Old vs new

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I was watching a you tube video comparing hp to the rear wheels for the 3 1 ton trucks. Ford Dodge and Chevy. Ford was putting down somewhere around 40 more hp than dodge and Chevy wasn't in the ballpark. However Dodge had around 18 more ft/lbs of torque. Here in the near future I'm planning to do some major work on my 2001 f250 7.3. 160/30 inj,t500 hpop,new up pipes,new 4" exhaust and either a t4 setup with a 366 turbo or just rebuild my Garrett with 66 mm wheel and ported housing with either 1.15 or or smaller exhaust outlet. With a php hydra and good tuning shouldn't I be able to come close to the stock numbers of the the new trucks? My tranny is built but am definitely going to install a billet tc.

ncollins64

Reaction score
IMO with those sticks and the right turbo and other supporting mods you should be equal to or above the new trucks stock numbers. You should be 375-400 at the wheels but that depends on whose injectors tuning etc. The new trucks are just refined and feels more powerful and smoother.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I'm thinking pis sticks and ********. Just take it down there and let him custom tune it. Now I've drove some stock 6.0's and 6.4's. But they just didn't have the feel of power that my 7.3 does. I haven't towed with them but when I've towed my 34' pull behind @12k or more loaded going through the the Rockies in Colorado and across Nevada into California the harder I pushed my truck the better it ran. 2500 rpm at 70 mph to the mat and those hills were 20 miles maybe 5 or 6 in a row in July and I couldn't ask for better. Why's stayed at 850 and oil temp never moved off 180. And pulled them all back to back stopping only a couple times to pee.

Arisley

Reaction score
While you will make the same or maybe even a little better numbers. The extra gears in the transmission kills us. The new trucks have two or possibly three overdrives.

ja_cain

Reaction score
While you will make the same or maybe even a little better numbers. The extra gears in the transmission kills us. The new trucks have two or possibly three overdrives.
What Andy said! The transmissions in these new trucks make so much better use of the power band. If I could get a gear splitter that would hold up to about 800 lb-ft torque, I would say game on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Pardon me for my ignorance because I am by any means an auto mechanic, but what I've often wondered and about is why can't transmissions interchange in these trucks? One thing I do understand is the computer system for whatever reason won't allow the 6 speed auto in the newer trucks to operate. I asked this question once before and was given an explanation by someone either here in this site or another forum as to why this won't work. But however, why can't an aftermarket 6 speed be made to work in these trucks with proper tuning or even a whole new computer program base to work off of? I've always said that if you could get this linked up I don't think anything could out perform it in its class. Interchangeability has been easy let's say with GM cars and trucks. Same tranny goes behind a 4.3,5.0,5.7 6 speeds out of Corvettes will fit behind a5.3 in a s10 pickup. So is it that Ford has done this on purpose? Just crazy questions that sometimes I wonder about.

Swaan

Reaction score
Just put a gear vendors under/over in your truck. Problem solved. You can split every gear. Don't need no 6 speed trans

Having said that, I just bought a 16 6.7 and they are amazing. Pulls just as good as my 97 in my signature.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Comming from a DRW 04 F350 4.10 gears, with a 12v cummins, zf6 with compounds. I am now in a 15 f350 3.31 gears srw. My 15 will wipe the floor with my old setup hands down. Better in every aspect from mileage, to power, to drivibility. I had the 12v setup with the PDD live and it worked great. I know its not exactly a 7.3 but just trying to give some insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just put a gear vendors under/over in your truck. Problem solved. You can split every gear. Don't need no 6 speed trans

Having said that, I just bought a 16 6.7 and they are amazing. Pulls just as good as my 97 in my signature.

Is your new truck ******d?

Swaan

Reaction score
Is your new truck ******d?

It's got all it's parts at the moment. Runs great with lots power. When warranty is getting close to up certain parts might go missing for sure.
There will always be a soft spot for 7.3s but this new truck is hands down better in every way and I thought I'd never say that. I loved my 97

Latest posts

Members online