is the highway. Constantly shifting betwenn 4th and 5th. Would like to turbo it one day but we'll see

nice yota!

Here's my XJ.

winterfest%2014%201_zpsozzyhzbf.jpg

Thanks man! Nice 2 door. That looks like a fun little ledge!

kmanxj

Reaction score
I've got a 2.7L 4 cyl but I'm geared so low with so many options it really doesn't matter. Only time it really sucks is the highway. Constantly shifting betwenn 4th and 5th. Would like to turbo it one day but we'll see

Thanks man! Nice 2 door. That looks like a fun little ledge!

Thanks. It's fun. Badlands Offroad park in Attica Indiana

patricku47

Reaction score
20150919_174413_zpssnipheuf.jpg

I do a bit of wheeling myself. Just got the Bronco a few months ago and I'm slowly getting it to where I want it. Right now its got Deaver springs, 36" Iroks, 4.56 gears, chromoly axles, and warn lockouts. This winter I may tear into it and add some more, but for right now its capable enough to have a good time.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Nice! I figured there had to be another wheeler on here somewhere lol.

I'm running a fully built fj60 front(rcv's, arp's, ect), full float fj80 rear, 5.29's, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 dual cases, full hydro, 39.5" iroks, custom fuel cell, inboarded chevy 63's. That covers most of the important stuff haha
Do you have a 4.0l and a 5spd manual in your jeep?

Gear Head

Reaction score
Thanks. It's fun. Badlands Offroad park in Attica Indiana

I've heard of that place. I have a buddy that lives in Illinois that frequents the badlands. He's in a built tacoma on tons, coilovers, and red labels

Gear Head

Reaction score
20150919_174413_zpssnipheuf.jpg

I do a bit of wheeling myself. Just got the Bronco a few months ago and I'm slowly getting it to where I want it. Right now its got Deaver springs, 36" Iroks, 4.56 gears, chromoly axles, and warn lockouts. This winter I may tear into it and add some more, but for right now its capable enough to have a good time.

Nice dude! I have seen a bronco group at my local wheeling spot and some of them were awesome. One was linked front and rear with a tubed out back half

Latest posts

Members online