Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Welding & Fabrication Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Default Mock up turbo models

I'm sure several of you have seen the long block engines that were made of plastic that had the engine mount bolt bungs in place but the weighed a fraction of the real thing to help with mocking up an engine before you put the real deal in place. Why doesn't anyone make something along the same lines with turbos? I'd like to start fabbing my charger setup, I'm just not crazy about buying an $1800 turbo to leave it sit while I get everything fab'd and welded up.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'roy78stroker View Post
I'm sure several of you have seen the long block engines that were made of plastic that had the engine mount bolt bungs in place but the weighed a fraction of the real thing to help with mocking up an engine before you put the real deal in place. Why doesn't anyone make something along the same lines with turbos? I'd like to start fabbing my charger setup, I'm just not crazy about buying an $1800 turbo to leave it sit while I get everything fab'd and welded up.
Find someone with a 3d printer and have them draw it up in Solidworks and then print it. We have a large format one at work and the intern has one that probably has enough work envelope to print a turbo. Which one (turbo) are you thinking about?

Last edited by ja_cain; 09-14-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

472 sxe.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:23 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

You can import image files as a sketch in Solidworks. Then you could use the Autotrace feature (if available) or manually trace it. Then it could be printed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 05:32 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Terrific idea Cain. Now, I have not had any exposure at all to the 3d printing world. Is the piece it produces sturdy enough to handle being fastened lightly into position?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Terrific idea Cain. Now, I have not had any exposure at all to the 3d printing world. Is the piece it produces sturdy enough to handle being fastened lightly into position?
Absolutely. The parts can even be annealed for increased strength.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Wow. I shouldn't be surprised at how out of touch I am with modern technologies though. I've found a local business that does 3d printing. I think they advertised 50/hr for composing the sketch, and $10/hr for actual printing. If you have had exposure to this for sometime Cain, would you have a ball park idea of what to expect for a reasonable quote for print time of something this size?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Wow. I shouldn't be surprised at how out of touch I am with modern technologies though. I've found a local business that does 3d printing. I think they advertised 50/hr for composing the sketch, and $10/hr for actual printing. If you have had exposure to this for sometime Cain, would you have a ball park idea of what to expect for a reasonable quote for print time of something this size?
Not sure on that one. It all depends on the deposition rate of the machine for a given resolution. This will dictate the print time. As resolution goes up print time goes down. You shouldn't need much resolution for what you are trying to achieve. Plus, a little post processing might be envolved like removing supports. If multiple people where interested in something like this I would pitch it to my intern. He can do the solidworks stuff and print it for you. He does have a full load of classes this semester though.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Ford, uses 3D printing for some parts for R&D.

3D printing is amazing.

No Limit Fabrication
Midwest Diesel & Auto
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Ive got a printer this should fit on it. I can do one for you. Jacain what is the native file for that turbo 2d wireframe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8WR_ZJ View Post
Ive got a printer this should fit on it. I can do one for you. Jacain what is the native file for that turbo 2d wireframe?

It's a jpg. I'll see if I can find another type like png. I think Adobe has a product with good trace functionality that can be used on jpg if SW has issues.

Last edited by ja_cain; 09-15-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 AM
General
Member's Gallery

For the Borgs, the frame size is dictated by the first number, all S400s chargers (467.7, 480, 488 etc) are the same frame regardless of compressor or cover. However depending on what cover you buy (standard or race), that changes external dimensions on that side of the turbo.

That other thing that may pose a challenge when 3d printing is orientation of the cover. Almost never are the turbos installed the way they come out of the box. It takes clocking to get it just right. NOW if you could 3d print to haves that mate using the v band clamp that comes on the turbo, that would be the cat's meow for mockup purposes!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

That would absolutely be ideal, but Im sure that would also drive the price up.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Could you import and trace the everything but say the compressor wheel and cover? That way you could attach a real cover onto the 3D printed version with a v band. Would allow you to clock the cover how you need it when building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I just sold my 467.7 or I could have just mailed it to you just so we could have had the frame to go off of at least. Dang it man.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

Cool. I have Inventor, but not Autocad.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:10 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different
Old 09-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

That's awesome man! I wish we were close as I would love to collaborate! Lol! One of the machine shops I work with is thinking about eventually getting a metal printer. The only problem is that there isn't really good support yet. He does a lot of work for Northrop Grumman and NASA.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
That's awesome man! I wish we were close as I would love to collaborate! Lol! One of the machine shops I work with is thinking about eventually getting a metal printer. The only problem is that there isn't really good support yet. He does a lot of work for Northrop Grumman and NASA.
Yea i "needed" the printer for work. I later bought the far scanner for a side buisness. It has worked out well. This is the stuff i really like to do i just dont get to do it as much as i would like.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different
I was wondering the same thing. The BW site is worthless. I can't even find info on the sx-e line on their site. Maybe my internet prowess is waning. Lol!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Yea i "needed" the printer for work. I later bought the far scanner for a side buisness. It has worked out well. This is the stuff i really like to do i just dont get to do it as much as i would like.

