Stuck in Forward gears

HighSilver

Reaction score
My 2004 F350 started having a delay when shifting in to drive and reverse randomly just recently. Yesterday I went for a short drive and when I went to head home it almost didnt shift into drive at all and drove home in limp mode.

When I got into my driveway and tried to put it in reverse it is stuck in forward. I noticed after putting it into park and shutting the key off that it rolls back a bit to just releave that forward pressure. I tested the same thoery today and found in neutral the transmission is still pushing forward and after turning the key off it rolls back.

I got these codes
P1744
P2700
P2703

I cleared the dtc and started it back up and tried cycling thru the gears and it did not bring those codes back up. Im about to drop the tranny pan but I dont know if there is a visual tell on the solenoids if they have failed.

HighSilver

Reaction score
Finally got the courage to drop the pain. I was too afraid of the trans being toast. I'm thinking I'm just gonna order a full solenoid kit and replace them all.
21c4a1d76f47249728a3938a3c2b4fec.jpg

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Order two sets of solenoids. If you put a new set of solenoids in this trans they will get contaminated and ruined in a very short time. You'll need to second set for when you rebuild the trans, which is what you need to do now.

Your forward clutch has failed and welded itself together. New solenoids are not going to help with that.

HighSilver

Reaction score
Care to explain why? I was just under the impression these solenoids are known for having problems bu if there is something I'm missing from my fault codes and the condition of my trans fuild I'd really appreciate the info

HighSilver

Reaction score
Order two sets of solenoids. If you put a new set of solenoids in this trans they will get contaminated and ruined in a very short time. You'll need to second set for when you rebuild the trans, which is what you need to do now.

Your forward clutch has failed and welded itself together. New solenoids are not going to help with that.
If I remove the valve body can I tell for sure? Would be bad for me to rebuild the trans. I've only owned it for 2 months and don't have the funds for that.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Care to explain why? I was just under the impression these solenoids are known for having problems bu if there is something I'm missing from my fault codes and the condition of my trans fuild I'd really appreciate the info
They are known for sticking when they get contaminated from material from a failing clutch.

The thing you are missing is that the forward clutch is applied by the manual valve. It is not connected to any solenoid. So if you replace the solenoids the forward clutch will still be on all the time and nothing will change.

If I remove the valve body can I tell for sure?
You won't be able to see the clutch with the valve body removed. To check the clutch you need to remove it. It comes out the front of the trans.

HighSilver

Reaction score
Thank you I very much appreciate the information I haven't not found much direct information to my problem only stuff that is close to the problem so that led me to think it was electronic.

I understand now what your saying about the manual valve but thing only I don't understand is why I can only physically push the truck backwards is in neutral after I have shut it off.

I park in front of my garage and from testing the problem I ended up closer to my garage door. I finally able to roll truck backwards only have leaving it in neutral and off. Running in neutral and even in park I could feel the forward pressure being applied by the transmission. With the forward pressure being relieved after turning the key off is what led me to think an electronic problem.

Thanks again my automatic knowledge is very limited and I'm trying to understand the reason for fail.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The forward clutch is supposed to release when the trans is in neutral or park. Yours is welded together so that it can't release. So the trans is always in forward gear, even in park, reverse, and neutral.

When you shut the engine off the torque converter isn't providing torque into the trans, so it can roll backward, even though it is technically still in a forward gear. Without the engine running the trans can turn backwards.

HighSilver

Reaction score
Makes sense. Definitely explains what I'm experiencing unfortunately. Thanks for the help.

Zmann

Reaction score
agree
that fluid looks pretty bad

and did you pull the fines off of the drain magnet yet ?
looks pretty fuzzy

HighSilver

Reaction score
No I have not. I was in a hurry yesterday before I went out of town so I put the pan backup with a few bolts

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.