Low power issues

jopes1

Reaction score
Blew hole in piston and put a new engine in. Reman 180/100 injectors were put in before 1500 miles before engine went out.

After about 250 miles my chip lost heavy tow and economy / light tow. Right up to the day I disconnected the batteries to pull the chip I was getting 25-28 psi boost and the truck ran fine in the higher power settings as well as the high idle.

Get chip back and now I have no power in all settings. Idle is not as smooth and idle is high by about 100 rpms. Also seems like the idle is louder than it was before I pulled the chip.

Icp is 3200 @wot
Boost is 8-12 psi
Fuel pressure 55
Map sensor is reading boost

New ipr when I did motor
Ford under valve cover gaskets were used when I did injectors

When I lost the two tow settings I removed the chip and recleaned the ecm. It never changed.

Last night I drive it and it didn't have power. Stopped shut engine off, 15/20 seconds later I restarted it and it ran fine as in 28psi boost till I shifted into 4th gear. Then it fell on its face again with 12 psi boost.

Ideas on what to do?
Is the chip faulty?
Something else a issue?

Arisley

Reaction score
How does it run without the chip.

When you re-cleaned the J# port on the PCM did you get into the copper on the connectors. If so, you need to re-tin the pins.

jopes1

Reaction score
I am under the impression that with single shots in a 01 it will not run worth a ****.

I know the first time when I installed the chip 5 years ago I didn't go to copper. And now when I cleaned them a little more I can't remember if I went to copper. I'll have to look.

I read both about having to go to copper and alot about not going to copper and having to retin them. TS, says to go to copper.

Arisley

Reaction score
No copper.

Single shots, especially small ones like yours, with split shot tuning will have a bit of a choppy idle. Even with stock tuning, they should run pretty good with stock tunes. My 250/200's with an H2E turbo, and Adrenaline HPOP and regulated return fuel. would run a good bit choppy at idle. When I stuck my foot in it, it might or might not caugh (depending on where I caught it in it's chop), and then light up and run pretty freaking good.

However, my truck was not only a dinosaur, it was a unicorn. It had 378K niles on it when I sold it and not a sign of blowby.

Last edited:

jopes1

Reaction score
I don't know why I never checked before, probably because I never had codes. But I have codes now for Stuff that not on my truck.

P0750 shift solenoid a
P0755 shift solenoid b
P0743 torque converter clutch circuit electrical
P1754 coast clutch solenoid circuit malfunction

Those all look like automatic transmission crap and I have a manual.

mandkole

Reaction score
Was yours converted to manual, or you have a replaced pcm for an auto?

The pcm should run the single shot injs on split shot tuning. Mine has pedal sensitivity and poor fuel command but it idles/runs better than expected.

Arisley

Reaction score
Somebody replaced the PCM with a PCM from an automatic. The PCM is setting those codes because it is looking for an automatic transmission and not getting a response. Should not affect anything though.

Either that or it could possibly be that your chip has tunes for an auto and that makes the PCM look for an auto. Try pulling the chip, clearing the codes and see if they come back.

jopes1

Reaction score
I'm betting wrong tunes as I never had them before. Has the truck since 2006 and never seen them.

I'll pull the chip and see how things go. On Friday.

uncool

Reaction score
Had the same issue with ********. getting codes for things i never had. They could not get my truck to run with there tunning.

jopes1

Reaction score
Pulled the chip this morning and it ran rough and idled about 1300. But when I drove it I was getting all good feelings inside because it ran just fine. 25+ psi boost.

I totally think this chip took a crap and even though it works fine when burning it when connected to the truck it doesn't work right.

My connections are not taken down to copper so im sure I'm spending some money for a new one

jopes1

Reaction score
That is some funky stuff going on. you got a reburn on the chip? Is that what im reading correctly?

live life full throttle

I did get a return on the chip. The main reason for the return was because I lost two tunes on the chip. The other 4 still worked. Now none want to work.

Since I got one truck project done today I'll pull the ecm again tomorrow and try some contact cleaner.

Just doesn't make sense to me how two tunes were gone and the others still worked before the return.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I did get a return on the chip. The main reason for the return was because I lost two tunes on the chip. The other 4 still worked. Now none want to work.

Since I got one truck project done today I'll pull the ecm again tomorrow and try some contact cleaner.

Just doesn't make sense to me how two tunes were gone and the others still worked before the return.
Maybe the switch is bad

live life full throttle

jopes1

Reaction score
Switch was tested. I also removed the switch from the chip and it should default to setting#1. Still no go. ☹️

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
When you pulled the chip and drove it, you left the chip out while driving and it drove fine? Then nothing happens when the chip is installed other than it runs like crap?

live life full throttle

jopes1

Reaction score
Yes drove fine, other than higher idle and a touchy throttle till it got moving. Pulled 25psi boost... Repeatedly.

Put chip in and it won't make power. But if I kill the engine, flip key to on and let clutch out and hop on it the thing pulls 28-30 psi boost then falls on it's face again. Not smoking like it's a boost leak or anything. Acts like it's not getting fed fuel. Fuel pressure 55+ and icp over 2800 when this happens.

brewer

Reaction score
Do you have AE or any other scanner program that reads Mass Fuel Desired?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes drove fine, other than higher idle and a touchy throttle till it got moving. Pulled 25psi boost... Repeatedly.

Put chip in and it won't make power. But if I kill the engine, flip key to on and let clutch out and hop on it the thing pulls 28-30 psi boost then falls on it's face again. Not smoking like it's a boost leak or anything. Acts like it's not getting fed fuel. Fuel pressure 55+ and icp over 2800 when this happens.
Dafuq, absolutely no codes? Not just ones that set the cel but soft codes too..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online