New Turbo, Help With Install

barobbin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im relatively new to this forum. I have been on another forum that ends with .org for a while and thought I would venture over here and see how things roll with the army. Ive done some lurking around and it seems like most members over here know their stuff so I figured I would ask my questions here.

I have a 2011 6.7 ccsb. mods= minimaxx with spe tunes, intake and full 5" exhaust. I have also done the H&S cac pipe upgrade as my oem one went kaboom.

Went to drive my truck the other day and it was making some funky noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1ngglOdjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uDq4QfBYQ

So I pulled it apart and found some shaft play in the shaft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDDdTnPwxTE

Time for new turbo :evil

Called up Midwest Diesel and ordered a towmaxr with a 2015 injection pump, ccv re route and tuning to support it all.

Everything should be here on monday and I'm pumped to install everything! My only problem is that this is the first time I have torn into my truck more than the mods that I have previously mentioned. As of now, this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNQj6wB_jJE
is my only reference as to what I need to do.

So, what I am asking from y'all are tips and pointers as to what I need to do and if anyone has any advice. (I have plenty of beer on hand and I locked all of the guns in the safe so I'm not tempted to shoot this mf'er when my patience wears thin):biggun:

Thanks guys,
Brad

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
you will need a stwering wheel puller to get the gear off the injection pump for removel! you also have to line the marks up on cam gear and pump gear before u pull it off ! whick is behind the vaccum pump also u will need to replace fuel lines ! if u dont plan on replacing them be very carefull not to bend them but its a tight fit getting the oem pump out. i reused mine and there fine! turbo is pretty straight forword will need a pry bar to hit the up pipe clamps off cuz they will be tight as hell ! not bad at all ! i did my turbo than a few months my pump should be nice to do it all at once

barobbin

Reaction score
Okay ill add a steering wheel puller and a small pry bar to the list. I may get new fuel lines as well because I'm not very gentle on things sometimes. Im ordering an egt probe as well for the egr ****** I'm doing while in there. Is there anything else I should order while I'm at it? new coolant lines or fittings?

Also, I know I need to drain both cooling systems while I'm doing the job. I know how to drain the main one but where is the secondary? If anyone has the ford tech instructions that would be amazing.

Thanks,
Brad

maxxedout

Reaction score
I don't remember needing a gear puller when I installed my pump... Just line up the timing marks, loosen the nut, and unbolt the bolts on the back of the pump. It's pretty easy... The worst part of the job is dealing with the fuel lines.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I don't remember needing a gear puller when I installed my pump... Just line up the timing marks, loosen the nut, and unbolt the bolts on the back of the pump. It's pretty easy... The worst part of the job is dealing with the fuel lines.

^^ I'm with him. A second hand will help pull the old turba out and drop the new one in nice and easy. I used a mirror and flashlight to help me see the timing marks on the fuel pump gear. There is plugs on both sides of the radiator for draining. Be carful with the L shape hard coolant line with that O ring, I use vaseline over the O ring to help not break it. Take passenger side fenderwell out for your down pipe and all that.

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
If u totally remove the fuel line maybe pump will come out with gear but mine needed the puller to come off just because no way to grab it

maxxedout

Reaction score
I don't see how/why you would need a puller to remove the gear. I didn't even think it was possible to remove the pump without removing the gear first.

Remove the high pressure lines and brackets.
Line up the timing marks.
Remove the nut from the pump shaft/gear.
Remove the spacers/nuts from the rear of the pump.
Tap the pump shaft with a rubber mallet if need be.
Slide the pump out the back.

If I remember correctly, the gear stays in the timing cover the whole time.

barobbin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I wish someone had a tutorial or some instructions. This is my first attempt at anything like this. Would anyone happen to be in south east florida and willing to help a brother out? I'll buy the beer :toast:

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
i didnt remove the fuel line completly so maybe if u do that u wont need a puller ! pretty straight forword task though !

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.