Driveshaft Question

Reaction score
I have removed the lift off of my truck and put it back to stock height. When I bought it I noticed it has an after market driveshaft in it. Mine is a one piece and now that the lift is off I am afraid there isn't enough in and out slack? How much should these trucks have and how exactly do I measure it? Thanks!

Truck is 2002 F250 4x4 crew cab automatic.

ToMang07

Reaction score
How much lift? Only way to know is measure the existing shaft and compare to stock. I'm running a 1 piece 5' aluminum on mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Best I could tell it was a 4" lift using blocks. I forgot to measure the actual blocks last night, can do that this evening. I don't have a stock shaft to compare this to. What is making me worry is while it had the lift you could see couple inches of the shaft that slides into the yoke behind the transfer case (if I am using the right terminology), and now with the lift off and the weight sitting back on the rear-end I only see about 1/2 to maybe 1" of the shaft? Sitting as is I think its ok but if I was to put a load on or cross a ditch etc... I am afraid it would not have enough play and shove the shaft right into the back of the T case breaking into pieces.

ToMang07

Reaction score
If it was summer I'd roll under mine and take a measurement for ya. Sorry man, lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with who I was told is a very reputable drive shaft guy (not sure what you call a guy who makes, fixes, shafts?) .Anyways, He basically told me to pull the shaft apart and get him a measurement from center of cap behind T case, to the center of the cap at the rear end (while all the weight was resting on the suspension) and then bring him the shaft and he can make it right BUT what has me worried is he was surprised it has a one piece shaft and said there is a reason they put two pieces in. Something about angles, bad vibrations etc... Now my truck vibrated at interstate speeds (80 mph +/-) but on normal roads and speeds it was actually very smooth ride. I just chalked it up to big tires maybe not balanced to good for top speeds. Should I be worried about a one piece shaft now or what? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I feel completely dumb over a simply drive shaft.:doh:

Reaction score
Well that makes me feel better about the one piece now. The funny thing is the guy I talked to is Dave's who in that other thread was the guy that was building one pieces and was recommended by one of the users on here in Nashville.

Reaction score
Well I am positive it is to long. Got under the truck to get the measurement's Dave's (In Nashville) asked for, while all the weight was off the rear end and after I did that I went ahead and took the driveshaft out so I could drop the truck and I just verily had enough slack to get the shaft out. Home to go see Dave this Friday and see what he says.

Zeb

Reaction score
A 4 door short bed is right at the length limit for a 1 piece, steel 4” tube driveshaft. Iirc, they don’t want over 3,250 rpm and 78” on a shaft like that.
Most shops will recommend stepping up to a 5” aluminum for a 1 piece drive shaft on these trucks.

Reaction score
I was told 72" but that isn't much different than 78". My measurement center of the cap to center of the cap is 67" and the angle looked perfect in my opinion so I really feel good that he can shorten it, check the balance and I will be good to go.

sootie

Reaction score
if a two piece shaft was meant to be on the truck, it would have a fixed yoke on the transfer case. If it was meant to have a one piece shaft, either the shaft itself will have a slip joint in it, or the transfer case will have a sliding tail shaft.

Reaction score
well I know my truck came with a two piece because you can still see the wear marks from where a carrier bearing used to be. Previous owner for reasons I don't know changed the driveshaft to a one piece. I also know the front and rear gear ratio has been changed to a lower gear (will have to pull the cover to see exactly what gear ratio he went with, and I know the transmission and transfer case has been out of the truck at one time. I have tried with no luck getting ahold of the previous owner to see why and what exactly was done. Shifts and drives great but would love to know about the tranny. Was it a local rebuild or some one's bullet proof tranny (BTS, Woods, Suncoast etc...).

I went with Dave's driveshaft in Nashville and he cut 1.5 inches off the driveshaft. balanced it, replaced a bad end that we found was coming apart when we went to remove the u-joint. I have mixed emotions about Dave's shop. His craftsman ship is outstanding!, but his people skills could use a lot of work. The man is over worked and overstressed and he tends to take it out on the customers BUT I know what its like to deal with public. Anyways, I asked him if I needed to save up for an aluminum shaft and he said I was fine with what I have. I was right at the length limit that they like but I shortened it so he said I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I need an alignment now but I did drive it around yesterday and seemed nice and smooth so I think I am good to go.

Latest posts

Members online