66mm or s366

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
I currently have a Barder 66mm, with 160/80, anyone with any experience with both barder's 66mm and an s366? would like to know if an s366 would be a huge difference with the 160/80's compared to the d66 style with them?

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I don't have first hand experience but I'd say the 366 be better all the way around. Pull harder run cooler and prolly spool better

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I would call Barder and ask him what the differences are between his 66mm and the s366sxe. Is the 66 you have currently a t4 mount? If it is, with those injectors I would be more inclined to say a 364.5 would probably suit your needs a little better.

I have 238/100s and they pair very well with the s366sxe (and 1.0 exhaust housing) for me, and I am a 6 speed truck. But most people seem to be running the 364.5 with 200cc and down injectors. And are also thrilled about the performance.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
If its the old style 366s, people used to complain they were kinda laggy. The new style sxe series come alive pretty nicely. Either way I think the 364.5 matches your fuel better.

Do you have any complaints or issues with what you're running now? What are you looking to improve?

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
No issues with what I have now was just wondering how much, if any at all, a 366sxe would make to the truck, it's fine now but was wondering if anyone had any experience with knowing if a 366 would be a better match for the 160/80 compared to a d66

mikeeg02

Reaction score
As I said above, a lot of people really like how the 364.5sxe pairs with 200cc and smaller injectors. (Generally 80% nozzles and down)

I don't know the wheel sizes on what your running now (though Id assume its a 66mm inducer on the compressor lol) but it is likely a 364.5 would out flow it. It outflows the GTP38R. Barder is a pretty intelligent guy to talk with. May be worth a phone call to him to see if he thinks its worth the coin to go the t4 route. I would not focus too much on the 366sxe unless you're looking into larger injectors for the future. Even then, the super core sxe's are only ~600.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
I had a Billet D66 with 160/100's and now run a BASB with 250/100's. With bigger injectors now I have way better spool up, it lugs really well. EGT'S are way lower, Huge power when you want it and Tow anything without issues. No Comparison!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If the 66mm you have now is like all the D66 style turbos on the market, there is a huge difference between it and the SXE line of turbos. The SXE will work much much better, in pretty much every scenario. Spools a heck of a lot faster and moves more air.

The biggest issue with the D66 is lag. The SXE line of turbos do not have this issue.

I agree, a 364.5SXE would be a great match for you. We sell it if you are interested...

https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...pgrades-39/turbochargers-1/bws300sxe64-5.html

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
Mike, Justin and mtsnowrunner, thank you all for your input and help, why do you say the 364.5 would be a better pair with the 160/80? The 366 wouldnt pair well?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I'm just afraid you may be a little under it. And in theory it should be a little more laggy than the 364.5. I've done extensive testing with my setup, and done videos. And my setup works as good as anyone could wish for in my opinion. So I just think you'd want the proper fit for yours as well. And everyone with 200cc and smaller injectors only raves about how well theirs works with the 364.5.

There's a long winded t4 thread started by "the brad" that's worth reading. My videos are in there too.
Just my .02.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
I have 250cc injectors and still like the 364.5 which is the same as the BASB. I might be over fueling 5% of the time but oh well I don't have to worry about not having enough fuel. The quick spool for a tow rig and DD is what you want. My truck will outrun ******d 6.4's and 6.7's and tow anything. Can't ask for more than that.

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
my only issue i run into with going t4 is my intercooler setup, i have the ats intercooler kit that went out of production around 15 years ago, the IC pipes are 2" in diameter, utilizing my stock 2" intake plenums, the IC piping with a t4 kit is 3" in diameter, my issue/question is do i NEED 3" plenums and 3" IC piping when going t4 or could i still use my 2" plenums and 2" piping and just adapt/weld the hot pipe where it clamps to the turbo to 3" so it fits the turbo and i dont need to buy a whole new IC setup?

rusty1161

Reaction score
my only issue i run into with going t4 is my intercooler setup, i have the ats intercooler kit that went out of production around 15 years ago, the IC pipes are 2" in diameter, utilizing my stock 2" intake plenums, the IC piping with a t4 kit is 3" in diameter, my issue/question is do i NEED 3" plenums and 3" IC piping when going t4 or could i still use my 2" plenums and 2" piping and just adapt/weld the hot pipe where it clamps to the turbo to 3" so it fits the turbo and i dont need to buy a whole new IC setup?

If you're not in a rush, Irate has their annual sale at Thanksgiving time. In the mean time, source a 7.3 SD intercooler, and pull your whole ATS intercooler kit and sell it to offset the T4 swap, and run non-IC until you have all of the parts.

Rusty

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
do i absolutely NEED 3" plenums though? does it make any difference/improvements at all? or is it just for ease of installation? because if its just for ease of installation then i wont bother with them it would be much easier for me to just buy a 2" to 3" boot and use my piping, plenums and IC i already have and just swap the hot side pipe with the one provided in the t4 kit

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I've not seen the 2" plenums personally. But everything is pretty tight with the 3" setup. The intake y basically sits right on top of the plenums. I'm not sure if there would be room for adapter boots or not.

rusty1161

Reaction score
do i absolutely NEED 3" plenums though? does it make any difference/improvements at all? or is it just for ease of installation? because if its just for ease of installation then i wont bother with them it would be much easier for me to just buy a 2" to 3" boot and use my piping, plenums and IC i already have and just swap the hot side pipe with the one provided in the t4 kit

The routing of the ATS kit is a lot different than the Irate/SD setup. Getting that hot side to hook up will be interesting.

3" plenums do improve flow in my experience. I don't imagine Ford or International going to 3" plenums unless they did make a measurable improvement. Especially if you're thinking of a 364.5SXE, take advantage of all that air with 3" plenums.

I will say that I started with a 66mm drop in turbo, intercooled it and wasn't satisfied with the performance. I've ended up with a T4/363SXE setup that I am very happy with. It is never cheaper or easier to do anything twice, especially a T4 install! If it was my money to spend again, I would have gone straight to a full T4/SXE or BASB setup to begin with and would be money and time ahead. Just my $.02.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online