2004 broken front spring.

shmoozer

Reaction score
As the title states about a month ago I found a broken front spring on my truck. As a result I'm looking into giving the truck a little bit of an altitude change.
When I bought the truck it had a supposed 4" lift and a set of 35's on it. The front springs are a 3 leaf pack and the hangers look to be factory. The rear has the typical block. I'm looking to go back to either factory height all around or factory front and no block in the rear as well as an overload spring with a 33ish tire.
My question for you all is what spring should I go with on the front. Everywhere I've looked I see mostly 2 leaf packs and various weight ratings to go along with them. Any insight as to what I could or should go with would be great. Here is a picture of the truck as it sits right now.

c659d5ec7fc6a496853ea0e6026f8571.jpg

40b447f1f1c463e94febc453cd7f94da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Generally, three leaf packs are for snowplow prep packages, or some other sort of heayduty type package.

shmoozer

Reaction score
That would explain partly why it's a rougher ride than my buddies '99. Aside from the fact that his is a CCSB. So, do you think that a standard 2 leaf pack and no block in the rear would look alright?

psduser1

Reaction score
I couldn't answer that, lol. None of mine are stock.
I'd guess that two leaves in the front, and a 2 1/2"? block is stock, so it probably will be tight in the front for 33s. I had to use 2" drop shackles and u code springs to clear 33s on my excursion.
Spring weight capacity and rate are not directly related to the amount of arch when using oem replacement springs. I'd say a two inch lift to clear 33s, depending on with, backspacing, etc.
The back would be fine.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Icon springs... Buddy of mine has an 04 bought it with a who the hell knows what company 6in kit. Finally swapped springs out for icons, and it rides very nice now. Id say a lot better than my truck with stock springs and an add a leaf

shmoozer

Reaction score
What size tire came on our trucks from the factory? I thought they were somewhere around 34ish inches? I guess I have a little more reading to do. I'm trying to get back to as close to or a little lower than factory height as I can. A buddy of mine mentioned swapping in a set of excursion front leaves to get the drop that I'm after. Any thoughts on that?
As for icon springs, if I were to remain at this height I would go that route in a heart beat.

shmoozer

Reaction score
That's good to know. Now to figure out which springs to order and from where

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Heh, my bad, i missed where you wanted to go lower. :doh: Not sure if icon makes a stock height spring, may check them though. Or possibly a spring shop. Maybe go like a 4 leaf setup of lighter springs, and not arched as much? Thatd give you better ride.

shmoozer

Reaction score
That's a good idea. Alcan spring is in Grand Junction which is only 4hrs from me. I bet they could do something for me. Thanks for the idea

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Stock springs were probably U or V codes. It will be on the sticker inside your drivers side door jamb. I would not replace with the U code as they can start sagging after just a couple of years. The V's were, generally speaking, the stock front spring on the F350 and the Excursion guys seem to love them. There is also W and X codes that are a little higher and stiffer, which in this case many will love the ride because it moves the spring farther from the bump stop, reducing the "bottoming out" hits.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I went with a rough country leveling kit and a 3 1/2 inch block from pmf and my truck had about an inch of rake. I 0ut my weatherguard box in and its dead level. I added a chest in the rear of the bed for daily use items and it is still level. But this sucker is not low. It is airing out the 35s i have on it.

Id go for the stock front springs of the lighter rating and do the 2" rear block if you want a leveled look that will fit 33s.

My truck rubs a tad but its on 12 wides. A 10 and my 35x12.50 would clear everywhere.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Wound up going ordering the lighter weight spring like just mentioned above.
Next dilemma is shocks. I've got fox 2.0's now and love them. Trying to decide whether I should order another set for stock height? Or do give the Bilstein 5100's a shot? What do you guys think?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Fox, i have only ridden in trucks with them, but i had bilsteins on my truck and hated them. Ive got icon shocks now, and its a hell of a lot better.

shmoozer

Reaction score
That's all I need to hear. Looks like I've got another order to place

Latest posts

Members online