Oil draining out of hpop reservoir

Diesel X

Reaction score
Truck had been hard to start for about a week or so. Sat all Memorial Day weekend and wouldn't start Tuesday morning. Got to it yesterday and no oil in hpop reservoir. Finally got it to fire off after long time of cranking. After shutting it off it would take a little extra cranking to fire again. It is definitely draining out quickly. Is there a check valve in the reservoir? If so any one have info on how to do it? Would need part # also.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Should of stated which truck, it's the 99. The hpop has been in there for a little over a year.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Oil level was just below the fill line. After it sits for a little while the level increases on the stick as the reservoir drains. Can anyone explain how the oil is kept in reservoir? Does the hpop hold it or is there a check valve? Going to Ford to get a hpop reservoir kit this morning. Going to pull the lid and see what's in there.

79jasper

Reaction score
I may have it backwards.
But with the early trucks the anti drain back valve is in the front cover. Newer trucks it's in the hpop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diesel X

Reaction score
It has the late 17* hpop in it. Would that make a difference or would the drain valve in the cover do it? How involved of a job is it to get to the valve in the cover?

Diesel X

Reaction score
Anyone? Need to get this fixed. If it's in the bottom of the reservoir I should be able to fix it .If it's in the front cover, time wise not sure. Anyone have a link to a parts diagram?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
There is a check valve but, that valve puts oil to the Rez first. You could make sure that oil is getting to the Rez while cranking but oil leaking from the Rez could be the injector o rings.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Just put in new ipr and icp on Saturday. Icp had a little hint of smoke coming from it when unplugged. I'll get it to start and check o rings. Takes forever to build pressure and start.Had a thought that might be something. When it was running Saturday there was a light hint of smoke out the exhaust. Nothing bad ,just random.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just put in new ipr and icp on Saturday. Icp had a little hint of smoke coming from it when unplugged. I'll get it to start and check o rings. Takes forever to build pressure and start.Had a thought that might be something. When it was running Saturday there was a light hint of smoke out the exhaust. Nothing bad ,just random.
if you replaced ipr and icp sensor then you probably introduced air into the system so starting it my be hard for a while until its cleared out. but the main concern now is the oil staying in hpop res? if it is then once it starts drive it hard after it is warmed up to help clear the air out of the system.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

juniort444e

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-51214.html

I am having similar issues with my truck. Tarm has an awesome write up in the link I posted. So far I have unhooked both hoop lines going to the heads and elevated them. My oil definitely is not leaking through injectors as the heads still had oil in them and the Rez was drained. So when I get time I have dig into the Rez to see what's leaking internally. I wouldn't have a clue what is tho.

Hope this helps you out some anyway.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Life happened. Focused my last 2 years of college on doing well instead of partying and my obsession with diesels, and graduated with my bachelors degree. Then had some rough patches with jobs, got married, added a child, now I'm bored and trying to rekindle my first love, but don't tell my wife.

Just bought an excursion for the convenience and comfort of the family life, and in the process of swapping everything over from my truck and selling it stock.

How about you Magnum?

hucorey

Reaction score
The check valve in the block may have something stuck in it. Iirc it's a 3/8" square drive pipe plug.

a3414d469f3ccf7e7c6525441f888d91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diesel X

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-51214.html

I am having similar issues with my truck. Tarm has an awesome write up in the link I posted. So far I have unhooked both hoop lines going to the heads and elevated them. My oil definitely is not leaking through injectors as the heads still had oil in them and the Rez was drained. So when I get time I have dig into the Rez to see what's leaking internally. I wouldn't have a clue what is tho.

Hope this helps you out some anyway.

Thanks for the link. Getting on it today. Work got in the way this week. When I got it started after replacing the ipr and icp it ran better than before. Must of had a couple of problems. Do I take the reservoir off to get to the valve or can you get to it inside the reservoir?

Diesel X

Reaction score
Seen where it was and it doesn't look easy. Took the hpop lines off at the heads and both rails had oil in them. Neither oil line had oil in them. Would that be agood sign that there is no problems with injectors or o rings? Filled the reservoir and left the lines up. Just pasted the one line at a time for now.

juniort444e

Reaction score
If you removed the hpop lines from the heads and the heads had oil but the Rez was empty, then your injector seals should be fine. I wouldn't do each head at this point, because all that is for is to help figure which side or sides may be the issue, and since you still had oil in the heads I wouldn't worry about it.

Next would be figuring where it's leaking in the front cover, check valve or whatever else in the Rez area.

Latest posts

Members online