Clunking drive train

CATDiezel

Reaction score
So I'm curious other people's thoughts/opinions.

Both my previous 11' and 15' have a considerable amount of "roll" when one engages the park gear.

Now that I have quieted down my truck back to stock dB level I now notice thing I have never really noticed. Truck is deIeted and running spart-an/patriot tunes. With those tunes the engine decelerates quickly when you let off the throttle which is much faster than stock. I personally don't care for it. But it clunks the drive train.

Truck was basically deIeted since brand new and has always had a straight exhaust with Toyo A/T's which was all I could hear. In the last week-ish I put my factory tires back on and a muffler+resonator. Now I can hear and undoubtedly feel the clunk that I simply didn't notice before. It's 100% drivetrain, nothing else.

I put the truck in neutral with e/brake engaged- engine off...and I can Rock the driveshaft a decent amount (not terrible). I can make it clunk pretty good doing that. U-joints are tight and it's a single driveshaft. Clunk seems to be coming from the transfer case and or transmission.

Anybody else see or exhibit this? Normal? Paranoid?

Truck:
2015 F250 4x4 platinum
Short bed crew cab
19,000~ miles
DeIeted since new and mostly pampered
Tow heavy from time to time but push max legal limit.

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
Depending how much rotational play you are seeing, that would typically be the rear end.
I don't have the measurements, but there is allowable play.

Of course I have no idea on the newer trucks, but the obs trucks, some clunk in the tcase seems to be normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try lubing the slip yoke where it goes in the trans. Not as typical as on a two piece, but it does happen.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

What grease do you recommend on the slip yoke going into the T-Case? Isn't it swimming in oil or oil splash anyways?

Also.... since we're on the subject of T-Case.... What oil is recommended. XL-12? Owners manual is in the truck and I'm in bed! Lol

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The blue ptfe grease ford sells. I believe it is the xl12 in the tcase.

Thanks for the advice, I did some research quickly on what you suggested by greasing the slip joint at T-Case....

Seems the ptfe has helped a few superduty owners but more so f150 owners.

The SD owners have just lived with it, it seems...

I'll give it a try and report back....

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, real common on f150s. Does happen on the super duties, not as much, but it does. Occasionally happens on single pieces like yours as well. Cheap and easy to at least try.

ckrueg

Reaction score
It happened on my truck the day I tuned it with the patriot quick response tunes. That was at 7500 miles or so. 16 f250 ccsb

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It happened on my truck the day I tuned it with the patriot quick response tunes. That was at 7500 miles or so. 16 f250 ccsb

Ok... good to know, I'm running raised shift war hammer.

I know most of this is due to running extremely
quiet exhaust/tires now...

ckrueg

Reaction score
Yeah, those files with the pedal damping removed take some getting used to, but I prefer them. I hate when I'm trying to pull out quickly and the truck waits a second before going anything. Have you tried the v2.1 beta tunes with exhaust brake?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
mine has done it since new.. has just over 95k on the clock.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

redneck1

Reaction score
Where you think warhammer name came from, lol. I switched to standard sotf, a lot of that bang is softened. Warhammer isn't real smooth off the cruise, engine seems to be under some unseen load. Always bangs with warhammer tunes.

KCCO

Last edited:

tom.boswell.79

Reaction score
My 2016 doesn't have much roll when I put it in park. However, when I turn it off it seems to have more roll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I've got alot more freed up time on my hands these days.

Things that I simply didn't give any attention to I now have time to scratch my head!

Warhammer is narly.

Anyone care to share 2.1 exhaust brake file with me?

ckrueg

Reaction score
I've got alot more freed up time on my hands these days.

Things that I simply didn't give any attention to I now have time to scratch my head!

Warhammer is narly.

Anyone care to share 2.1 exhaust brake file with me?
If you give me your email I can send them over. The 2.1 files also didn't have the pedal damping turned off so if you don't like that they will be even better for you.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
If you give me your email I can send them over. The 2.1 files also didn't have the pedal damping turned off so if you don't like that they will be even better for you.

Sent you a PM....

How is 2.1 doing? I've read of a few minor issues that seem to have been isolated to several trucks.....

For giggles I dropped the single drive shafts yesterday to inspect the slip yoke. It was spotless and clean with a very light oil sheen on the splines. Went ahead and put a thin layer of ptfe grease on it I found at auto zone.

Last edited:

ckrueg

Reaction score
When I loaded up the v2.1 I had a strange intermittent ebp surge of about 7 psi, however that went away once I unplugged the 3 egr sensors. The exhaust brake worked great and the shifting has a bit more tame than the qr files I had before. Pretty much shifted like stock, except locked the converter at 25ish in 3rd.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
When I loaded up the v2.1 I had a strange intermittent ebp surge of about 7 psi, however that went away once I unplugged the 3 egr sensors. The exhaust brake worked great and the shifting has a bit more tame than the qr files I had before. Pretty much shifted like stock, except locked the converter at 25ish in 3rd.

Which 3 sensors again? I cannot recall....

ckrueg

Reaction score
There's pictures somewhere on the patriot page. One is an orange connector below the throttle body, one is orange on top of the cooler itself. The third is also on top of the cooler but it's a black connector.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online