2018 F250 oil leak

t3chi3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought this new in '19 and it only has 5000 miles. I have ******d this truck, which makes this tricky. I have GDP tunes, 5" exhaust and airbox. I rarely push the truck and just drive it around town really.

The leak went from small spots in the driveway to noticable puddling.

I think this is the upper oil pan and this is why. I have a sloping driveway, when I park frontways into it the truck leaks badly. When I park backed in it barely leaks at all. This tells me that there is a problem with the silicon sealant at the back of the pan, supposedly a common problem.

I brought it to one dealer recommended by a friend and they would not touch it "because of the mods", but they did confirm it looks like the upper oil pan. I don't see how tunes can possibly effect the oil pan, is it possible?

When I bring it to the dealer I bought it from next week I'm just going to say, please fix it under warranty, when you drop the tranny and open the pan you will see the silicon missing, if not, I'm open to discussion.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

StrokedKR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought this new in '19 and it only has 5000 miles. I have ******d this truck, which makes this tricky. I have GDP tunes, 5" exhaust and airbox. I rarely push the truck and just drive it around town really.

The leak went from small spots in the driveway to noticable puddling.

I think this is the upper oil pan and this is why. I have a sloping driveway, when I park frontways into it the truck leaks badly. When I park backed in it barely leaks at all. This tells me that there is a problem with the silicon sealant at the back of the pan, supposedly a common problem.

I brought it to one dealer recommended by a friend and they would not touch it "because of the mods", but they did confirm it looks like the upper oil pan. I don't see how tunes can possibly effect the oil pan, is it possible?

When I bring it to the dealer I bought it from next week I'm just going to say, please fix it under warranty, when you drop the tranny and open the pan you will see the silicon missing, if not, I'm open to discussion.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
If it is leaking from the front pulley area, it may be loose vacuum pump bolts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

t3chi3

Reaction score
I don't think it is. I looked and couldn't see anything around there.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Weve done a ton of upper oil pans, thats probably what it is. The ******s shouldnt have anything to do with leaks, and should be covered. But that decision is all up to the dealer.
Ive dealt with a ton of customers with modified trucks. And honestly, it all depends on how they come in. If youre a dick, I'm gonna **** you hard. If youre cool about it, understand everything thats going on, and arent a pushy ass hat, typically well take care of you.
Just keep that in mind when dealing with the service writer, as hes the guy you will be dealing directly with, not the tech, and take care of both of them, maybe a case of beer or something, and they should have no issues with it.
End of the day, warranty is a guaranteed pay check, and youre obviously not willing to pay the probably 2k for something that should be free for ya.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

t3chi3

Reaction score
Weve done a ton of upper oil pans, thats probably what it is. The ******s shouldnt have anything to do with leaks, and should be covered. But that decision is all up to the dealer.
Ive dealt with a ton of customers with modified trucks. And honestly, it all depends on how they come in. If youre a dick, I'm gonna **** you hard. If youre cool about it, understand everything thats going on, and arent a pushy ass hat, typically well take care of you.
Just keep that in mind when dealing with the service writer, as hes the guy you will be dealing directly with, not the tech, and take care of both of them, maybe a case of beer or something, and they should have no issues with it.
End of the day, warranty is a guaranteed pay check, and youre obviously not willing to pay the probably 2k for something that should be free for ya.

Hey, I really appreciate the response. I was very nice and polite, they had an air of hostility/coldness that made me uncomfortable because of my mods. Even so, I thanked them for taking a look. This kind of thing doesn't fly well in the Northeast...

I like the case of beer idea! Thanks.

t3chi3

Reaction score
@6.0 Tech

We were planning on a 2.5 hour trip this weekend. Do these kinds of leaks typically get worse and worse, like could it strand me? Thanks.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
@6.0 Tech

We were planning on a 2.5 hour trip this weekend. Do these kinds of leaks typically get worse and worse, like could it strand me? Thanks.
Na you should be alright.

t3chi3

Reaction score
I brought it in this morning. Again the tech at this dealership was gruff and didn't want to hear about anything, I just played it cool and friendly. He did say that as long as the modifications didn't cause the problem they will take care of it so I'm hopeful.

We went camping in the Catskills this past weekend and it broke my heart to leave my truck behind, it seemed that everyone had a modded diesel up there and lots of them don't even run mufflers, they sound like a train pulling off when they hit the highway, beautiful. 2 hours away and everything is completely different than central NJ and diesel shops were everywhere up there!

t3chi3

Reaction score
they want me to pick up the truck and drive it around more, "they can't find the leak" :(

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That sucks. I hate people who do **** like that. Should be fairly obvious, as there aint a ton of spots on these that leak too often.

t3chi3

Reaction score
That sucks. I hate people who do **** like that. Should be fairly obvious, as there aint a ton of spots on these that leak too often.

Unfortunately the world is full of half assed people in all walks of life. I'm on a semi-friendly basis with the service writer so I'm going to follow their instructions and play it their way. I checked what bolts I can reach on the vacuum pump and they are all tight, I can clearly see oil puddling around the upper pan bolts, I know that's what it is.

t3chi3

Reaction score
Hmm. dealer is being cool and supposedly fixed the leak, timing cover?

Apparently they are running it and it is no longer leaking, first time they've seen this sort of leak. Could this happen with an overboost condition?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No we see quite a few front cover leaks. Probably 1 to every 5-10 upper oil pans. So that comes to about 1 every month or two. Actually got one at the shop right now I'm working on.

t3chi3

Reaction score
No we see quite a few front cover leaks. Probably 1 to every 5-10 upper oil pans. So that comes to about 1 every month or two. Actually got one at the shop right now I'm working on.

Thanks for that.

Is this caused by a defect in manufacturing? Improper torque etc?

t3chi3

Reaction score
@6.0 Tech

Actually I was misinformed. It was the crankshaft seal! They said it was the first time that they had seen one of these go bad. They are covering it and I'm gong to take good care of them for it.

What are the chances my tune could have caused this do you think?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'll give you front crank seals are rare. I think the only ones ive seen have been installed incorrectly by other people. Unless the crank is walking due to too much power, or failing bearings, I doubt the tune has anything to do with it. Glad they took care of you though.

Latest posts

Members online