Differences between OBS and SD 7.3s?

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a post on here or a different forum that goes over the differences between late OBS motors and PMR motors? I’ve looked and looked but haven’t found anything worth any value.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Biggest difference is power and reliability obs motors have less power and more reliability than pmr's. Also injectors, turbos, computer programming are different. One is also intercooled and one isn't

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Pmr's didnt happen till 2001. There are lots of posts about the differences. Been a while. But google it and it will show up.

live life full throttle

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t clear enough, I meant like the block and how stuff mounts.I bought a pmr motor to put in my 97. I just need to know what I can keep and and what I have to change on it.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
Pull it down to a long block. Leave the high pressure oil pump. Bolt on the 1997 stuff and injectors.

You'll also have to go with electric fuel unless you change the cam.

Last edited:

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
That’s about what I thought, just needed confirmation from someone who’s more knowledgeable than me. Gonna put in different injectors, pump, cam and e-fuel it anyways. Thanks guys

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That’s about what I thought, just needed confirmation from someone who’s more knowledgeable than me. Gonna put in different injectors, pump, cam and e-fuel it anyways. Thanks guys
Whats wrong with the 97 block?

Id put all the sd stuff on the 97 block lol

live life full throttle

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Nothing lol. I just got a sweet deal on this pmr motor so I’m gonna build and drop it in. I can’t be without my truck for very long or else I would’ve yanked it’s motor out to build it already

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
I’m doing a full rebuild on the pmr motor before I put it in. I got the stock pistons and rods out of the pmr motor about an hour ago, they will not be going back in.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an upgraded crank for 7.3s? I’ve looked and looked but I can’t find anything. A guy I know snapped his turning 5k and I’d like to be able to spin around that on the track. I’ve thought about getting it cryo’d but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty and unknowns with that process

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I don’t know of any differences with cranks. Just make sure it and everything else is balanced. I don’t know of any 5k rpm 7.3’s

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
I didn’t think the cranks were different, just wasn’t sure if someone offered an aftermarket one. I’m not sure what all was done to his motor or what he was doing when it snapped. I’m hoping to turn 4500+

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
How do I find the serial number? I don’t remember a wear sleeve being on there. Everything is at the machine shop right now so I won’t be able to check it again

Latest posts

Members online