Ford Navigation with sync - Unclipped Line Out

Reaction score
Hi all,

For those who are trying to achieve good SQ with the stock navigation, I'm sure you're aware that the Sony Navs are not the greatest. The reason is that the programming in the audio control module (ACM) is purposefully clipped from Ford (plenty of info out there; search "Ford ACM line-out").

In stock form the ACM outputs a very line output. it's so low that the only way you can utilize it is leaving it connected to the factory amp under the driver side dash Or using a LOC to increase the voltage. I tried both of these methods from the start and the SQ was horrible. Huge db dips from 700-2000hz. No matter what i tried could not fix the dip.

Upon some research I found out that other platforms were eliminating this by using FORscan to change the output from the ACM. I can testify that it works for a 2010 Ford Factory Nav. I was able to change the coding using FORscan and now have an unclipped, 4v, line out, directly from the head unit without utilizing the factory amp. You can now feed this directly into your DSP without any other equipment.

Hope this helps out other audiophiles.

Regards,

-P.M.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Is it only on factory radios with the nav and upgraded Sony systems that have clipped signals? I have just the dumb radio with AM FM and CD (no OEM amp) and plan to use an LOC for my amp and subs

Reaction score
Is it only on factory radios with the nav and upgraded Sony systems that have clipped signals? I have just the dumb radio with AM FM and CD (no OEM amp) and plan to use an LOC for my amp and subs
I can't speak for the non-nav unit's sound quality. I've never measured its output with an oscilloscope. I assume would be like any normal radio since they don't have, basically, a computer inside.

The Sony Nav units produce less than 1v pre-amp And a horribly clipped signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Would this improve the factory sound systems as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I don't think it would because the Sony amp is made to work with the extremely low voltage output.

You could try , but I wouldn't recommend it. Taking the voltage from less than 1v to 4v would cause some havoc on an amp.

Also, you might lose the factory sound processing.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Just curious. Im not even remotely savy in sound systems. But i know a guy that is.

MorganM

Reaction score
Cool discovery- thanks for sharing.

Have you been able to access the head unit? My 2012 defaults to Line In if in the "Media" setting and I'd like to make the default source = Bluetooth. Searched but didn't find anything suggesting this has/n't been attempted.

Reaction score
Cool discovery- thanks for sharing.

Have you been able to access the head unit? My 2012 defaults to Line In if in the "Media" setting and I'd like to make the default source = Bluetooth. Searched but didn't find anything suggesting this has/n't been attempted.
In our trucks the ACM is the head unit. I don't know which address addresses your concern. I know that previous to the software update released by Ford, mine defaulted to Bluetooth as long as my phone was connected.

I'll have to check post update.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
So could you remove the sirius from the radio selections? It would be nice as i doubt ill continue the subscription and with all the crap i have to hit the media button 10 times to go between fm and bluetooth

Reaction score
So could you remove the sirius from the radio selections? It would be nice as i doubt ill continue the subscription and with all the crap i have to hit the media button 10 times to go between fm and bluetooth

I guess you could if there was coding for a non-siruis radio..... take a look at the Google docs spreadsheet that powerstroked08 posted on the FORscan conversation.

In that spreadsheet there's a breakdown of the coding. That sheet is for f150s, not everything is correct for superdutys but you'll get an idea of what can be done.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
thanks for this post. I am about to start on my audison system! I didn't want to mess with stereo becuase of ****ttie output from head unit. You may have saved my day!!:)

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Bought the wife a 2015 Expedition about a year ago. Has the sony nav unit and I'm completely underwhelmed with it's sound. I found a setting where you can switch from "stereo" to "surround" that helped some but it's still really poor. Is there something I'm missing or are they just that bad?

Reaction score
thanks for this post. I am about to start on my audison system! I didn't want to mess with stereo becuase of ****ttie output from head unit. You may have saved my day!!:)
I also use audison. It is VERY picky on input voltage and signal cleanliness.

Glad I could help.

Reaction score
Bought the wife a 2015 Expedition about a year ago. Has the sony nav unit and I'm completely underwhelmed with it's sound. I found a setting where you can switch from "stereo" to "surround" that helped some but it's still really poor. Is there something I'm missing or are they just that bad?

they suck. I've spent quite a bit of time scoping the head unit in stock form, it clips significantly. I assume for speaker protection.

You could try to change the settings using FORscan. But, as i mentioned above, I don't know if you could cause damage to the factory amp.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
I guess you could if there was coding for a non-siruis radio..... take a look at the Google docs spreadsheet that powerstroked08 posted on the FORscan conversation.

In that spreadsheet there's a breakdown of the coding. That sheet is for f150s, not everything is correct for superdutys but you'll get an idea of what can be done.

Which Forscan conversation are you referencing here? Looking to apply what you have here and need to research. Thanks!

Also, sent you a PM

Reaction score

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Hey Pete, bringing this back up. What line did you modify to achieve your fixed or variable line level out in the ACM as built?

727-01-01 is what I recall but I can't remember which digit to change or what to change it to

Reaction score
Hey Pete, bringing this back up. What line did you modify to achieve your fixed or variable line level out in the ACM as built?

727-01-01 is what I recall but I can't remember which digit to change or what to change it to

Hey man, Sorry for the delay. been super busy with work and school. Below is a screen shot from the f150 spreadsheet. Since my truck is a '10, I didn't trust the descriptions for each variable. So, i chose to scope the outputs on each. I ended up using choosing variable 5. That gave me the cleanest unclipped line output all the way to 3 clicks from full volume.

hope that helps.

Attachments

• line level change screen clip.jpg
    line level change screen clip.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Members online