towing roughly 10k lbs

04cr450

Reaction score
taking a load of copper and metal to the scrap yard tomorrow. i figure with trailer around 10lbs and change. Running gh hot street tune. Safe to tow with this tune? First time towing with the 6.7. I don't have my cts in yet to read egt's(reason why i ask). No steep hills just normal driving, thanks in advance.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I was stupid overweight, (not proud, just saying) 5 pallets of sod, car hauler and two mowers. was on bump stops. something like 22k lbs on tow tune, never even got warm, just keep air moving and don't lug it

Jomax

Reaction score
I tow 15k in my race tune. You're fine... my egts stay under 1300 going up a 10mile grade out of Indio, CA passing cars LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
first time towing with the 6.7... i know it wasn't much weight on what i towed(exactly 9,345 lbs.) I had on the trailer, but the truck pulled it like it was empty, impressed for sure.
I worry to much i guess lol. You'll have to forgive my ignorance on these simple/somewhat stupid questions, i have not had a lot of seat time still with this truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
first time towing with the 6.7... i know it wasn't much weight on what i towed(exactly 9,345 lbs.) I had on the trailer, but the truck pulled it like it was empty, impressed for sure.
I worry to much i guess lol. You'll have to forgive my ignorance on these simple/somewhat stupid questions, i have not had a lot of seat time still with this truck.

Never a dumb question. First time I towed I put it in the tow tune. Did that once, then never again. Truck probably has 30k towing in the race tune.

04cr450

Reaction score
fair enough- i always search first.. but, there is not much info/ feedback on towing with the 6.7's tuned etc etc. i need to make the switch to my gh race tune hearing all this from you, need to figure out this dead spot/lag feel first. might just be tuning/nature of the truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
fair enough- i always search first.. but, there is not much info/ feedback on towing with the 6.7's tuned etc etc. i need to make the switch to my gh race tune hearing all this from you, need to figure out this dead spot/lag feel first. might just be tuning/nature of the truck.

Dead spot/lag in what tune/in which gear etc?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I was stupid overweight, (not proud, just saying) 5 pallets of sod, car hauler and two mowers. was on bump stops. something like 22k lbs on tow tune, never even got warm, just keep air moving and don't lug it

Get some air bags, if its not squatting its not overloaded.

As far as tunes go if I am towing more than 15k ish ill knock mine down to the tow tune just because with the cruise on on the hot tune, I have had my truck completely drain the rials and shut down when the truck downshifted going up a hill. These trucks tow great even on a hot tune though, just have know when to back out if needed, my trailer alone weighs 7500 empty and I'm plated for 32K which doesn't take much to hit and go a little over but the truck always handles it like a champ. My next purchase is a little more stopping power though.

04cr450

Reaction score
Draining the fuel rails? Interesting. Is that because you have the smaller fuel pump? Will a 15/16 do this on a race tune towing big weight? If I had to guess I wouldn't think due to the bigger pump.

Jomax

Reaction score
Draining the fuel rails? Interesting. Is that because you have the smaller fuel pump? Will a 15/16 do this on a race tune towing big weight? If I had to guess I wouldn't think due to the bigger pump.

I've towed 20k up a 6% grade holding 65-70mph. In the race tune, zero issues. His pump is smaller.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I've towed 20k up a 6% grade holding 65-70mph. In the race tune, zero issues. His pump is smaller.

Not nice to comment about another mans smaller pump

It just down shifted real hard causing the rpms to surge up pretty good and drain the rail, the pump isn't exactly the strongest either. If I was on the pedal instead of on cruise control it would of been and I could of better controlled the shifting.

Jomax

Reaction score
Not nice to comment about another mans smaller pump

It just down shifted real hard causing the rpms to surge up pretty good and drain the rail, the pump isn't exactly the strongest either. If I was on the pedal instead of on cruise control it would of been and I could of better controlled the shifting.

Lol

Latest posts