01 7.3 no start

97cherokee

Reaction score
hey guys drove my truck home one night an the next morning it fired off, skipped and died and that was all it wrote. no white smoke so obviously injectors arent firing. checked fuel psi- 70 psi (i have bigger springs in my bowl) wts and ses come on at key on and both go out, reads 180rpms while cranking, ipr shows 36% and if i remember while cranking it was building 2200psi. performed buzz test and got both bank shorted high. removed idm and verified power and ground to it. all checked good, disconected valve cover plugs and inspected. both ok. so i am leaning towards a bad idm, what are yalls thoughts? thanks!

97cherokee

Reaction score
yes showing around 180 on tach while cranking, also ohmed out injector wiring for idm harness and all checked good so im going to order a new idm

97cherokee

Reaction score
ok so new idm is on, truck runs. ran pretty good for a few minutes and then went to skipping on alteast a few cylinders. limped it back to the house, shut it off and made sure the uvchs were plugged up snug, started back up and it ran smooth for a minute or two and then it went right back to skipping.... atleast it runs now. any ideas what it could be? hut it off several times and restarted it with the same results.

97cherokee

Reaction score
ok so i got a scanner and got the codes pulled while the truck was acting up, have code p1316. shut the truck off, performed a buzz test and all checked ok. removed the inner fender and shook wiring all the way from idm up to both valve cover connectors and it did not go back to running rough... ive noticed that when it does this if you shut the truck off and start it back up it will run smooth for a few seconds to several minutes.... is it possible i have abad idm out of the box? ive already ohmed out the wiring and it all checked good originally and i dont see any spots where it ahs rubbed. thanks!

97cherokee

Reaction score
i have looked at the wiring for chaffing and did not see any, also wiggle tested the wiring with the engine running smooth and no change. i have not pulled the valve covers but i can go do that. i do know that the harness ohmed out good from idm to injectors.

97cherokee

Reaction score
alright was able to get the DS uvch off and checked it thouroughly, went to tremove the ps valve cover and the nut for the dipstick tube is seized up and i didnt want to risk breaking the tube or screwing up the oring in the pan from it twisting..... also i put ford harness's on it a year or two ago and am confident that it is fine... if thats what it winds up being after looking elsewhere itll be my own fault. the connector did look fine, no burnt or corroded or spread pins.

97cherokee

Reaction score
hey guys i put it all back together and put a known good idm on and test drove it 20 miles with no issues today! looks like this was a bad reman which makes sense since the truck didnt have this issue before, also noticed that the truck idles super smooth now, before it had a slight miss to it. youd have to know it was there and then itd stick out.

Latest posts

Members online