Raising front or lowering rear 1", help!

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I am wrapping up the small changes that I wanted to do to my truck and realized that I messed up. I put a pair of Icon 2.5" coils in the front and a set of 5" Deavers in the rear. This leaves my truck with a 1.25" rake rear to front. I am adding a Ranch Hand full replacement bumper next week that I am sure will make the front sag even more.

How can I raise the front 1" or lower the rear 1"?

Will an Icon TEI 1" spacer work? I already have (2) 1/4# PMF spacers on the drivers side to fix the factory driver side lean.

Will a small drop shackle be easier?

Hope I can get this how I want it and start planning compounds :rockon:

Forgot to add, no block in rear. Just leafs.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
that ranch hand could be another 1/2" or more. i would get that bumper on first ebfore i decided on final ride height.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
That's what I figured, 1/2" with bumper.

Ill wait for sure, but wanted options too. The way I look at it, I would be happy with the current rake, if the bumper was already on. That's why I figured 1" would be ideal.

Really don't want to move up to 4.5" coils.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
That's what I figured, 1/2" with bumper.

Ill wait for sure, but wanted options too. The way I look at it, I would be happy with the current rake, if the bumper was already on. That's why I figured 1" would be ideal.

Really don't want to move up to 4.5" coils.

i ran the 4.5" up front and the 5" on the rear and it was level on my 08 .

JRLott

Reaction score
I'd be leaning toward beta and sterling's suggestion. I had an 800 pound motor in the bed and thought it looked nose high...it was actually very close to perfectly level, IIRC. 4.5" springs would necessitate the bumper dropping the front 3/4" to be level. Depending on the look you want, the OUO would let you dial in what you want while maintaining your ride. Definitely put the bumper on first to see what it does. I went with the Frontier, because it's lighter. Roughly the same as Rach Hand's lightweight version. I never measured before and after, so I can't help you with what it did to the ride height with factory springs.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I started to go to the shop that I've been using lately for suspension work and saw that my old favorite shop was up and running. Stopped in and they are past their non-compete timeline and ready to go. The owner is a friend and knew exactly what I needed and is getting me setup right.

Ill post pics once the bumper is on and truck is level.

JRLott

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I started to go to the shop that I've been using lately for suspension work and saw that my old favorite shop was up and running. Stopped in and they are past their non-compete timeline and ready to go. The owner is a friend and knew exactly what I needed and is getting me setup right.

Ill post pics once the bumper is on and truck is level.

So what was the verdict?

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
He's going to order me a 1" and a 1.5" bottom mount spacer. He's putting my bumper on for me and then will put whatever spacer on the truck that is necessary. Assuming that the truck will settle 1/4" or so after a few days with bumper on.

We're both strongly assuming 1.5" spacer. Worst case scenario, add shims to rear to get it level at that point.

F

Floorboard79

How many leaves make up the rear packs? Thinking of taking a leaf out

All those spacers etc up front are you doing the correct drip brackets etc?

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
5 leafs, if I remember correctly.

First go around was an Icon kit, so all necessary hardware. Will make sure that the trackbar is adjusted correctly and have castor shims ready to go.

F

Floorboard79

Do they have an overload and setup like factory or are they the progressive style without overloads?

How is the axle wrap with them?

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Progressive without overloads.
Axle wrap is next to gone. I have decided to not do traction bars until I bump power a good bit.

F

Floorboard79

if axle wrap is less than stock, i would say remove a bottom leaf and see what it does!
Likely reduce the load capacity but improve ride by s small amount. Depends if you want to go higher or lower overall

Of course some of us are more apt to play with stuff like this than others, i have tons of experience tweaking all sort us suspension setups.

Latest posts

Members online