Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket

Old 03-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Default Getting a 6.7, what to do first?

Im sure this has been asked a lot, just dont have time to search pages of forums. Going to be getting a 2014 or 2015 6.7L within a couple weeks here. I am looking to get some things ordered so that when I get the truck, I can just bolt some stuff on, throw a tune on and go. I know the 6.0 crap, but this is all new. What im looking for is what everyone is going for/what the best is for all the ******s, and tuner. Any other recommendations? Again, I know this is basic stuff that I could research but am juggling a bunch of crap, and am just looking for a guy that knows to tell me get this, this and this basically. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Subíd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White truck, Winter/work truck/sled hauler, flat bed. 6637 filter. Ts performance chip. Dana 60. 5inch diamond eye exhaust.

2011 6.7 f350. 37xxx. 20x12 -44 305/55ís. Leveled
Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

They literally *** out d.e.l.e.t.e.s now? dafuq.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Yeah, the *** are pretty cool huh.

Get a 15, not a 14, for the slightly improved HPFP, injectors, main bearings, turbo, & maybe a couple other things. I had an 11, got a 14, wished I had a 15 but not worth restarting a loan, CCV house routing caused excessive turbo back pressure & crankcase pressure, formed oil droplets (not drips), traded into a 19, & I'm tickled to death. FYI, incase ya don't know, a Lariat Ultimate has basically all the bells n whistles of a King Ranch or Platinum. You'd miss out on a few little things, but nothing major...depending on your color and trim preferences and pricing.

I suggest C C V (do not kink or block hose at all or allow dips within hose routing if in very cold environment), E G R, D P F, G D P's E z L y n k toons, intake, Air D o g or F A S S if ya want the added fuel cleanliness (like I do)/not needed for pressure at entry level power levels. There's also a thing called a HPFP Disaster Prevention Kit that I highly suggest. I'll just let ya Google it or call someone about it. Otherwise, oil at 5k intervals, fuel at 15k, trans/xfer case/diffs at 60k (I swap filters and fluid at 30, flush at 60, & alternate from there), follow coolant checks, etc. I bet some folks would say that's a lil overkill. But IIRC, a Scorpion runs about $13k & a 6R140 runs about $7k. So, I do my maintenance slightly on the early side. Otherwise, enjoy the greatness that is a 6.7L PSD.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is the tuning "change on the fly" fine on these trucks? I know that was a no go for the 6.0s, but I suppose technology has come a long ways since I was dealing with all that on my 6.0.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

No prob, glad it covered what you were looking for. I used S O T F quite a bit with G D P's toons on the Ez L y n k & never had a problem. I'll soon be using the same setup on my 19, plus their monitor. Using your phone is okay. But, I got tired of putting it in and getting it out of the mount every time I got in or out of my truck. They have a S O T F switch that mounts where your OBDII port is or you can switch via their monitor, btw. ... very easy to use, great customer support, tons of great toons, nice monitoring layouts
Old 03-29-2019, 06:44 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Disaster prevention kit is snake oil-skip it. No need for a low pressure fuel system, stock can handle 750hp easy. Go for 15+ as they have a better turbo and larger hpfp
Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 PM
General
Member's Gallery

My 12 got better mpg than the 15 i have now but the new tunes i have with 2nd gear lock up flat out hauls ass! Prior to that, it felt like my 12 ran better. Not now though. What junky said about maintenance intervals is spot on though.

live life full throttle
Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I sure like my TSD tunes on ez...trans shifting is perfect!
Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Disaster prevention kit is snake oil-skip it. No need for a low pressure fuel system, stock can handle 750hp easy. Go for 15+ as they have a better turbo and larger hpfp
Out of curiosity, because I like the multitude of posts I've seen from ya, why are you not a fan of the DPK? I like it for bang-for-buck assurance, but I have wondered how needed it really is/ what're the chances of getting diesel bad enough to shell out the pump and ruin your fuel system...my understanding & thoughts... but I'm curious to read your opinion, might adjust mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlocker View Post
My 12 got better mpg than the 15 i have now but the new tunes i have with 2nd gear lock up flat out hauls ass! Prior to that, it felt like my 12 ran better. Not now though. What junky said about maintenance intervals is spot on though.

