2012 with 2015+ turbo swap - having issues

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I have a 2012 F350 thats gone on a diet, has a Midwest SM 65.5 turbo and its being a total pain in the butt to tune. I have two platforms, H&S and SCT. The issue seems to be that the turbo is very very choked up until about 1700-1900 rpm, depending on who has tuned it. Morgan has sent me a ton of tunes trying different things and we can't get the SCT platform ironed out. The H&S runs good, but very lazy coming off idle and he said he's basically out of adjustment on getting it to work better. GH has been really hit or miss on trying to get the unchoke point out and hasn't got one to fully work right yet. Cale's seem to be worst with it choked up but absolutely rips once its unchokes. His will also bark the turbo going down the road with the cruise set. A lot of the tunes will bark the turbo hard when it shifts or when I left off. I have tried the stock intake numerous times and the only time it runs better with the stock intake is in the winter. The MAF sensor must not like the extra, added cold air coming across it.

So the issue that basically all of them are doing is that I can take off and the turbo sounds very very unhappy (NL stage 2 intake so its very audible) and as I accelerate, the drive pressure is 40-60# and boost is about 10-20#, truck has a quivery vibration to it and EGT's are well north of 1000*. As soon as it hits that magic point of 1700-1900 rpms, the drive pressure falls to almost nothing, boost stays about the same, EGT drops like a rock and the truck smooths out and all noise is gone. Now it shifts into 2nd gear and we start this whole process over. Once up to cruising speed @ 71 mph + and everything is happy, the truck settles down to about 4-6# boost and usually 600-700* egt. I don't want to name them but I have bought tunes from a couple others that said that could be tuned out and after a couple tries, they ignore all messages, call, texts, etc, so obviously they are lost with what to do. Also, everyones trans files short shift really really bad. The trans will want to be in 6th gear by 40 mph usually if just doing normal, small town driving. If WOT, the shifts are where they are supposed to be. Morgan also got one dialed in but said its WAY off from where it should be to shift there.

So my question is, what can cause this? I get no error codes, I've swapped out MAF and MAP sensor with a couple different work trucks we have with no change. EBP sensor is working. But somehow there has to be a sensor that is telling the trans and the VGT or whatever to do odd things when they aren't supposed to. I have access to a couple 6.7 trucks here at work that I can swap parts around to test with, so I'm open to about anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
hmm thats interesting. Mine does that choking bit too but it is very minimal...so minimal that i havent even done a tune revision. I know it says you have tried with the stock intake but have you tried it with tunes for the stock intake?

I also get heavy engine braking when off the throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
What is your tire/wheel combo... rest of drive train and gear ratio?

ckrueg

Reaction score
Can you monitor vgt duty cycle while it's doing this? Might give you more of an idea what the turbo is doing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kxc

Reaction score
Forscan can bring up vgt duty cycle no problem if you want to look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st last59

Reaction score
Dang. That's got me iffy about wanting to swap my 12 to one of these turbos. I know my 12 turbo is junk but it works. And my truck weight 10,500 pounds all the time and I haul my 5th wheel quite often and my gooseneck.

sootie

Reaction score
Don't be scared of it. Some trucks are pickier than others. Mine at least runs damn good and is a lot of fun

Reaction score
Try a smaller after market intake. One with a 4" pipe. I had a 5"No Limit and it stalled on take offs then it ripped. I had asked my tuner to tune it out and he said the only way was to advance the timing and he thought it was to dangerous. Not sure if it's true but I ended up getting a 4" aluminum intake pipe and it worked fine again. I've heard this from several others too.

sootie

Reaction score
Try a smaller after market intake. One with a 4" pipe. I had a 5"No Limit and it stalled on take offs then it ripped. I had asked my tuner to tune it out and he said the only way was to advance the timing and he thought it was to dangerous. Not sure if it's true but I ended up getting a 4" aluminum intake pipe and it worked fine again. I've heard this from several others too.

Whoa. Who was your tuner?

maxxedout

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue with my truck, and it all came down to the tuning. I'm not sure why, but something with the NL Stage 2 didn't agree with my truck, and standard files for my setup didn't help. I was going to send the whole truck to Morgan at Midwest, and let him mess with it, but he was able to come up with a fix. I'm not sure what he changed in the engine file, but it was a night and day difference.

04cr450

Reaction score
to the op.... after reading this carefully, i have this exact same problem(boost and ebp are the same as you mentioned) but mine is a 16.... i was told this is normal....... numerous times too.... i am going to try the oem intake tomorrow morning to compare.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Forscan can bring up vgt duty cycle no problem if you want to look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to find my videos. I think I ******d all of them when I was logging it with forscan before. I never was able to get forscan to save a file and then replay it. So i had to video it with my phone and use it that way.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Don't be scared of it. Some trucks are pickier than others. Mine at least runs damn good and is a lot of fun

Same here. With stock fuel and especially with dual fuelers. Things an absolute blast...

I really hope I feel that way at some point. I live with way more frustration with this truck than happiness.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
to the op.... after reading this carefully, i have this exact same problem(boost and ebp are the same as you mentioned) but mine is a 16.... i was told this is normal....... numerous times too.... i am going to try the oem intake tomorrow morning to compare.

How did it go? I've been told by numerous tuners too that the NL stage 2 intake won't be as responsive and cause issues on some truck but then other tuners say no way, they can tune that right out of it. I need to get an aftermarket cai for this thing, just have no idea what the best stock tube sized ones are.

04cr450

Reaction score
Flawless. The truck runs night and day difference. No lag and very responsive now. Can't believe just a simple swap of the air intake can make such a huge difference.
But my tunes are setup for the s2 intake, my truck evidently doesn't like the intake. Probably going to have to switch it up for the s1 intake. Waiting to hear back to see if NL still has them...
I just hope I didn't shorten the life of the turbo by driving around on it this way for some time now.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I have a dumb thought/question. I had to put a different pigtail connector on my harness that plugs into the actuator on the turbo cuz it was brittle and broke. I thought I got it connected back up correctly but is that by chance polarity specific?

ckrueg

Reaction score
I have a dumb thought/question. I had to put a different pigtail connector on my harness that plugs into the actuator on the turbo cuz it was brittle and broke. I thought I got it connected back up correctly but is that by chance polarity specific?

i would think so, one is probably ground and the other is power

Latest posts

Members online