2016 6.7 injector noise?

NHRMK

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2016 6.7, it has 10xxx on the clock. In the two weeks it's started running louder like a 7.3 almost and the regens have been happening more often like between 100 to 250 miles, before was around 350 to 400. Almost every tank and a half. It's also started to make a chattering noise when coasting and letting off light throttle from 10 to 30 mph then stops when returning to idle. Also idling had a vibration through the cab in park. Took it to the dealer said it was nothing to worry about but did the new regen TSB without replacing the valves. It still has the same noise, the idle is much smoother now but I got two codes after driving an hour P02DA and P02CE which are injector learn minimum offset limit. There is a TSB I found 16-0064. Which calls to power balance the injectors. Any other thoughts on the coasting noise ? Just started so I can't imagine it's normal.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I would take it strait to the dealership for an injector test. Should be under warranty. Let us know what they find.

NHRMK

Reaction score
Appointment made for this Thursday, they couldn't get it in any sooner. Told me not to drive it besides taking it down to the dealer Thursday. But gave me a loaner for the time being. Has anyone had to have there cab off to replace the injector(s)? Was told that was going to have to happen if one was bad. They asked the tech about the constant -5.5 degree timing and he had no clue, never heard of it staying negative. No codes since the balance just more injector noise when driving. And won't finish a regen because its over heating at the 1st probe.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You got problems. And it sounds exactly like a stuck injector. Or sticking injectors I should say.

NHRMK

Reaction score
Yeah it's starting to sound like a big headache. How much abuse can the cylinders take if the injector was to be sticking? Just curious if there going to throw new injectors but not inspect the valves or pistons. I don't drive it much since the issue started maybe 300 miles 400 tops. Haven't towed or beat on so not much heat besides the regen.

sootie

Reaction score
shouldn't need to pull the cab to do injectors. They aren't like six fours. Its about a four hour job tops to change a full set from under the hood.

NHRMK

Reaction score
Thats what I thought , thought the 6.7's were suppose to be serviceable without cab removal besides major motor work. Trying to get it in a day early will know by the end of the day.

NHRMK

Reaction score
Good stuff to hear, thanks guys. just sounded like more of a headache for a brand new truck. Any worries about burning valves or Pistons with the low amount of miles ? I feel like I caught it pretty early, I pay good attention to my rigs for when something isn't normal. It's parked till Thursday now. Good idea to change the oil if it was an injector or injectors ?

NHRMK

Reaction score
Well got the truck back with no luck, still drives loud and idles quiet, they looked into the noise and called it normal operation of the injectors pulling back fuel to maintain rpms. Never hear this noise until it hit 9800 miles so I don't understand why I would be noticing this all the sudden. But the truck tried to regen tonight didn't complete it again. Concentration stopped at 1.20 %. They checked the injectors on the laptop said they didn't notice anything different, checked balances and they were fine, at one point they did note they had a big fluctuation but after that they couldn't duplicate it again. I know the noise is an injector. But I don't know my options at this point now. ?

Jomax

Reaction score
Well got the truck back with no luck, still drives loud and idles quiet, they looked into the noise and called it normal operation of the injectors pulling back fuel to maintain rpms. Never hear this noise until it hit 9800 miles so I don't understand why I would be noticing this all the sudden. But the truck tried to regen tonight didn't complete it again. Concentration stopped at 1.20 %. They checked the injectors on the laptop said they didn't notice anything different, checked balances and they were fine, at one point they did note they had a big fluctuation but after that they couldn't duplicate it again. I know the noise is an injector. But I don't know my options at this point now. ?

I've never had my *** go to zero after a regen. It would stop around 1.2. That's normal.

The sound on the other hand. Doesn't sound right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe d

Reaction score
Different dealer or start insisting its wrong.. Or just blow it up let them fix it and say i told you so.

NHRMK

Reaction score
Before the update it would always shutdown around .090 to 1.00 and continue to burn until it cooled down. But that doesnt bug me just the noise, it has a random miss at idle, They changed the filters around the same time i cant remember if it was before the noise or after. There are no leaks that I can see and power seems to be there, just noisy injectors more than usual, can hear them over the radio and mud tires. They didnt close the paper work out so its going back down monday morning I guess ill have to start a case with ford. All the parameters are where they should be and no codes since the fuel table reset.

cappa

Reaction score
My bad, drunk post. Sounds quite in the vid is all, i'm sure it sounds different in person but from the vid sounds super silent for a diesel. i had a 6.0 before so the 6.7 could be crazy loud and it would still seem abnormaly quite compared to my past diesel experience. The 04 6.0 sounded sick thou, just way louder.

NHRMK

Reaction score
The case muffles it down, but it's quiet cause it's coasting that's when the noise occurs.

sootie

Reaction score
Sounds like the sticky valve syndrome that a few on here have had...

NHRMK

Reaction score
That crossed my mind, but this does this 5 minutes into leaving the driveway, oddly runs quieter in regen and doesn't make the noise, if you put it in tow haul you can get it to continue to make the noise until a complete stop almost.

cappa

Reaction score
Yeah i can hear the noise now on my phone. My ipad has crappy speakers. I would keep on the dealer and maybe try a different one if they can't fix the problem. I have 26000 kms on mine and looking to ****** soon so have been closely listening for any odd noises as well. So far nothing other than a tick occasionally after an oil change. I did however have a slight oil pan leak that the dealer fixed. A different dealer was no help thou and overfilled my truck by 2.5 litres on the first oil change, i won't be going back there. Second dealer was super helpful thou.

Latest posts

Members online