2006, crank, no start

Diesel625

Reaction score
Early this year, sometime in January, my 06 started giving me problems. It wouldn’t start, so after some testing I bought the parts I needed and fixed it. It has been running with no issues since then. I was grossing around 22k pulling up a hill when I noticed I had no boost. I pulled over, and the truck would not start. Checked icp, and the highest it would go was 32 psi. Checked the iPr duty cycle, and it’s 7.4 KOEO, and 42.1 while cranking. When I had previously worked on the truck, I replaced the stc fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes, iPr valve, icp sensor, injectors, ebp sensor and tube, valve cover gaskets, and hpop cover seal. All parts were motorcraft. My problem then was a blown oring on the passenger standpipe. The truck has been running excellent until now. After the repair, the truck idled after warm around 580-600 psi, and would hit 3600-3800 on a hard run. Just last week, I saw it reach 4080 psi on the mpd tune. I’m thinking my iPr valve may be giving me the issues. Tomorrow, I’m opening the oil filter bowl to check low oil pressure, then I’ll go from there. Aren’t the values for the iPr supposed to be higher in those conditions?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
32 psi icp sounds like a blown out injector top o ring. Id air test it, bet its got a massive leak.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Diesel625

Reaction score
I’m going to try and make time to air test it today. I hope it’s something that simple.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I stopped at the local auto parts store and got me a m12x1.5 adapter to 1/4”npt and applied air to the icp port. It held pressure for a few seconds until it ran the oil out the leak. I can here it faintly through the oil filler neck. It sounds louder on the driver side. I’ll find out tomorrow when I remove the air filter from the turbo. I really don’t have time to make repairs right now, so I’m thinking of sending it to get repaired, studded, lifters, and either 155/30 or 175/30 injectors.

Zeb

Reaction score
There is no point in spending the money for 30% nozzles on a 155. 175/30’s with mild tuning work fine with a stock turbo, and with a good turbo and hot tuning they are capable of a little over 500hp.

Diesel625

Reaction score
Finally had a little free time to look into my leak on the old 6.0. I broke down the driver side valve cover and put air through the icp port. Definitely heard the leak in that side. I could find it immediately, so I took out the stand pipe, the pulled the oil rail. Everything there looked good, so I went ahead and pulled the 2nd half of the stand pipe. Print on bottom was good too. I plugged off the lower piece of the stand pipe, and put air to the system again. I can hear the leak below the stand pipe. Does it sound like the branch tube? Any suggestions?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Chances are its back at the stc then, or transferring over from the other side. Pull the air box, and see how much is coming out the breather.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I did. That’s the side I was working on. I guess I could move over to the passenger side next. If I don’t find it there, I can pull the turbo so I can get to the hpop. Being that I updated all the fittings with motorcraft parts the last go around, I thought I’d be good. Maybe I’ll have a minute to check it out over the weekend.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I did. That’s the side I was working on. I guess I could move over to the passenger side next. If I don’t find it there, I can pull the turbo so I can get to the hpop. Being that I updated all the fittings with motorcraft parts the last go around, I thought I’d be good. Maybe I’ll have a minute to check it out over the weekend.
**** sorry, thought I read passenger side. Most leaks are on the passenger side, id say 75-80% ive done have been on the passenger side. So, id look over there. Does it look like its got smoke coming out the fill tube when youre air testing?

Diesel625

Reaction score
Maybe a very slight vapor from the oil I’m assuming. I tore down the driver side first because it initially sounded louder on that side through the crank case vent tube, but you could hear it on the passenger side through the fill tube as well. When I worked on it during the beginning of the year, both stand pipe orings were bad. Hopefully I’ll find the problem on the passenger side.

bismic

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but have you pulled and tested the IPR valve?

Last edited:

bismic

Reaction score
the % duty cycle is a commanded value. It does not represent a valve opening. It could have some trash in it.

Diesel625

Reaction score
It’s possible, but I can hear the air leak pretty clearly. It has to be a large leak if it will only build 8 psi. I’m hoping it’s the standpipe, or something easy on the passenger side. When I’ve done the same work before, on other trucks, I’ve only seen the iPr bad when it shot straight to 85% if I remember the number correctly.

bismic

Reaction score
When the IPR valve is stuck open due to trash, then you will hear an air leak. IMO, it IS an air leak.

Again - "shooting to 85%" as you put it is SIMPLY due to the actual high pressure oil pressure not being able to reach the desired pressure. It can be due to a bad HPOP, failed STC fitting, or even a stuck open IPR valve. A high IPR % duty cycle command in itself doesn't reliably point to a specific problem.

Best of luck, please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Diesel625

Reaction score
Finally have an update. I’ve been busy enjoying my new 2019 F350 dually, so fixing the old truck isn’t a priority. I did have a chance today to install new stand pipes and dummy plugs, new valve cover gaskets while I was in there, and check the injector orings. I still didn’t find the air leak, so as time allows I’ll pull the turbo and check the stc fitting. It already has an updated oem fitting. I will also check the hpop. I’m hoping it’s the stc fitting and not the branch tubes. I’m missing my old truck.

Latest posts

Members online