Do my shocks even serve a purpose?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have basically have a full leaf lift, truck really rides extremely hard and I feel absolutely no suspension action at all. The shocks all around are rusted through, and I had one snap today when I loaded the bed. Am I even getting any sort of benefit from having them?

20170127_233324_zpsld5opr3b.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yea, I understand that... but I dont think I have much of either LOL... this thing is brutal

Jomax

Reaction score
Get rid your your crappy springs. Then put better shocks.

Even with your buckboard ride. The shock still do something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Put some fox 2.0's on there. There was a noticeable difference on my dad's full leaf spring super duty when we put them on there, still a rough ride but took some harshness out and more controlled.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What options do I have here with springs? Im def not going to a smaller spring pack with blocks. I like the fact that this truck can take corners like a sports car, I feel Id lose that with a softer spring.

I will look into these 2.0s.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
A softer spring with the right shock will still corner really well, but it won't feel like your riding a farm wagon around town.

That is how my 350 used to ride and i thought it was worth it to keep the way it handled. Then I rode in a carli suspension truck with either Fox or King shocks(I don't remember which). Completely handled the same, but the bumps that had me bouncing off the seat would just make the truck move a little and that was it.

I am not saying everyone should go with carli, just that you don't have to have that harsh a ride.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Two philosophies on cornering. Stiff springs with a small sway bar or big sway bar with lighter springs. Shocks control the spring rate. If your springs have a high spring rate, which it sounds like they are, you need a stiff shock.
Most of your cornering will come from the front. You could leave the front like it is and soften the rear some and I bet you wouldn't notice anything in corners but just a better ride over bumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I'll take softer springs and bigger sway bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I agree. That is what I am going with for the new setup for the Excursion. I plan to try 4400# or 4800# front springs and I have 2012 rear springs for the truck.

Combine that with 2.0 or 2.5 King/Fox shocks and Hellwig sway bars and I think it should ride and handle well.

Add in traction bars, steering stabilizers, and a 3 link and should ride and handle great!!

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Op, I have a similar issue. I used full replacement springs for a 9" lift because I did not want a yuge lift block. I have king piggybacks in the rear and it rides like a tank. The front of the truck rides amazing. I know that it is in the springs. I lubed everything during install, then loosened everything up for a drive to see if I had it in a bind, but nothing helped. I wish I would have kept my stock springs and added more block. My plan is to 4 link the rear later this year.

Latest posts

Members online