hpop

junglejoe

Reaction score
Hey all. I put studs and gaskets and 155/30 injectors in my truck. Got it all back together . I went to fire it up..no start! Have oil pressure on the dash. Cranked and cranked and cranked..NOTHING. Not even a burp.
Truck has never failed to start and never has been plugged in for the winters. Friend did an air test on the hpop and as soon as he turned the air on.. You can hear it leaking . Put new IPR valve in before that just to eliminate that.. The old one clean as a whistle,BUT the screen was dented and broke. What could have caused that?

Any idea what I/we could check?

junglejoe

Reaction score
Was the ipr commanded closed when the air test was done?

I do not know the answer to that. In fact.. Not sure what you mean. I could hear air down by the turbo if that helps any??

Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Here is one other thing..he tried cranking it over with the ipr valve out and said no oil was coming out..

ghohouston

Reaction score
The ipr is a valve that directs your high pressure oil to your injectors. Its default value is open, where you wont be making pressure (not directing oil to the injectors), you have to send power to the ipr when air testing the high pressure oil system. The ipr is right under the turbo, and if not energized, you would have heard the leak there.

junglejoe

Reaction score
I don't think he energized it. I didn't see anything other than air hooked to the truck. I don't think the hpop just went out from taking the truck apart.. Its something he isn't doing right or didn't do right..
The truck has NEVER failed or hestistaed to start.. In any conditions.. Hot or cold.

Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Here is pictures of the IPR valve screen.. what would cause it to get smashed in?

Attachments

• IMG_6632.jpg
    IMG_6632.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 53

junglejoe

Reaction score
No.. I replaced the oil cooler and welded the Egr cooler shut (******
*d) back about 10k miles ago. Then I popped the gaskets.. So why I was doing the studs and gaskets decided to upgrade the injectors just a tad. I've never had an issue out of the truck as far as not starting until now.
When I did the oil cooler,I put one of those bullet proof remote mounts at the time so when and if the oil cooler went again it would be a 30 minute job. Which it clogged again.

There was one weird thing it do now that I think about it,I changed the oil one time and cranked the truck over with thaw hotwire that's over there in the passenger side fender to build oil pressure upland it never would. So I'm like now wtf!!? I took one of the oil hoses off the remote mount,poured a little oil down it thinking maybe its not priming. Cranked it over again with the hotwire and almost instantly it got oil pressure. Went inside the cab hit the key.. Fired instantly. Only weird issue I had with the truck until now

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Im just gonna take a guess that some trash of some sort made its way through the hpop/ipr. Did you have a look at the injector o rings/ stand pipes/dummy plugs while it was apart, or just throw it all back together? Were all o rings oiled before re installation? You need a scanner at this point. Need to monitor icp actual psi and duty cycle. Just how much cranking have you done? There are a TON of things that could cause a no start after having the heads off the motor. First and foremost, after you have the high pressure oil system open, it will take a good bit of cranking to get the truck started again, especially after having the heads off. Other things could be ficm harness not properly all plugged in, oil level, grounds, not priming the fuel system, etc...

Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
The dummy plugs were replaced I do believe. I was not there at that time. The injectors are new.from River City Diesel. I assume they come with new orings?? The hpop has not been messed with at all..

I know its hard to diagnosis over the net and I appreciate your help... Ill relay the information or show him this thread when I go over there to the shop.. Just watched a video that says that air coming out of the hpop is normal under air test.. THANKS.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Just to update and hopefully the last.. Replaced HPOP and fires right up. So when the truck was apart apparently the HPOP was weak or something and it just would not prime up. It NEVER failed to start though.. No matter what. Weird but its running again and hopefully for a while!!

Latest posts

Members online