live life full throttle
Thanks man, I'm glad to know you approve of those intervals *no smart arse*... same about the posts. I agree with the 2nd gear TC lockup. G D P has several toons with that option and I'm a fan. I also really like their multiple stages of trans toons/ gear holding and line pressure increasing (not familiar with the other toons mentioned). Out of curiosity, did you have different gears in your 12 vs your 15? I think that may have something to do with the change in turbos. *always learning* My daggon 19 is considerably better stock than my 14 was stock (same 3.55s)... shocker ...really itching to get it tooned.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck View Post
I sure like my TSD tunes on ez...trans shifting is perfect!
Gave your post a lil more thought...
1. I guess it doesn't * tunes. I'll start spelling it right.
2. What year is your truck? I had a little bit of a lag at shift points with G D P. It's just that it didn't quite maintain aggressiveness throughout... almost like it was giving the trans a breath to grab the next gear... not annoying really, just noticeable, on my 14. But, I had a badly kinked C C V hose (excessive crankcase pressure and turbo back pressure, learned the hard way ). I wonder if that had anything to do with it... should probably ask G D P. For the OP's decision making, do you experience that with your tunes? What about lincolnlocker and sootie?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Dpk is only good if the failure is on the cam side of the pump which may account for more than half of the failures but certainly not all. Besides, if the lack of lubricity was enough to kill the pump, what do you think it's doing to the injectors? Sure it might keep metal out if them but it's not just metal that kills them!
Old 03-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Dpk is only good if the failure is on the cam side of the pump which may account for more than half of the failures but certainly not all. Besides, if the lack of lubricity was enough to kill the pump, what do you think it's doing to the injectors? Sure it might keep metal out if them but it's not just metal that kills them!
Gotchya, I'll be running an Air D o g II 4G as well. My main concern was contamination, which is why the after market lift pump, that and purer fuel. My thought was basically $1k or so to avoid, from what I've been told, $12k potential damage... just as an added safety net, in combo with the lift pump
Old 03-30-2019, 09:05 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDJunky View Post
Gotchya, I'll be running an Air D o g II 4G as well. My main concern was contamination, which is why the after market lift pump, that and purer fuel. My thought was basically $1k or so to avoid, from what I've been told, $12k potential damage... just as an added safety net, in combo with the lift pump
Why reduce reliability with a Fass or air dog?????

Be money and reliability ahead to install an advanced filtration system in line, while keeping the factory pump. Far less likely to get stranded and you don't have to hack up OEM stuff. For example the diesel site setup....
Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Why reduce reliability with a Fass or air dog?????

Be money and reliability ahead to install an advanced filtration system in line, while keeping the factory pump. Far less likely to get stranded and you don't have to hack up OEM stuff. For example the diesel site setup....
Hmmm, okay, I'll check it out, thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Hmmm, okay, I'll check it out, thanks
I think co04cobra on here is selling one...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
04 cclb IDP and TSD tunes, KC Stage 2 hi pressure, S476 atmosphere, Odawg Stage 2 ported intake, RCD Stage 1 cam, RCD lifters and pushrods, RCD 120# valve springs, ARP 625s, o ringed heads, Warren 7mm 250/100 hybrids, Strictly bowl dereete regulated return, Air Dog 2 4g, Snow stage 2 water/meth
Old 03-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0 Tech View Post
I think co04cobra on here is selling one...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Roger that
Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Default Getting a 6.7, what to do first?

Quote:
Gave your post a lil more thought...
1. I guess it doesn't * tunes. I'll start spelling it right.
2. What year is your truck? I had a little bit of a lag at shift points with G D P. It's just that it didn't quite maintain aggressiveness throughout... almost like it was giving the trans a breath to grab the next gear... not annoying really, just noticeable, on my 14. But, I had a badly kinked C C V hose (excessive crankcase pressure and turbo back pressure, learned the hard way ). I wonder if that had anything to do with it... should probably ask G D P. For the OP's decision making, do you experience that with your tunes? What about lincolnlocker and sootie?

I honestly havenít noticed a difference at all between how the trans acted when stock. It seriously shifts dead on every time. No flaring, no lagging, just perfect shifting even when you bury it to the floor. Plenty of power, but the main reason I went with them was the trans shifting. Mines a 15 btw.

I too am about to add a dieselsites filter. Iím adding a fuel box aux tank/toolbox combo and will be getting diesel from oilfield locations. Hey..free diesel for the next few years should pay for all this stuff. Lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I second the TSD tunes. Mine was dyno tuned with them and Chris made some adjustments because I have a full Suncoast built 750+ transmission. As for fuel filtration I have the factory lift pump supporting just over 575hp at the wheels with 237,000 trouble free fuel system miles. I'm with Sootie on the stock fuel being pretty darn good.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I honestly havenít noticed a difference at all between how the trans acted when stock. It seriously shifts dead on every time. No flaring, no lagging, just perfect shifting even when you bury it to the floor. Plenty of power, but the main reason I went with them was the trans shifting. Mines a 15 btw.

