No start and lots of white smoke

Gunndrix

Reaction score
Hi
I just bought an 01 f350 7.3 with turbo. 375000 miles
Only cost me 400 bucks......
it has been sitting for months without being started and with the fuel tank out
When I try to start it sounds like its firing on only one cylinder and wont start.
When I try to start it white smokes like crazy
No codes
When I cracked the lines to the fuel/water separator and diesel comes out.
It starts on starting fluid but a hard start, then runs for a 15 seconds then dies.
It has new batteries, the tank it back in, and it has a new filter in the fuel/water separator.
Any ideas?
Thank you

dsberman94

Reaction score
Does the smoke burn your eyes or smell sweet? Make sure your glow plugs are working. Test or replace them, don't just go off the dash light. If it's fuel smoke it sounds like low compression in which case making sure the glowplugs are working will help.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I don't even think it's a couple minutes. Mine shut off 10-15 second after it's running. Changing them will definitely help. You could also jump the relay to get them to stay on longer. Either jump the big posts together or supply the relay with whatever it needs to activate it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just because the relay is working doesn't mean it is working propper..

Please stop using ether.. make sure it has fuel pressure, propper hpo pressure, air flow, and battery voltage greater then 10.5v while cranking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
just because the relay is working doesn't mean it is working propper..

Please stop using ether.. make sure it has fuel pressure, propper hpo pressure, air flow, and battery voltage greater then 10.5v while cranking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Op, start here as suggested above before opening the vc's up... low/ no fuel pressure (possibly air in lines) will do exactly what you are dealing with as well as icp, glowplugs, voltage, etc. These motors are difficult to fully troubleshoot without some basic obd reader tools.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I got a compression gauge but, not sure I got all the parts needed. Harbor Freight might sell them

79jasper

Reaction score
HF does have them.
Basically you remove the glowplugs and insert the adapter. Make sure the batteries are fully charged, have a good charger on them/jump it while doing the compression test.
Maybe do one side, let it charge, then the other side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nsfr1206

Reaction score
On our 01 we had a no start issue. Ether would start it and it would run. The problem turned out to be a voltage issue. Cable going to starter was going bad and it would kick the glowplug relay out. Changed it and it's a great starter now. That's what I understand anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online