Can the E4OD take this...?

JCart

Reaction score
Need input Guys,

Tan sig truck is gonna get a D60, RSK on SD spring in the next little bit, just wrapping up full rebuild (my son is) on the D60. I have some PIS 175/80 jectors, T500 along with a PI Stallion TC, if I installed this stuff along with a reputable shift kit say from BTS or John Wood (or other reputable vender) would the E4OD hold up? The notion is a DD that tows once in a while, not huge loads. 4:10 gears in it too. Just getting parts for an e-fuel system with stock 7.3 e-pump. Also have parts for an IC that will install in time, have an auxiliary tranny cooler for it too. DP, 4” exhaust, intake is on and will be running Hydra.

Main concern is if the E4OD can take it, truck has 128,000 Kms on it now. Am looking at loaner trucks for ZF5 conversion in long term, cause I like to shift...

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
j

mandkole

Reaction score
Plenty of guys have just installed converters, a VB and perhaps a Sonnax valve in used trans with decent results. If the trans wasn't used hard and well maintained up to that point, its possible. The frequent full throttle/heavy load upshifts and poor TCC control are the killer, but its not like that you put the parts in and it suddenly dies. I would probably give it a shot if I were in your shoes.

Its just time of heavy duty cycle exposure. If you use a heavy tow file to pull back as much fuel as possible when towing, you 'should' be fine ;). YRMV...

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Need input Guys,

Tan sig truck is gonna get a D60, RSK on SD spring in the next little bit, just wrapping up full rebuild (my son is) on the D60. I have some PIS 175/80 jectors, T500 along with a PI Stallion TC, if I installed this stuff along with a reputable shift kit say from BTS or John Wood (or other reputable vender) would the E4OD hold up? The notion is a DD that tows once in a while, not huge loads. 4:10 gears in it too. Just getting parts for an e-fuel system with stock 7.3 e-pump. Also have parts for an IC that will install in time, have an auxiliary tranny cooler for it too. DP, 4” exhaust, intake is on and will be running Hydra.

Main concern is if the E4OD can take it, truck has 128,000 Kms on it now. Am looking at loaner trucks for ZF5 conversion in long term, cause I like to shift...

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
j

I would build up the trans to have a piece of mind. My build up is very similar to yours and I wouldn't chance it. To properly install a shift improver kit, the trans needs to be removed. Plus, why chance ruining a $1200+ converter?

Billy T.
[email protected]

JCart

Reaction score
I would build up the trans to have a piece of mind. My build up is very similar to yours and I wouldn't chance it. To properly install a shift improver kit, the trans needs to be removed. Plus, why chance ruining a $1200+ converter?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Thanks Billy, as I live in Canada, not aware of quality E4OD builders so my thinking long term is ZF5 conversion (I don’t mind shifting). That and I’ve tended to get better mileage and feel like I have better control with a ZF. Don’t get me wrong I like auto, it’s the coast side, meaning engine hold back (I.e., going downhill) that Im not lovin with auto compare to ZF.

The PI Stallion is a part I’ve had from my Red CCSB swap to ZF, so the notion was to drop that in with shift improver kit for now, along with auxiliary cooler and run it with Hydra tunes, with stock injectors.

If parts I could install with relative ease like shift improver kit along with Stallion and if that would hold up under moderate abuse I’d install the PIS 175/80 jectors and T500 for ****s and giggles along with IC and E fuel (as I’ll need those anyways). Then I source parts for ZF conversion. In theory the stock E4 on this truck should be in good shape as it’s only (whole truck) got 128,000 Kms 75,000 Miles or so on the clock.

What other internals would a guy need for long term service out of a E4OD? I’m certainly not a tranny guy and I feel I’m too far from reputable guys in the USA to have an E4OD. Thus the above rationale then move to ZF...

Thanks, sorry for the long ramble...

j

JCart

Reaction score
Cant keep a 4eod togather

This is exactly what I don’t wanna get into. I don’t have skill sets, aside from shade tree minor bolt ons or access to known reputable builder locally. Correct me if I’m wrong but there are many many more E4 to ZF failures AND... more re-fails as a result of questionable rebuilds. I typically keep my trucks and the ZF5 seems the logical answer for me for long term.

So short term could use shopping list for E4 to hold me over till I collect parts for ZF swap.

