New steering wheel wobble, please read!!

sstrobl

Reaction score
So the other night I went to rotate my tires. I used the bottle jack from the backseat on the front and a floor jack in the rear. The bottle jack isn't tall enough to get both 37" tires off the ground so I put a 4x4 under it which I've done in the past. Long story short I tried pulling the wheel off the drivers front first and the bottle jack crunched the 4x4 and rolled over. It dropped the truck about an inch. The wheel and tire were still on luckily but it was tilted so the trucks weight came down on a crooked wheel. I got it back up and bolted everything back down.
I was nervous I bent the lug studs or something so I drove it and now I have a steering wheel/truck wobble around 55mph. Seems fine at other speeds. It's possible it did it before and I didn't really notice but now I'm paranoid. But it wobbles pretty good so I think I screwed something up. Doesn't feel out of control or anything. I made sure all the lugs were tight because I had the same wobble once after a few lugs loosened up on me. Is it possible I bent the lugs or hub assembly somehow. The lugs are still centered in the rim holes so they can't be that far off. I couldn't have bent the wheel I don't think? Trail ready 17" beadlooks. Hoping someone might have some input as to what might have happened.

Magnetic 2016 f250

Reaction score
Could be one of the rear tires are a little out of balance, and moving those tires to the front, might be why you can feel it in the steering wheel now. Hopefully that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sstrobl

Reaction score
I didn't end up moving any tires I kinda freaked out that something got fubarred and didn't change anything so unfortunately it's not that.

JRLott

Reaction score
This won't help you now, but there's a reason jack stands exist.

Glad you didn't get hurt, and hope whatever may be wrong is cheap to fix.

ckrueg

Reaction score
It's possible the wheel holes were messed up. Or the studs could have been slightly bent. It only takes a little to make it vibrate. Look how small wheels weights are and they if they are off you will get vibration

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sstrobl

Reaction score
Yes I knew someone would have to mention jackstands. I was being lazy and now I have problems. 37x13.5 toyo mts weigh almost 100lbs by themselves not including the rim. If I put he truck high enough to get stands under it I have to lifts the wheels 6" and line them up which is pretty tough to do. Next time I will tho I promise ya that. The wheels are aluminum so I'm wondering if I bent the holes or something. Grrr

JRLott

Reaction score
Holy hell...you have some seriously tall stands. Dang. I understand lazy. I'm one of the worst. I also understand gravity, stability, and hydraulic failures. Know people who've been killed and injured from those things. Don't want to be or anyone else to be one of them.
Again, I hope you find what is wrong and it's a cheap fix. Even if it is expensive, it's much cheaper than a funeral or learning to walk on your new prosthetic leg.
Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass.

Last edited:

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Yes I knew someone would have to mention jackstands. I was being lazy and now I have problems. 37x13.5 toyo mts weigh almost 100lbs by themselves not including the rim. If I put he truck high enough to get stands under it I have to lifts the wheels 6" and line them up which is pretty tough to do. Next time I will tho I promise ya that. The wheels are aluminum so I'm wondering if I bent the holes or something. Grrr
Probally worth paying a few dollars,and let a tire shop rotate them.Can't cost that much.Beast getting killed,by truck falling on you!:fustrate:

sstrobl

Reaction score
Yeah I should have just had it done with my oil change up at the dealer. Now I'm thinking I bent a rim and that will cost me $500. I'm thinking if I can find a tire shop with a large enough balancer they could help me determine if it's the wheel. Hard part is finding a sop that can do a 37x13.5

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure almost any shop can. How else would they get them on there. They'll probably have to take the tire off the wheel anyway.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Yeah I should have just had it done with my oil change up at the dealer. Now I'm thinking I bent a rim and that will cost me $500. I'm thinking if I can find a tire shop with a large enough balancer they could help me determine if it's the wheel. Hard part is finding a sop that can do a 37x13.5
I'm not familiar with trail ready are the wheels hub centric or lug centric?

sstrobl

Reaction score
I called the guy from trailready and he said he highly doubts I bent a wheel. He said they almost always break before they bend. And I roughly measured the lugs at the ends and they all seem to be spaced pretty evenly. As close as I can measure with a tape. Maybe I need to bring home a dial caliper and check them at the inside and the outside but I would think if it's wobbling it would be fairly noticeable. I also moved the wheel to the back and it seems the same if not maybe a little worse. I'm kinda stumped. All the wobble threads I've looked at seem to be related to the trackbar but that looks fine and I don't know how that would have been affected. What else could have been tweaked? The truck dropped about an inch I don't see how it could have been more impact then any bump in the road but maybe I'm wrong.

sstrobl

Reaction score
Well hard to believe but I checked my tire pressure and it had dropped quite a bit and different levels so I aired them up and now it seems to be fine. Doesn't make sense to me but I'll keep this updated with any new info

NMSVT

Reaction score
Glad you found the problem! My truck wobbles a bit at 55 and 90... I'm going to have to check the air pressure as I have the tire pressure sensors off on the mini max

sstrobl

Reaction score
Well after a few days I can tell there is a very small amount of wobble still. Not sure if it was always there and I'm just noticing now because it got bad for awhile. I was thinking of taking it for an alignment since I never did after I got my carli setup bolted on. Think it could be in the castor degree?

Brewhaha

Reaction score
Have your tires balanced. Your little experience may have knocked off a wheel weight

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sstrobl

Reaction score
They're balanced with the the little pellets or whatever they are. Never had an issue with them except when I first put them on I used a cordless impact and a couple lugs weren't tight enough. Felt the exact same way it does now.

sstrobl

Reaction score
Figured it out! Rotated the opposite side tires and that got rid of it all. I had loosened all the lugs before lifting the truck so when it came down one of the passenger side wheels must of came unseated a little so it wasn't centered on the hub when I tightened it up. Now that I rotated athen and made sure they were seated correctly without the weight of the truck on them it all went away. Such a relief. Thanks for everyone's suggestions