I too am about to add a dieselsites filter. Iím adding a fuel box aux tank/toolbox combo and will be getting diesel from oilfield locations. Hey..free diesel for the next few years should pay for all this stuff. Lol.
Right on... I checked on the dieselsite system & it looks like I'll have to call and see if they have one for 19 trucks yet. That diesel setup is awesome though, clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I second the TSD tunes. Mine was dyno tuned with them and Chris made some adjustments because I have a full Suncoast built 750+ transmission. As for fuel filtration I have the factory lift pump supporting just over 575hp at the wheels with 237,000 trouble free fuel system miles. I'm with Sootie on the stock fuel being pretty darn good.
Sounds good about OEM lift pump & the hint of what you're running.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Wait, these things are making 575 on basic tunes/exhaust? Stock fuel and air?
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyStock62 View Post
Wait, these things are making 575 on basic tunes/exhaust? Stock fuel and air?
The guy you quoted has a non-vgt, but yes. 15+ trucks make around 580 at the wheels tune only. 11-14 trucks are around 500 tune only
Old 04-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Wow thats impressive. I like it. Anyone have a company they like/recommend to order this stuff through?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Wow thats impressive. I like it. Anyone have a company they like/recommend to order this stuff through?
Rudy's, CDT... probably mainly cause I have a good friend at Rudy's & CDT is about 30 min from my house
Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Jared at Midwest Diesel and Auto
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM
General
Member's Gallery

No limit fab.. mikey usually makes deals to good to pass up.

live life full throttle
Old 04-30-2019, 02:44 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

So I put money down on a 2015 6.7 down in texas, flying out Friday to drive it back. Now, are all the 2015s the updated engine? Curious because its a earlyish 2014 build, but by the vin its a 2015.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
So I put money down on a 2015 6.7 down in texas, flying out Friday to drive it back. Now, are all the 2015s the updated engine? Curious because its a earlyish 2014 build, but by the vin its a 2015.
Yes. Updated turbo setup and hpfp that is...

Engine changes came 17 model job 2
Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Ok sweet, I just wanted to make sure it had the updates over the early years. I put some down on it, and then saw the build date and had a o **** moment.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

The 15+ is all fine and dandy and everyone loves to point out the better turbo and pump but they almost always forget to mention the reduced clutch count in the trans.
Ezlynk 2, Fox 2.0 resis, Pmf Fox 2.0 DSS, OUO ALA, OUO spring thing, OUO traction blocks & bars, AL 5000 ultimate + wireless one, AMP steps, Retrofitted Projectors, Midwest built long block, Midwest compounds 66mmVgt PTE 86mm, H&S dual fuelers with RCD 60% iinjectors, Midwest competition 6r140, EE Billet faceplate, Suncoast quaddisc
Old 05-07-2019, 07:02 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
The 15+ is all fine and dandy and everyone loves to point out the better turbo and pump but they almost always forget to mention the reduced clutch count in the trans.
Yep, true!

live life full throttle
Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Where is everyone mounting their EZ Lynk? Also the SOTF switch, they dont tell you where in the 5 pin plug the two wires go, or where the plug even goes. Anyone have some insight on that? And a place to stick that sucker too.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

My EZ Lynk is tucked under the dash and zip tied up. My switch is also tucked under, I don't change the power level at all.

2013 F350 CC/LB - MPD 64.5, MPD Piping Kit, EZ-Lynk, Leveled, Fuel's
Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Where is everyone mounting their EZ Lynk? Also the SOTF switch, they dont tell you where in the 5 pin plug the two wires go, or where the plug even goes. Anyone have some insight on that? And a place to stick that sucker too.

Mine is in the little useless black compartment thatís by your right knee. I rarely change it either. Just leave it on 4
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Mine is in the little useless black compartment thatís by your right knee. I rarely change it either. Just leave it on 4
Same place as mine!

live life full throttle
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Have there been a lot of trans issues in the 15-16 trucks vs the 11-14? Only asking as this is the first Iíve heard of it..
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Yes
Ezlynk 2, Fox 2.0 resis, Pmf Fox 2.0 DSS, OUO ALA, OUO spring thing, OUO traction blocks & bars, AL 5000 ultimate + wireless one, AMP steps, Retrofitted Projectors, Midwest built long block, Midwest compounds 66mmVgt PTE 86mm, H&S dual fuelers with RCD 60% iinjectors, Midwest competition 6r140, EE Billet faceplate, Suncoast quaddisc
Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J98 View Post
Have there been a lot of trans issues in the 15-16 trucks vs the 11-14? Only asking as this is the first Iíve heard of it..

Depends I guess...

