Smokes alot when cold

SDstroker

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am thinking its a injector o-ring that I didn't get seated right.
Installed injectors about 6 months ago and has always smoked a little on start up and would clear up when I drove it. Smoke has a blue tint to it so I assumed it was oil, but uses little to no oil and smells like rich fuel. The colder it gets the worse it smokes. When I started it up this morning it seemed loaded up and was producing a dense fog :doh: at 28*. I have been told these injectors smoke a little on start up but as much smoke as I saw this morning something has to be wrong.
Another issue maybe related or unrelated, my ICP seems to be running low. I have a isspro hpop gauge and it reads 800 psi at idle, 1100 driving steady at 45 and 1600 psi at 70. I can get it to 3000 psi then drops to 2200 psi. Could this cause a low boost and high egt numbers? I put in a rebuilt IPR when I installed my adrenaline. Also to note the truck idles ruff when warm almost like its missing.
If you can point to me any existing thread or give me any suggestions it would be appreciated. I am going to do some data logging of icp and dc tonight.
Thanks

SDstroker

Reaction score
The cap stays on besides motor vibrations. Looks like a hot coffee steam.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Does it clear up when it warms up? I have the pretty much the same setup and mine does the same thing. Mine smokes pretty good on cold start ups also, then clears up as it warms up. Nothing to worry about.

SDstroker

Reaction score
Alright just making sure. I am almost embarrassed to start it and let it warm up. Beru GP's are new a couple years ago along with a stancor relay, works top notch and starts at -30 without being plugged in. I just expected to be smokeless like the stock AD's were on startup.
It just seems like something is leaking by into the cylinders and making it sound and feel loaded up until I get some RPM's up to clear/burn out what ever is in there.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Nope, u are fine. i feel the same way when i start mine in the cold, but after a few minutes it clears up alot

bama29fan

Reaction score
Sorry if i've missed it...but what tune are you starting it up in? Mine will smoke like that when its cold and started with a tune (FullForce Stage1's). its much better if plugged in

Tom S

Reaction score
That would definately be a negative for those injectors with me. I am sure it would get worse with altitude.

SDstroker

Reaction score
#1 position and thats a heavy tow tune. Maybe Matt can chime in more on the specifics. FWIW the other day I started it in my hot tune and same results.
I have been to 8000' with the way it is now would be bad lol. My stockers I thought were bad at the altitude.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does it do the same thing if started in a high idle tune? Seems to me that I was reading about idle being hard to smooth out because with larger nozzles lots of fuel is dumped in even at low ICP and it doesnt atomize correctly, so wouldnt a high(er) idle help with this if it is caused by that issue? If you have a high idle I'd say try starting it in that. It might help.

SDstroker

Reaction score
I havent started it in high idle, I guess I didnt think it would be a good thing. I do know when I bump it to high idle after I start it up, smoke just comes out at a faster rate.
Low compression?

Reaction score
If it were low compression it wouldnt clear up entirely... I dont know how credable this is but i was told by a few older injection guys that this newer ultra low sulfur does that in these motors when its cold? anyone else ever heard this? FWIW my dads 97 does the very same thing

jwfrauts

Reaction score
When you figure it out let me know what it is. I have change the injectors 3 times and still smokes worse than that. It done it with stock injectors and 2 different sets of 190s. I have been trying to figure it out for months. I am working nights until next month sometime so I can't look at it until
then but it is about to drive me nuts. It will only run on a race tune when it is cold. Runs fine when warmed up. I have changed the stand pipes, oil rails, put 58v ficm in it, icp sensor, and several sets of injectors with no luck. I am going to pull the ecm off and have it reflashed now. Good luck.

Gearhead

Reaction score
It could be an icp sensor or maybe even a "dirty" set of 100% nozzles. That size seems to be not very consistant compared to the 80% and 200%

Latest posts

Members online