Head gaskets?

jtc96

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to post or not. I've had a white smoke and power loss problem for a few months now. Randomly happens but when the smoke starts the power goes to crap for a bout 20 seconds and returns to normal. 2 days ago I decided to add a high flow intake elbow to go along with my ******s and when I took it off i had some milky oil drip out of the boot. I have been missing some coolant about a inch or so in the reservoir. Oil was a little low maybe 1 or 2 quarts after a 5k oil change. Is it time for Head gasket replacement? Truck is a 2008 with 205k miles. ******d and tuned

sootie

Reaction score
eek thats not good. If you just did an egr deeleet i would top up the coolant and run it for a bit. Couldve been a cracked cooler.

jtc96

Reaction score
Coolers have been gone for 35k miles along with everything else. I just decided I wanted the high flow intake elbow for looks mainly

sootie

Reaction score
Coolers have been gone for 35k miles along with everything else. I just decided I wanted the high flow intake elbow for looks mainly

oh ok. The milky oil could be caused by the oil from the ccv mixing with the condensation in the intercooler which isnt avoidable unless you reroute the ccv to the atmosphere, the exhaust or a catch can. Still doesnt explain your coolant loss tho.

jtc96

Reaction score
Gotcha. The coolant loss is throwing me for a loop also. It's not down much at all but i can see where some has been puked out of the degas bottle but nowhere near the amount that's missing

sootie

Reaction score
Any signs of puking typically indicate head gasket time. .

kcpanages

Reaction score
Not always a bad head gasket..... the degas caps go bad quick..... my first go to thought, change degas cap..... as for the oily substance in intake pipe, that's from your CCV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Pull the water pump and check the front cover for cavitation.

Wouldn't be in the intake tube if that was the case nor would it pressurize the coolant as a result of that would it?

jtc96

Reaction score
I changed the coolant cap out a few months ago just for safety. It's not puking much but it is some. It's at the shop now to get checked out. Thanks for the responses!

Latest posts

Members online