The Presision Stallion TC is just sitting in the shop so thought I’d install and if I’m pulling it down (tranny) may as well install some shift kit upgrades. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA,
j

old man dave

Reaction score
This is exactly what I don’t wanna get into. I don’t have skill sets, aside from shade tree minor bolt ons or access to known reputable builder locally. Correct me if I’m wrong but there are many many more E4 to ZF failures AND... more re-fails as a result of questionable rebuilds. I typically keep my trucks and the ZF5 seems the logical answer for me for long term.

So short term could use shopping list for E4 to hold me over till I collect parts for ZF swap.

The Presision Stallion TC is just sitting in the shop so thought I’d install and if I’m pulling it down (tranny) may as well install some shift kit upgrades. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA,
j

One of the reasons for more E4OD failures is that there are a lot more E4s out there than ZFs. There are also a lot of crappy auto rebuilders out there also. Try out a BTS or John Wood, they do not shift anywhere like a stock unit and are far more durable also.

My brother had a local shop modify his E4OD with "heavy duty stuff" for $3000, 40K miles later, the trans was kaput. My $3400 BTS install at the same time was still going strong with stageIIs driven hard. What's worse is that my brother's truck was only a stock turbo IDI.

You are correct about the driving differences between a stick and an auto. When my buddy swapped a stick for his auto, the truck gained 1.5mpg over the same 400 mile trip towing his small five'er. Also better coasting speed control on the downhills. But, as I have posted before, 6 months later, the auto (now modified with valve body and Precision TC) was back in. Seems that his left leg was getting more tired than he recalled when he was a kid.

And freeway stop-n-go is killer with a stick.

JCart

Reaction score
One of the reasons for more E4OD failures is that there are a lot more E4s out there than ZFs. There are also a lot of crappy auto rebuilders out there also. Try out a BTS or John Wood, they do not shift anywhere like a stock unit and are far more durable also.

My brother had a local shop modify his E4OD with "heavy duty stuff" for $3000, 40K miles later, the trans was kaput. My $3400 BTS install at the same time was still going strong with stageIIs driven hard. What's worse is that my brother's truck was only a stock turbo IDI.

You are correct about the driving differences between a stick and an auto. When my buddy swapped a stick for his auto, the truck gained 1.5mpg over the same 400 mile trip towing his small five'er. Also better coasting speed control on the downhills. But, as I have posted before, 6 months later, the auto (now modified with valve body and Precision TC) was back in. Seems that his left leg was getting more tired than he recalled when he was a kid.

And freeway stop-n-go is killer with a stick.

If I lived closer or in USA, no question I’d be a BTS or J Wood. Here out in hinterland BC, I can’t really have truck down for long. And again not wanting to repeat your brothers experience. In terms of stick driving 2 other trucks drove both for almost a million Kms combined with ZF5, (in fact same ZF5 heh heh).

mj current E4OD is late build 97 and I think I’ll install the Precision TC and some valve body (not sure what parts I actually need) and run till I get ZF5 parts lined up.

j

mandkole

Reaction score
If I lived closer or in USA, no question I’d be a BTS or J Wood. Here out in hinterland BC, I can’t really have truck down for long. And again not wanting to repeat your brothers experience. In terms of stick driving 2 other trucks drove both for almost a million Kms combined with ZF5, (in fact same ZF5 heh heh).

mj current E4OD is late build 97 and I think I’ll install the Precision TC and some valve body (not sure what parts I actually need) and run till I get ZF5 parts lined up.

j

Im not convinced it has to be a JW or a BTS. A good shop that is keeping up with transmission technology today and cares about their customers, can do a good build for you. We saw enough stuff during my BTS repair to know that they are not doing anything special in a 500hp build except using the latest 02-03 4R components.

I also have some E4 parts in mine (OD frictions are the first that come to mind). I don't have a 'big name' TC either-- a std stall, 5R110 triple disk by a local shop that was built knowing that it would see full power now and then. Its never missed a beat.

Lots of attention paid to the TCC control valving, use a mechanical pressure riser, and a VB that's drilled for a firm shift at high power. (The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are don't break your back, but you know they are happening.)

