Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > Excursions

Old 05-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Default Is a 4" exhaust worth it?

A friend of mine has a new turbo back exhaust laying around that I can get for 200 bucks.
I've researched that it may not be worth the trouble.
Who has installed the 4" DP with out trouble?

As of now it's stock with what looks like a couple of big glass packs in place of muffler and CAT.

Mods :TS Chip, S&B, DieselSite BRV.

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Only worth it if it's new, otherwise just buy new buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'96 RCSB PIS 400/400's Single 80mm BTS Twin pump setup Dry Sump Oil System designed for HEUI by Gray's Diesel Performance. Zero balance rotating assembly 16v electrical system/electric water pump/Gray's Diesel engine mounted fuel system with Fass 220/Colt Cams stage 2/Gray's Diesel piston bowl work and ring mods/Swamps tuning
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgdiesel View Post
Only worth it if it's new, otherwise just buy new buddy

It is new.

I guess I didn't ask my question correctly.
I also meant is it worth it performance wise and is it going to kick my ass getting that DP around my firewall.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo380 View Post
It is new.

I guess I didn't ask my question correctly.
I also meant is it worth it performance wise and is it going to kick my ass getting that DP around my firewall.

Ok and if it is an excursion like the section we are in, Then no it won't be hardly all, it is very simple and no clearance issues whatsoever on excursions or superduty's with 4"DP, I like to remove the trans crossmember personally and put a spin jack under the trans, for ease of stock DP removal. But not necessary you could just saw saw the stock one out and slip the new 2 piece one easily just pay attention to clamp position

'96 RCSB PIS 400/400's Single 80mm BTS Twin pump setup Dry Sump Oil System designed for HEUI by Gray's Diesel Performance. Zero balance rotating assembly 16v electrical system/electric water pump/Gray's Diesel engine mounted fuel system with Fass 220/Colt Cams stage 2/Gray's Diesel piston bowl work and ring mods/Swamps tuning
Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Is a 4" exhaust worth it?

Quote:
Ok and if it is an excursion like the section we are in, Then no it won't be hardly all, it is very simple and no clearance issues whatsoever on excursions or superduty's with 4"DP, I like to remove the trans crossmember personally and put a spin jack under the trans, for ease of stock DP removal. But not necessary you could just saw saw the stock one out and slip the new 2 piece one easily just pay attention to clamp position

Hard at all*

Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:

Ok glad to hear it. Thanks so much.
And the performance gain? Is it worth my time?
I think our stock pipe is 3 or 3.5.

I am hoping some excursion guys chime in that's done it and let me know if the straight pipe is too loud as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Ok glad to hear it. Thanks so much.
And the performance gain? Is it worth my time?
I think our stock pipe is 3 or 3.5.

I am hoping some excursion guys chime in that's done it and let me know if the straight pipe is too loud as well.

One of my vehicles is an Excursion that is 4" straight pipe with a 6" tip I like it, but it is moderately loud from the outside, not too bad inside. most of my customers are fine with a straight pipe, I put mufflers on let's say 5 fords out of what seems like a thousand kits we've installed

Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

A 4" downpipe isn't some ungodly task on a super duty or Excursion. If this was an obs, then yes, you would have your work cut out for you. Cut the stock downpipe out with a sawzall, and you'll have it out in no time. It really doesn't take much time to remove the factory exhaust, iirc, you may have to cut the stock exhaust where it goes over the rear axle as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 PM
General
Member's Gallery

You won't feel ANY performance gains. You'll see a minimal EGT drop. And in an excursion, you'll just make it louder inside.

I honestly think the stock exhaust is just fine for a 7.3 that is just chipped.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Thank you Jomax that's what I thought as well and needed to hear it from a reputable source.

