Adding Adaptive Cruise Control

MorganY

Reaction score
Howdy gents. Hope all is well, it has been awhile since I've been on the army.

As you all know Ford has introduced a new feature known as adaptive cruise control feature that automatically keeps a preset distance between you and the car in front of you for the Super Duty lineup in 2017. In addition, the system comes with collision warning with automatic brake assist in the event of a collision. The system automatically recognizes a trailer is connected and will adjust the trailer brake accordingly.

Some people find this system pointless, but I actually find it convenient for long drives.

The purpose of this thread is to inform those who may be interested in adding the system to their Lariat Super Duty, equipped with the 8" technology instrument panel cluster.

I was able to successfully add it to an F150 for $550. It took several days and does take IDS to complete. The process entailed using as-built, and manual hexadecimal data modification on more than a handful of modules but it was successful.

I've done some research, and the Super Duty's appear to be very similar to the F150 configuration in regards to pre-existing wiring, etc. If someone is willing to guinea pig this, I'd be willing to assist.

47E5F02C-69BB-4F04-BF06-48F4DD3651B2_zpslsbfxeug.png

C1D2CABE-D992-40DA-A08C-C1F3A7F1F2F5_zpsj7uxkexe.png

2C453424-0E08-4BA1-9B27-003580D96152_zpsiwo3sbpo.png

31A49C82-B9F2-4E9C-8212-1039AD1E8060_zpsccng5be7.png

974E8E1A-9726-4CAC-8CD2-0FF055C182AA_zpsk0kwjt3a.png

657F4096-C60D-48D7-B3BE-535E26EDF8EB_zpsdszr4n0n.png

B06FAB93-C17D-406E-82F4-19AEC13DF3BF_zpsw3szafmx.png

093811A5-FA43-45D7-A7B0-6E58B04FF948_zpstkxvjvo1.png

A2239624-F992-4B50-A5AE-A804172720DF_zpsqz7joihw.png

Spatel23

Reaction score
I'm glad you started this thread.
Mine has been being a pain in the arse since I messed with it to remove my front bumper for the tow hook swap.
Does the sensor need to be perfectly flat ?
I did accidentally put a very small scratch on it and I'm wondering if the scratch is causing my issues or that it's not set on the bracket properly.
Cruise is working but I keep getting this annoying message.
I'll have to dig into it more when I get back home
4ba357429f8e52418445127776215ef3.jpg

The message just keeps dinging, even after hitting ok and turning off the appropriate settings in the cluster.

MorganY

Reaction score
I'm glad you started this thread.
Mine has been being a pain in the arse since I messed with it to remove my front bumper for the tow hook swap.
Does the sensor need to be perfectly flat ?
I did accidentally put a very small scratch on it and I'm wondering if the scratch is causing my issues or that it's not set on the bracket properly.
Cruise is working but I keep getting this annoying message.
I'll have to dig into it more when I get back home
4ba357429f8e52418445127776215ef3.jpg

The message just keeps dinging, even after hitting ok and turning off the appropriate settings in the cluster.

Most likely it needs to be re-calibrated. The sensor has a physical vertical axis alignment and a software-based horizontal alignment through IDS.

The scratch on the front plastic shouldn't matter unless you dropped it. It's a cover for the radar components/antennae. Delphi is the sensor manufacture - I believe I remember reading if it does drop, replacement would be required.

The physical vertical axis alignment must be performed on a flat slab. If you service the sensor it will need to be re-calibrated. Have you had someone attempt to re-calibrate the unit?

Spatel23

Reaction score
Awesome
That helps a lot.
I'll take it in and see if a recalibration helps.
The scratch is actually on the sensor itself.
I had to take the cover off then the sensor so I could get to the bumper bolts behind it.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Morgan very cool. Do you know of a 17 with the standard headlights can easily switch to the quad beams?

sootie

Reaction score
Morgan very cool. Do you know of a 17 with the standard headlights can easily switch to the quad beams?

it requires a different wiring harness but is doable. There are two threads on the topic on here somewhere.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

They sell conversion harnesses for the 17, I believe it's raptor retrofits that has them.

Also if Morgan posts up the as-built hex changes you will most likely be able to change with Forscan if you don't have access to IDS.

Last edited:

johnpsz

Reaction score
subscribing, didn't order mine with ACC, but may be interested in adding it later, if the price is reasonable...

PlatinumScorpion

Reaction score
In on this for general knowledge of the system.

I have a 2017 Platinum with it and it keeps cutting out "Adaptive Cruise Not Available", air bag light comes on, sometimes it also says "blind spot fault" then my dash (info,speed,rpm, all lights on dash) goes black and resets after ~2 minutes.

Then it will work again but cut out after ~30 minutes of using it.

Never interferes with the truck actually driving with the exception of the cruise cuts off of course.

Truck is lifted 6" FTS, 22s, 37s but otherwise is stock.

Ideas?

PlatinumScorpion

Reaction score
I should add when I turn adaptive cruise off and use the normal mode it still cuts out and wont work but the dash does not go black and the airbag light does not come on.

RSK

Reaction score
I wonder why ford hasn't done this in all superduty trucks 15 and up? It's not new technology, my buddies 7 year old e550 mercedes has it. It is a great feature, the collision avoidance system is really great too!

12stroker

Reaction score
In on this for general knowledge of the system.

I have a 2017 Platinum with it and it keeps cutting out "Adaptive Cruise Not Available", air bag light comes on, sometimes it also says "blind spot fault" then my dash (info,speed,rpm, all lights on dash) goes black and resets after ~2 minutes.

Then it will work again but cut out after ~30 minutes of using it.

Never interferes with the truck actually driving with the exception of the cruise cuts off of course.

Truck is lifted 6" FTS, 22s, 37s but otherwise is stock.

Ideas?

Since your truck is lifted more then likely the sensor needs to be recalibrated is what someone posted on fb a while back after his got lifted.

PlatinumScorpion

Reaction score
I hope it is something that simple. I asked the place I got it (they lift a bunch of them) and they said they have seen the black screen before on others as well but aren't sure what's causing it. They are going to reach out to Ford Monday.

Any idea how to recalibrate?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.