JCart

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Mandkole. My plan is to speak with BTS and J Wood and go from there. Just wrapping up 2xD60 conversions on Son and my truck and will move forward with Tranny mods for mine, he’s rebuilding a spare FZ for his..

j

Denver

Reaction score
I do have to say JW knows his stuff. When he built the tow master for my truck he asked what size tire and who's tunes. Told him 285's and GH tunes. At the time he was building it it had 265's and no tunes. It shifted well when I got it back. Once I put the 285's on it, it was shifting great. When the GH tunes got installed they worked great with the trans. Almost 200K miles later still going strong and I have stretched out services to 50K miles.

old man dave

Reaction score
Thanks for the Link Billy, he is on the opposite side of the country I’m 300 Miles in land from Vancouver on the West coast. Shipping in Canada can be huge (more) compared to the USA.

j

Maybe you can make a short vacation to JW. He's in SoCal, so the cost of shipping just may cover a road trip. Just don't declare it when you return home since it would be hidden under the truck.:toast:

Had to look up Kamloops to see where it is. Haven't been there but have been to Williams Lake to fish the outlet of Quesnel Lake. Flat out the best late summer trout fishing I have ever experienced. Fished the outlet of the lake where there is a big swirl pool where salmon would spawn. Big trout would come out of the river and eat the eggs. They would hammer a single egg and we had hookups 19 out of 20 casts. Did a lot of catch and release since there was no way we could eat all of the fish we caught. Only problem was the 50 mile trip in from the main highway, bumpy dirt road all of the way.

Last edited:

JCart

Reaction score
Maybe you can make a short vacation to JW. He's in SoCal, so the cost of shipping just may cover a road trip. Just don't declare it when you return home since it would be hidden under the truck.:toast:

Had to look up Kamloops to see where it is. Haven't been there but have been to Williams Lake to fish the outlet of Quesnel Lake. Flat out the best late summer trout fishing I have ever experienced. Fished the outlet of the lake where there is a big swirl pool where salmon would spawn. Big trout would come out of the river and eat the eggs. They would hammer a single egg and we had hookups 19 out of 20 casts. Did a lot of catch and release since there was no way we could eat all of the fish we caught. Only problem was the 50 mile trip in from the main highway, bumpy dirt road all of the way.

Thats another option Dave that I’d consider too, good one! My only concern is if I have a problem then it could be problematic to get it back to JW. Think I’ve resigned myself to the ZF option long term. Short term I’m gonna install the PI TC and some sort of shift enhancing hardware and run till I can swap to a ZF system.

Quesnel Lake/Williams Lake yes beautiful country, with the exception of a massive mining tailings reservoir catastrophe, check out Mount Polly mining disaster. And get this.... not one person or entity has been charged for this disaster......unbelievable. This is the largest mining disaster in Canadian history too. I’m all for resource extraction if done appropriately, but good god this disaster is an embarrassment globally. Very sad indeed.

Thanks again for suggestion.

j

JCart

Reaction score
I do have to say JW knows his stuff. When he built the tow master for my truck he asked what size tire and who's tunes. Told him 285's and GH tunes. At the time he was building it it had 265's and no tunes. It shifted well when I got it back. Once I put the 285's on it, it was shifting great. When the GH tunes got installed they worked great with the trans. Almost 200K miles later still going strong and I have stretched out services to 50K miles.

Awesome Denver, thanks for the insight, my plan is to call JW when i get my D60 RSK swap completed by this weekend I hope.

j

psduser1

Reaction score
Im not convinced it has to be a JW or a BTS. A good shop that is keeping up with transmission technology today and cares about their customers, can do a good build for you. We saw enough stuff during my BTS repair to know that they are not doing anything special in a 500hp build except using the latest 02-03 4R components.

I also have some E4 parts in mine (OD frictions are the first that come to mind). I don't have a 'big name' TC either-- a std stall, 5R110 triple disk by a local shop that was built knowing that it would see full power now and then. Its never missed a beat.

Lots of attention paid to the TCC control valving, use a mechanical pressure riser, and a VB that's drilled for a firm shift at high power. (The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are don't break your back, but you know they are happening.)
I agree with the very first line! Local guy did a stock rebuild for my excursion. Bts valvebody, and it flat works. Very minimal mods, no crazy hp, but at 50k miles, the trans shifts just as nice now as it did day one.

Latest posts

Members online