Your thoughts on cold air filter

hondahater4ever

Reaction score
When I purchased my 2016 F350 PS, I found a good deal on a Airaid cold air intake. I read a couple forums saying cold air intake filters dont filter enough dirt out and using a cold air will kill you turbine wheel faster. I seem to find this is 50% people saying this and 50 % of people its false. I trust this forum more then any others I have read and want to know what you guys think, should I leave my stock airbox and stock filter or put this Airaid on? I am tuned and ******d.

andrewtac

Reaction score
When I purchased my 2016 F350 PS, I found a good deal on a Airaid cold air intake. I read a couple forums saying cold air intake filters dont filter enough dirt out and using a cold air will kill you turbine wheel faster. I seem to find this is 50% people saying this and 50 % of people its false. I trust this forum more then any others I have read and want to know what you guys think, should I leave my stock airbox and stock filter or put this Airaid on? I am tuned and ******d.

Wearing it our sounds like a good reason to upgrade. I doubt street driven you'll have issues with a quality one, unless you drive in extremely dusty conditions; and even the a stock box might have the same problems at some point.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Personally think they are pointless unless you are running more than just d-letes and basic mods. I ran one oiled air filter and it dusted a motor so that was enough for me.

hondahater4ever

Reaction score
Yeah dosent sound like I will benefit from it and I dont want to chance hurting a motor. Looks like to craigslist it goes. Thanks guys.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I don't buy cold air intakes. Finnegan did some common man investigation on the whole CAI thing and posted a vid to YouTube recently. I found it interesting and backed up my choice about the "cold" part of a cold air intake. Teaser: it really isn't all that cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7mw3ZZN0g

79jasper

Reaction score
Apple's to oranges.
The stock Duramax intakes have been proven to be pretty free flowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
A few years ago, there was some back to back testing done with 6 or 8 different intakes. It's been a while since I have seen it, but there was some good usable info there. Maybe someone still has a copy floating around then you can make up your own mind based on hard data.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
we build intakes that filter better , have longer service intervals , and preserve high pressure turbo's on 6.4's . cold air.. agreed, its of no difference on a forced induction motor on a vehicle that is in motion above 10mph, because they ALL get air from the same place . for these trucks it's about FLOW, intakes such as ours flow so much more, they increase spoolup and mileage , and SUPPORT higher boost . it's a win , win , win to buy the right intake first.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
For whatever ts worth, dieselmore on here did some testing, and mikes intake did almost 30 more hp at the wheels on the dyno. This was on a stock except for deretes truck... It was posted on here somewhere. One of their shop trucks. And i know they have been selling a chit tne of the intakes with deretes and each truck reacts the same, a solid 20-30 hp more over just the derete.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Brain food: Doesn't the secondary cooling system run to the CAC? Isn't that fluid temp somewhere in the 'hood of 113-140*F? SO wouldn't the air temp out of the CAC be between 113-140*F?

Yea....pretty sure it's not cold. Hence flow is our desire, not strictly cold(er) air.

Jomax

Reaction score
Brain food: Doesn't the secondary cooling system run to the CAC? Isn't that fluid temp somewhere in the 'hood of 113-140*F? SO wouldn't the air temp out of the CAC be between 113-140*F?

Yea....pretty sure it's not cold. Hence flow is our desire, not strictly cold(er) air.

Yup. Coolant temp is around 120. In the summer, the exit temp out of the CAC is usually right next to that number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
For whatever ts worth, dieselmore on here did some testing, and mikes intake did almost 30 more hp at the wheels on the dyno. This was on a stock except for deretes truck... It was posted on here somewhere. One of their shop trucks. And i know they have been selling a chit tne of the intakes with deretes and each truck reacts the same, a solid 20-30 hp more over just the derete.

GDP and ppei tested them yesterday on a 17. It netted 8-10hp if I remember correctly. But that was with some issues in tuning limiting power from my understanding.

The intake is nice.... I just couldn't stand having codes every 100 miles with Patriot tuning. On truck in sig. I want to run the NL filter.... but I have since installed the factory filter to eliminate the code issue nobody wants to resolve.

Jomax

Reaction score
GDP and ppei tested them yesterday on a 17. It netted 8-10hp if I remember correctly. But that was with some issues in tuning limiting power from my understanding.

The intake is nice.... I just couldn't stand having codes every 100 miles with Patriot tuning. On truck in sig. I want to run the NL filter.... but I have since installed the factory filter to eliminate the code issue nobody wants to resolve.

Selling the NL intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRed97

Reaction score

What code issue?

JRLott

Reaction score
Don't remember the number because I just clear it. It's aggravating, but GH and a few others tune it out. Apparently, spar doesn't. I just haven't upgraded tunes, or found it annoying enough to stick the stock box back on.

DieselDog

Reaction score
What I don't understand about CAI systems is that when monitoring IAT temperatures which is measured at the mass air flow sensor reads at hot idle at least 160 degrees if not hotter. How does this make it a cold air intake ? If you look at the filters that just have a intake tube with a air filter hooked to the end of it the filter sits right on or next to the radiator and exposed to all the under hood heat. I just don't see that being a cold air intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
I remeber 6.0 days this would cause turbo lag and if still emission equipped excessive EGR flow at idle causing slow throttle response. Most of the Ford diesel engines I have see dusted from failed systems was usually caused by installer error, customers not maintaining filters or Filters rubbing on engine components chafing holes in them. It doesn't take long for a damaged air filter to kill the rings on a fresh engine when living in the desert. I have had 4 6.7L engines come in with damaged turbo's and 1 with internal engine wear. Turbo ones just ended up with new turbo, clean tubes replace tube seals and charge air cooler replacement. Engine one well that's obvious ended up just installing a new short block and valve the cylinder heads.

sootie

Reaction score
What I don't understand about CAI systems is that when monitoring IAT temperatures which is measured at the mass air flow sensor reads at hot idle at least 160 degrees if not hotter. How does this make it a cold air intake ? If you look at the filters that just have a intake tube with a air filter hooked to the end of it the filter sits right on or next to the radiator and exposed to all the under hood heat. I just don't see that being a cold air intake.

Industry terminology i guess. In actual fact, it is a larger air volume intake. "Cold" doesnt really apply to any forced induction engine.

Latest posts

Members online