Is it safe to daily drive in extreme tune?

williamallen13

Reaction score
I have a ******d 2011 f250 and want to know about the different tunes my sct race tuner came with. It cam with tow, street, street firm, performance, and extreme. When I first got the tuner I just kept it in performance and never really used the extreme. But here lately I've had it in extreme which I actually get the best mileage out of.
So is it okay to drive it everyday in the extreme tune so long as I don't get on it and keep boost below 25 psi? What about driving it for 2-3 hours on the freeway, would that be okay since I get my best mpg?
Can anyone explain the differences of these tunes? I know it has to do with the boost pressure and fueling but which tunes do what?

williamallen13

Reaction score
I do get on it from time to time but I still have the stock turbo and I'm at 160k so it's probably towards the end of it's life. I just want to know if driving in extreme is in some way bad for the engine unless I am racing? Then after racing would I need to put it in another tune? Or is it okay to drive it all the time in extreme?

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Just don't push it to its limits unless you're ready to upgrade the stock parts. I'm going to load the race tune in mine today just to see what it's like. Be sensible and you'll be fine.

macknjack

Reaction score
i would say as long as your not on it all the time you'll be fine. the more often you work it real hard the faster your stock components are going to fail. And 160k on your clock isn't anything.

DayTrader

Reaction score
My concern would be for the trans. I want to know I have the power to use at my discretion and when needed (traffic, etc) without having to worry if I'll be replacing the trans or a turbo before 100K.

LREHP

Reaction score
What stock parts are you guys saying you're concerned about? I am new to the 6.7s, but had a pretty built 6.0 before and beat it pretty good for 70k miles with no issues.
Picking up a 2012 now.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
My concern would be for the trans. I want to know I have the power to use at my discretion and when needed (traffic, etc) without having to worry if I'll be replacing the trans or a turbo before 100K.

11-14 trans is stout... with good tuning, you're going to have a hard time hurting it on the stock injection pump

randrball1

Reaction score
I have driven my truck daily on the race tune for the last 10,000 miles and even taken it on 8 hour road trips to Florida. I keep this tune loaded as it yields the best fuel economy, but I do not drive my truck like a spoiled teenager. If you keep your foot out of it, you'll be fine and fuel economy should yield low 20's.

Latest posts

Members online