I hear you man. I have a lot of things that I want to do, but work keeps getting in the way. Lol! Hopefully in the next 3 months things will change for the better. I want to take things in a different direction there. Just need to get one huge monkey off my back.

Btw, what is the far scanner? Is it some kind of laser scanner. I familiar with profilometer type systems, but not real up to speed on laser stuff.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I hear you man. I have a lot of things that I want to do, but work keeps getting in the way. Lol! Hopefully in the next 3 months things will change for the better. I want to take things in a different direction there. Just need to get one huge monkey off my back.

Btw, what is the far scanner? Is it some kind of laser scanner. I familiar with profilometer type systems, but not real up to speed on laser stuff.
Sorry autocorrect. Faro 330x. + - 2mm @ 330 meters. The closer you are to the target the more acurrate. It also takes 70 mp pictures abd overlays the pictures over the laser scan to give good visual apperance to the point cloud. I use it for scanning client petrochemical facilites, route piping, locate equipment, and use it for dimensional verification. Also used it to scan the engine, trans, tcase, axles and seats that i am putting in my buggy. I then built my tube frame around all those parts. Then cut the tabs, brackets, and parts on my plasma table. Cut the tube ends on the plasma as well. I can scan anything and with the use of scene, recap, and inventor I can make a model from anything in the scan. Exceptionally easy and fun IMO. I like it.

Last edited by 8WR_ZJ; 09-16-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Sorry autocorrect. Faro 330x. I use it for scanning client petrochemical facilites, route piping, locate equipment, and use it for dimensional verification. Also used it to scan the engine, trans, tcase, axles and seats that i am putting in my buggy. I then built my tube frame around all those parts. Then cut the tabs, brackets, and parts on my plasma table. Cut the tube ends on the plasma as well. I can scan anything and with the use of scene, recap, and inventor I can make a model from anything in the scan. Exceptionally easy and fun IMO. I like it.

Sounds bad azz! Definitely going to look into them. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ja_cain; 09-16-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Looks like they are laser based and pretty expensive too. Definitely well reviewed though. That's cool you have such an awesome tool like this at your disposal.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post

I think there change in size on the exhaust housing side would be negligible. Especially for the uses that these mock up turbos would be used for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Looks like they are laser based and pretty expensive too. Definitely well reviewed though. That's cool you have such an awesome tool like this at your disposal.

They are expensive. However mine has returned all the money i have invested into it and more. It just took me a two or three years to make it all back. It is nice to have though. I scanned my entire house inside and out and my property. Its fun to see what changes and great for insurance purposes.

So does the exhaust flange dimension does not change just the size of the snail? Or does the dimension change from say centerline of drain to centerline of exhaust housing?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
They are expensive. However mine has returned all the money i have invested into it and more. It just took me a two or three years to make it all back. It is nice to have though. I scanned my entire house inside and out and my property. Its fun to see what changes and great for insurance purposes.

So does the exhaust flange dimension does not change just the size of the snail? Or does the dimension change from say centerline of drain to centerline of exhaust housing?

That's cool you got a roi in that ammount of time. I would love to scan my property. You have links to a video of someone using this as a cmm on small parts? I notice they make an arm type for that kind of application. The two machine shops we use have one or multiple zeiss cmm's. Definitly a large footprint compared to your device. Lol! They are crazy acurate though. Metrology is an interesting area. I used to work for a company that had all kinds of different metrology technology at their disposal. The size and type of features they could measure were mind boggling.

Btw, what printer model do you have? Any pics of stuff you have printed with it?

Last edited by ja_cain; 09-17-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I guess you could use it as a cmm on small parts. However the faro arm is much more suited for that. I have scanned a few small parts. They are almost all on my work computer at the office. My machine is a homebuilt off of cnczone.com same as my plasma table. The printer is 8x8x12 tall. Card and drivers and motors are from one company the head is from another. I cut the stand and base on the plasma then welded it up. Fun little project cost about 250 minus the stand. I had a little trouble shooting but the people on cnczone.com helped me work it out in 2 days. Now it works great. The is a new head out that will allow you to do a powdered alumina with plastic. Looks awesome and can handle some abuse. I know i have a few things i printed around the house here for the kids. Let me look.

Last edited by 8WR_ZJ; 09-17-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I guess you could use it as a cmm on small parts. However the faro arm is much more suited for that. I have scanned a few small parts. They are almost all on my work computer at the office. My machine is a homebuilt off of cnczone.com same as my plasma table. The printer is 8x8x12 tall. Card and drivers and motors are from one company the head is from another. I cut the stand and base on the plasma then welded it up. Fun little project cost about 250 minus the stand. I had a little trouble shooting but the people on cnczone.com helped me work it out in 2 days. Now it works great. The is a new head out that will allow you to do a powdered alumina with plastic. Looks awesome and can handle some abuse. I know i have a few things i printed around the house here for the kids. Let me look.

That's awesome you built it yourself. I would like to take the one at work and put ball screws on it and upgrade the head. The table/platform is heated too, but not sure to what degree.

That is cool you can dope the polymer with alumina. That will greatly enhance the thermal conductivity. I can think of many different situation where this could be helpful. Can't wait to see some samples.