cold hard start issue

Geauga6.0

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry I don't reach out online much unless I am at the end of my road nor do I want to beat a dead horse. Heres the issue the obvious truck cranks to what seems as normal speed to me, fires for a second then dies. Have to do this two or three times until she fires and runs way rough on her own until warm. Then she's fine for the rest of the day. I do have a block heater which I plug in at home and have no issues with her firering up. It's when I'm at work with no plug in. Recently bought her used with a 138,000 from a ford dealership. They say they changed the oil and all filters including fuel. Put two new batteries in and a laundry list of other things. When I bought her it was August hot outside. She started and ran great. Now it's December and she Hates to fire and run. Here's a list of things I have done since the issue started.

Changed oil over to Rotella T6 with Archoil added
Changed glow plugs (Bench tested the new ones)
Changed GP harness then Ohm'd everything out harness and plugs
Checked voltage coming from the GPCM getting 12.8 W/O engine running
Checked FICM 48.2v in acc 48.2v running
Load tested both batteries they show and hold 12.9v under load
Don't own a pro scanner yet just have Bluedriver ODBII but it shows no hard or soft codes.

I'm sure I'm over looking something as this is my first time owning a powerstroke but any help is help at this point. Thanks much!

Side note about a month ago before it got cold outside my kid accidentally left the key in acc over night and drained the batteries. I threw the charger on long enough to get her to fire. Don't know if that could have done anything.

Atsah

Reaction score
My guess would be sticking spool valves on many of your injectors.. If you have no issue when plugged in, it's either one of two things, injector issues or a an issue in the glow plug circuit..

Geauga6.0

Reaction score
Oh and of course I forgot to mention what engine. it's a 6.0 if you haven't figured by my screen name. Thanks Atsah for the suggestion.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya, even if you didn't put it in the 6.0 section and 6.0 wasn't in your user name, most of us here would know it was a 6.0.. LOL

Geauga6.0

Reaction score
LOL Atsah. Now whats the best way of going about's finding the bad or several bad injectors? Because this is sounding more and more like my issue. Even with the archoil in it has not helped.

webb06

Reaction score
Very surprised the archoil hasn't helped.

But it does sound like a case of injector stiction. If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and replace all 8 and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure. With it dying after a second of running, sounds like fuel pressure may be bleeding off. Are you parked nose up typically? If so try parking nose down, see if that helps. The anti drain back valve in the pump may he failing, so its all going back to the tank.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
We had a cold snap down below zero and even w/ two 1050 CCA batteries it barely started after several seconds of cranking. And even then it loped like a cammed big block for almost 10 secs or so then it would idle rough for another 10-15 sec then it was fine.

It was not plugged in and hasn't been plugged in at all this year. I"m too cheap to run the plug unless it will be sitting for weeks and I know I'll be using it the day-before, then it will get plugged in for that night if temps are close to single digits or there will be heavy snow.

New GP, new harness, etc and even it ohm ok. No change in weather but a new GPCM and it fires up w/ old 750 CCA batteries. My DH are on the charger and I haven't swapped but for me it ended up being the GPCM. You can get pull-offs on ebay for about $50 or "new" chineseiums for about $90.

Oh and keep the batteries fully charged and fresh until you get it figured out. You'll kill them and battery prices today are f-'d up!

Good luck!

sootie

Reaction score
my vote is on injectors but i would still watch icp volts while cranking. also try unpluging the icp sensor prior to starting and see if it makes a difference.

crcrawford87

Reaction score
What oil filter is on the truck? Sounds like it's not picking up oil and the hpop reservoir is running dry, may be a pickup tube or oil filter and stand pipe issue or broken filter housing check valve.

Latest posts

Members online