Reoccurring Cracked oil reservoir

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
Just gonna give a quick run down of my truck first.
I just rebuilt my motor, I did head studs, comp 910 valve springs and shimmed them, heavier push rods, running a t-4 mount with S-468 charger, adrenaline hpop, 250/200 injectors, swamps tunes, new fuel lines with fass competitions fuel pump.

Problem I’ve been having is that the oil reservoir has cracked for the second time. Both in the same spot and both on initial start up. Less than 1,000 miles between intervals. It is cracking just above the seam, through one of the bolt holes where the fuel bowl would mount up.

Completely baffled as to what is causing this as the truck runs great otherwise, any and all insight would be helpful.. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
The rubber oring tipe, there are 2 (or maybe 3?) Different types. Based on year and if they have a screen.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The 94-97 didn’t have a screen. The 99-03 did. And had two different front timing covers.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
I’ll look into it more, I just replaced the existing gasket it, it didn’t have the screen filter in there. So I put exactly the same one back in. I’ll have to figure out what cover I have. All been great help though. Thanks

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
If I need the filtered gasket, and I’m running the non filtered gasket.. that will cause it to crack though huh?

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
How do I tell what from cover I have so I know what gasket I’m needing, any easy way to tell?

Petro

Reaction score
If I need the filtered gasket, and I’m running the non filtered gasket.. that will cause it to crack though huh?

No, I don't believe so. As far as i know, the only gasket that can cause cracks if installed into the wrong reservoir, is the fiiltered screen gasket. The others shouldnt be capable of that, and if they are then something should be very obviously wrong when you look at it. Im betting you have a different problem, because trying to install the wrong gasket under the reservoir is hard because it should be very apparent that something isn't right, especially after youve had it apart a couple times.

Last edited:

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering I did figure out this issue awhile ago..

It had nothing to do with the oil reservoir gasket as I had the correct one in and almost impossible to put the wrong one in in my opinion.

Reason for all my problems was that the oil pressure relief valve was stuck closed sending over pressurized oil to my reservoir on start up enough to crack the reservoir.

Was blowing out the oil filter o-ring when temps got colder and on start up as well.
That’s when I came to the conclusion I was having an over pressurization of my oil on the low side.

Easy fix, but really gave me a run around trying to figure it out. That and a lot of waisted oil.

Latest posts

Members online