trans issues

Reaction score
Hey fellas, ive been having an issue with the trans on my 96 7.3. Somedays it shifts great and smooth. today i was doing about 20 mph and it revved to about 2400 and wouldnt shift until i let off the throttle. Then coming to a stop and taking off first and second gear were shifting sooner than it should have and shifting rough as heck. Changed the Range sensor which helped the issue for about a week when it first happened, also changed vss and vss pigtail. any other idea? TCM?

Reaction score
fluid looks good. drove it an hour to charleston today and back no issues abs light is gone now...confused

Reaction score
drove it again tonight...revved high and wouldnt shift into second eventually it shifts but its really rough. Anybody have any random ideas?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What is your abs light on for? That could do it. You didnt mention it in the first post.

Reaction score
i thought it was on for the vss. I replaced that and it didnt go away right away but it has remained off now.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
Check range sensor; my brother's '97 did the exact same thing. Replaced range sensor after scratching our heads forever and that resolved the issue.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would get something that can pull codes. If it is indeed vss related, that would throw shifting off. Also check the solenoid pack connector for fluid in it, that causes goofy chit too.

Reaction score
i changed the range sensor, that made it shift better but its still having issues sporadically. I have an autoenginuity scanner on the way in the mail as we speak... Where is the solenoid pack connector located?

Reaction score
looked at the connector and wires today and it was not good...wires were all black and corrorroded so im gonna order a rebuild kit for the pigtail and connector and see how that goes... thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
so replaced the pigtail for the solenoid pack connector that fixed it for a while then i had a short in the brake circuit i just fixed and now its doing it again. It will shift great then out of nowhere just shift horrible in 1st and 2nd.

Reaction score
ive got an autoenginuity drove around with it hooked up yesterday not codes at all and now the abs light is staying off. gonna keep an eye on it and see what happens thanks.

Latest posts

Members online