Some people on here beat the piss out of there trucks with no issues (Jomax). I havenít heard of many having issues on here.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Some people on here beat the piss out of there trucks with no issues (Jomax). I haven’t heard of many having issues on here.

Could it be that the torque convertor was improved over the 11-14 trucks? That's a point no one has ever been able to discuss, or just want to forget. I'd say the clutch count is a mute point since it's like 1-plate in one area and 1-plate in another area. It's not like the plate count difference between a gasser motor transmission and a diesel transmission.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Could it be that the torque convertor was improved over the 11-14 trucks? That's a point no one has ever been able to discuss, or just want to forget. I'd say the clutch count is a mute point since it's like 1-plate in one area and 1-plate in another area. It's not like the plate count difference between a gasser motor transmission and a diesel transmission.
Are you aware of a difference in the tc's?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Yea....that's why I brought it up. Not to mention it's been addressed/asked in the past but usually followed by crickets which tells me people just don't know.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

The 15+ absolutely show their weakness at 600rwhp, in regards to the trans, most commonly the 4-5 and 5-6 shift
Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

The converters are different, but how would that affect an inability for the forward clutches to hold power? The converter isn't slipping it's the clutches.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Okay...so help me understand how the clutch plate break out between the Forward Clutch and Direct Clutch cause that problem since those are the only areas that have less(1 less Friction and 1 less Separator plate in each clutch to be exact) plates between the 11-14 trans and 15+ trans.

I'm not saying it's the convertor as the source of the issue...there's more parts causing the shifting then just those plates alone.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
The 15+ absolutely show their weakness at 600rwhp, in regards to the trans, most commonly the 4-5 and 5-6 shift

So stay on the lower side of 600rwhp and your ok??
Old 05-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Okay...so help me understand how the clutch plate break out between the Forward Clutch and Direct Clutch cause that problem since those are the only areas that have less(1 less Friction and 1 less Separator plate in each clutch to be exact) plates between the 11-14 trans and 15+ trans.

I'm not saying it's the convertor as the source of the issue...there's more parts causing the shifting then just those plates alone.
You answered your own question. One less friction.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
A 11-14 isn’t close to 600 rwhp (tuned only) and that’s where a large majority of owners stop with performance mods... could also play into why there’s been more of ‘15-16 casualties

Last edited by J98; 05-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:50 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:

Which shouldnít matter. My truck had 128k of race tune abused when I traded it in. Iíd still rock the 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
So stay on the lower side of 600rwhp and your ok??
It's rared it's head as low as 530-550. They're just weaker.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

What cold air intake to go with for this? Has a K&N right now, stick with that or get a no limit or something? Got the EZ Lynk with TSD tunes. Seems like I really have to get into the throttle go get to the power/boost, but it moves out good once it hits. I would imagine thats just something to get used to over my 6.0. Other than that, got the exhaust and all the ******s done. Love the thing so far!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
What cold air intake to go with for this? Has a K&N right now, stick with that or get a no limit or something? Got the EZ Lynk with TSD tunes. Seems like I really have to get into the throttle go get to the power/boost, but it moves out good once it hits. I would imagine thats just something to get used to over my 6.0. Other than that, got the exhaust and all the ******s done. Love the thing so far!
Throw the k&n out ASAP. I would go with a no limit personally
Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Sounds good, figured that was going to be the case.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I have the same exact setup and mines spools pretty quick. Have plenty of low end power, only notice power drop off on top end when cruising 80-85 and going to pass someone. Itís there I just want more. Lol.

Could definitely tell a difference when I put the No Limit on.

Also do your cold side pipe if you havenít already. H&S ftw!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I have the same exact setup and mines spools pretty quick. Have plenty of low end power, only notice power drop off on top end when cruising 80-85 and going to pass someone. Itís there I just want more. Lol.

Could definitely tell a difference when I put the No Limit on.

Also do your cold side pipe if you havenít already. H&S ftw!
Got the no limit intake on its way, hopefully that helps my kinda strange low end power issue. If not, im sure its just something different than my old truck I have to get used to. What TSD tune are you running? I have to wire in my shift on the fly switch yet, but have one of their tunes loaded. Havent tried any others yet.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Got the no limit intake on its way, hopefully that helps my kinda strange low end power issue. If not, im sure its just something different than my old truck I have to get used to. What TSD tune are you running? I have to wire in my shift on the fly switch yet, but have one of their tunes loaded. Havent tried any others yet.

Honestly not sure as the shop loaded it. Could be because the switch isnít installed. I normally run in setting 4. Had to switch to 1 yesterday cause it was raining and my ass end kept breaking loose under normal driving.