fuel pumps OEM,Carter,Airtex,etc.

Decker

Reaction score
So I'm having issues with my fuel pump again still not holding pressure. I replaced my old pump with a racor pump. I must say this thing is garbage and less then year old. Only puts up 58 psi with blue spring and drops down to 50 and below on anything more then 20% throttle. At first start it and cold it holds 60-58 but once warm it plumits. So I plan on building a fuel system this sumer just don't have time now. Gonna run a sump feeding 6.4 to 6.0 possibly regulated return. But for now I need to replace the crap I have on now. I was looking at pumps and I found few that had decent review but they few years old. I found the carter pump with housing for like 185$ and everyone says it just as good as OEM. I found airtex at like 120$ but that's just pump. And then their oem from dealership for like 300+$.

Has anyone tried the airtex or carter pumps or am I best to go append the extra money and get one from dealership?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Does alliant make one? That would probably be my choice besides motorcraft.

Or upgrade to the 6.7 pump it's about 250 for an oem unit and they can support 600hp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Decker

Reaction score
Everyone talks about switching to a 6.7 pump when I ask about fuel problems. Doesn't seem to be that hard to set up. Only have few questions about it.
For 6.7 pump can you bypass the return side just use a 5/16 to 5/16 double male connector or would I need to upgrade to 1/2 return?
Also is it nessasary to run a fuel water set up with 6.7 pump?
Lastly since I be feeding the stock fuel bowl (for now) with 1/2 line what size are the threads for feed line?

So from what I've read in swinky thread be sump to 6.7 pump to bowl. The stock lines all way back no need to connect to pump on return? So plug return ports?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I've never tried bypassing the return circuit so I can't say for sure, I think the safer bet would be to adapt the return side to match up with the pump fittings.

The pump is a separator just like the stock one so you would need to keep the stock fuel bowl filter or you could use a 6.7 fuel filter slightly downstream that way you don't have to throw it away when you change the fuel water separator.

Decker

Reaction score
Anyone know the threads to the fuel bowl inlet and outlet holes. i did little searching but found few different answers. Its on a 2006. M14x1.5 and m16x1.5?
Who has wired a 6.7 pump on 6.0 with the fuel pump relay kit?
How is it wired?

slc dzl

Reaction score
Anyone know the threads to the fuel bowl inlet and outlet holes. i did little searching but found few different answers. Its on a 2006. M14x1.5 and m16x1.5?
Who has wired a 6.7 pump on 6.0 with the fuel pump relay kit?
How is it wired?

Give Dennis @ strictly a shout I bet he has a solution for you.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Dennis makes a really nice regulated return but I don't think he likes to split his kits up

jrex2506

Reaction score
ok I hooked my 6.7 pump to mine with 190/75 and I am at 70 psi all day long even on full race tune.

- first step is to order the pump, I got mine off amazon for 230. next go to ford and get the metal bracket for the pump like 35. after that I ordered a fuel pump relay 40 amp from summit like $40. get yourself about 50 ft of 1/2" fuel line. I think I got 50 ft. for a few extra pieces to have. next you have to run a sump for the fuel supply. my line runs from the sump to the pump mounted on the inside of the frame. next I run straight to the fuel bowl, and then back with the return to the pump. then pump to the return port on top of the fuel tank.
-I mounted my relay under the hood, for the power, ground, then run my two wires down and spiced into the wires for the 6.0 pump. that way when the key is on, it sends power to the stock pump but kicks the relay on for the 6.7 pump. I have just metal connectors to hook up to the 6.7 pump but you can buy the actual 6.7 wire connector to make it look cleaner. I just used hose clamps on my lines but for more money you can buy the pushloc connectors. I have 2 pushloc 90s for the fuel bowl, that fits 1/2" fuel line to the threaded part. the thread sizes are different on my fuel bowl, *** one is m16 and the return is m14. hope this helps if you need need pictures I can get them.

Last edited:

Decker

Reaction score
Jrex thank you. Could post pictures that would be great.
For the relay part going to switch power you just connected directly to 6.0 hfcm plug wires?

Decker

Reaction score
Anyone have a diagram of how the wiring is done for 6.7 pump.
I get the power from battery to circuit breaker to relay. But from thier im confused? So from relay there is ground, switch power and constant power?
Run ground to same ground as my guages or to battery ground.
Switch power to the hfcm plug? Then constant power to 6.7 pump and then ground pump from plug?

Also which prong in plug is which?

Decker

Reaction score
So far my part list is
Beans sump
6.7 pump
40ft of 1/2 push loc hose
M16x1.5 to 8an adapter for fuel bowl
M14x1.5 to 8an adapter for fuel bowl
8an to 1/2 90° push loc x2
1/2 to 3/8 double barb
1 ft 3/8 push loc hose
40 amp relay pump kit

So far got about 340$ in parts

Am I missing anything

Decker

Reaction score
BTW did find this from another thread for the relay.

Just need a standard bosch style 5 pin relay and some female spade connectors to do it then just the factory plug to the pump.

On the relay you would take the factory power wire for the pump (on my 6.0 it was blue i believe) and connect it to pin 86. This is your signal wire to switch the relay. This will make the new pump turn on/off just like the factory pump.

You will need to ground pin 85. Connect this to a good ground.

You will then need to supply battery power to pin 30, you should have a fuse or circuit breaker in between the battery and relay.

Then you will have power supply out connected to pin 87, this will be the power to go to the 6.7 pump.

That is how i would wire it atleast, ive had my fuelab pump wired like this for over a year.

relay_zps81bede8e.jpg

Decker

Reaction score
Finally about to be installing the 6.7 pump this weekend hopefully. Long as work doesn't get in the way but I was curious since when buying 6.7 fuel filter you get two the upper and secondary. Do I need to run the 6.0 secondary fuel filter in the bowl? Would it hurt anything to not have it in? I don't mind buying the 6.0 filters if need be but its wasted money IMO to just be buying and use one filter.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Finally about to be installing the 6.7 pump this weekend hopefully. Long as work doesn't get in the way but I was curious since when buying 6.7 fuel filter you get two the upper and secondary. Do I need to run the 6.0 secondary fuel filter in the bowl? Would it hurt anything to not have it in? I don't mind buying the 6.0 filters if need be but its wasted money IMO to just be buying and use one filter.

You can get a separate primary filter from AFe.

Be sure to post up some pics and the complete parts list when finished.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Yes you will have to either keep the 6.0 filter in the fuel bowl or you can ****** the fuel bowl and make your own filter setup

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I like using a 2 micron fleetguard, better flow, better filtration, and longer service intervals
74a95b46121891c89ad6459a01158256.jpg

Decker

Reaction score
You can get a separate primary filter from AFe.

Be sure to post up some pics and the complete parts list when finished.

I'll rake plenty of pictures as I do it and post as much as I can after I complete it.

But do plan on switching to a 2 micron filter in future with a fuel bowl ****** and RR just can't coin it right at this moment.

Decker

Reaction score
All mounted and looks good but I can't get this pump to prime! Am I missing anything I cant get it to build and fuel pressure