6.0 Airdog 2 165 down!

Derkperk

Reaction score
So I know there has been a lot of issues in the past with the Airdog pumps but I’ve had a great experience until this last weekend.

I installed the pump almost 7 years and 40k miles ago. Friday was the first day I took the truck out after winter and when I got home I smelt an odd electric smell but it quickly dissipated. Fired the truck up Saturday morning to go turkey hunting and made it maybe a mile down the road and my fuel pressure bombed hard. Turned around and idled her home. Crawled under the truck later to find a pump leaking and covered in fuel soaked dirt. I’ve got an email into Airdog, so we’ll see what the response is.

Anyone have anything positive to say to keep my spirits up???

2e93451f057fa89edd5eec993e8125b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Retro fit a 6.7 hfcm in there. Hard to beat OEM reliability for 150 bucks...

Derkperk

Reaction score
From my quick search it looks like quite the project to get the fuel lines to size up correctly to the 6.7 HFCM. Also, can find one anywhere near $150. If AD leaves me out to dry, I’ll dig deeper into it.

Bryce_fow

Reaction score
They will warranty it but you have to pay shipping well that’s what they made me do did that three or four times

Derkperk

Reaction score
Update. So talked with Airdog this morning and they are sending me a new pump, no charge. I’m going to go this way for now. If I get another 7 years out of it, I’ll be happy.

I do like the reliability and part availability of a stock 6.7 pump so thanks for the tips there. It will be in my future plans if this AD doesn’t work out long term.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I just got a new 4G pump to replace my second failed pump. The first two were the first generation pumps which were known to be problematic. New pump is WAY quieter and hold pressure better than before. I don't have any miles on it yet, but the new 4G seems to be much more reliable.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I just got a new 4G pump to replace my second failed pump. The first two were the first generation pumps which were known to be problematic. New pump is WAY quieter and hold pressure better than before. I don't have any miles on it yet, but the new 4G seems to be much more reliable.

I saw something about the G4 online but forgot to ask what pump they were sending out. I’m guessing that’s the new standard. I’ll update when it shows up.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
You'll get the new pump. With all the issues they had with previous generation(s), they wouldn't ship one if you asked!

It will just come in as a pump head. The filter base stays there, and you just need to unbolt the top pump part. Quick and easy job. I'd just recommend clamping off the fuel supply line, otherwise you will have diesel fuel EVERYWHERE!

Derkperk

Reaction score
Yeah I figured a clamp was necessary as I have a sump installed. I can’t remember and maybe you can clue me in as you just did yours. Are the connections on the pump threaded or push loc style?

I’m going to need some serious brake cleaner to clean that thing up before I open up that system.

Derkperk

Reaction score
Update: The new 4G pump showed up in 3 days and was able to tackle the replacement on Saturday. I completely removed the pump assembly to clean it up and noticed the mounting bracket was rubbing on the cab. That was likely contributing to the excessive noise I was hearing from the pump.

I welded on a chunk of angle to the existing bracket and was able to bolt the bracket to the bottom of the frame for a cleaner install than that stupid sandwich bracket they include. Got everything degreased and painted up. The new pump bolted right up and was glad I did it on the bench. Spun on some new Napa filters and was good to go.

Unfortunately the old pump blew the fuse and I forgot there was an in-line 20a in the AD harness so that took me a bit to figure out. Once the pump was powered it purged effortlessly and the truck fired right up. Super impressed at how quiet the new G4 pump is. Put a few miles on the truck and it seems to perform flawlessly.

Thanks for the info fellas!

Latest posts

Members online