Thank you BG and Ghohouston as well. Sounds like I can handle the task but I won't be doing it unless I get real bored one day. Lol.
It will still happen but it might be when I upgrade the turbo. It's just not a priority.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I think quite a few have built a 7.3 and Dyno'd over 600hp exhaling thru a 3" down pipe.
97-250 7.3 Eaton TVS Supercharged, S369sxe, R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, Honey Badger SR with My tunes, BMW M3 seats, Sky 5" RSK skyjacker drop pivot brackets, Sky shackles and hangers, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC Detroit 453T
1951 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpsd View Post
I think quite a few have built a 7.3 and Dyno'd over 600hp exhaling thru a 3" down pipe.
I think diesel Dave did some testing.
I wanna say it was mid 500's all stock exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Depleted, studded, airdog (which isn't currently hooked up), fass regulated return, airaide, 4 inch straight pipe with mbrp muffler(so on to go), glowchit pyro, fuel, boost, and trans temp. (Of course don't work lol) Hercules terra track A/T2 315/70/17.
2013 Honda pilot Touring
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/778639.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/776628.png
Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Ok thanks for all the help. It's great to hear what everyone has.

So I need help for next mod.
Do I get the WW2 or upgrade the housing? I'm reading mixed reviews on the ATS.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Ok thanks for all the help. It's great to hear what everyone has.

So I need help for next mod.
Do I get the WW2 or upgrade the housing? I'm reading mixed reviews on the ATS.

I'd personally do ported housing, Dennis at strictly diesel sells a good one. Best part is you don't have to remove the turbo. I loved mine.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
You won't feel ANY performance gains. You'll see a minimal EGT drop. And in an excursion, you'll just make it louder inside.

I honestly think the stock exhaust is just fine for a 7.3 that is just chipped.

After getting an Edge Juice with Attitude installed on my Wife's 2000 Excursion 7.3L 4x4, I immediately discovered EGTs approaching 1300 Deg. F. when going up hills etc. So, I had a 4" SS Exhaust installed with a Low Resistance Muffler and (aside from the fact that it is now louder in the cab) the EGTs rarely reach 900 Deg. F. I believe that the factory exhaust added unnecessary obstruction to flow......resulting in higher EGTs. That's just my opinion based on casual observation. Just saying.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

This is a 4" turbo back I built for my Wife's Excursion. It uses a 6.4 resonator and a 24" body muffler. There is zero drone in the cab and it has a nice tone to it. Still loud when you get on it but almost quiet as stock going down the highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOe3...mwvszvte3yn0ca
Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Hallbert View Post
After getting an Edge Juice with Attitude installed on my Wife's 2000 Excursion 7.3L 4x4, I immediately discovered EGTs approaching 1300 Deg. F. when going up hills etc. So, I had a 4" SS Exhaust installed with a Low Resistance Muffler and (aside from the fact that it is now louder in the cab) the EGTs rarely reach 900 Deg. F. I believe that the factory exhaust added unnecessary obstruction to flow......resulting in higher EGTs. That's just my opinion based on casual observation. Just saying.

The chit tuning you are running doesnt help your truck any either....
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

I use my Chip Tuner basically as a monitor. Predominantly, it remains on Factory Street Level 1. I have used Level 2 when towing a fairly heavy 23 foot boat and trailer. I'm 70 y.o. and retired and I don't put the hammer down. The EGT and Turbo data has helped me troubleshoot a both exhaust and MAP Sensor problems.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Pipes are not the problem, it is the muffler. Swap that out with a free flowing one and
you are 80% there... I noticed a very large performance difference when getting that
stock muffler out.

As one other mentioned, the X will be louder inside without a muffler.. i.e. drone.
2k, F350 SuperCruzer, 7.3L Diesel, Auto trans, 4x4, GH Tunes w/160/30s, S&B cold air intake, 4-inch turbo-back exhaust, Garrett 38r, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Transmission w/6.0 cooler, Swamps IDM(broke, back to stock), AIC, in-tank and pre-pump mod, Heater valve mod, X-car sound panel mod
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
Pipes are not the problem, it is the muffler. Swap that out with a free flowing one and
you are 80% there... I noticed a very large performance difference when getting that
stock muffler out.

As one other mentioned, the X will be louder inside without a muffler.. i.e. drone.

That's one thing I didn't want on my parents X drone. I left the stock exhaust alone. Installed a DP tuner, one setting 80hp. No gauges. AIS intake and called it good. Unless you're towing all the time. I didn't care to do anything gauges wise.