Front wheel bearing seized

ghohouston

Reaction score
Guys, on my 97 4x4, the front passenger side wheel bearing seized up while driving, and the but is also seized. Due to the depth of the hub, I really cant get a torch in there to cut the nut off, or anything like a punch/chisel. Axle nut socket just ends up coming off (stripping/ beginning to round the nut off). Anyone have any bright ideas, or am I stuck cutting the hub off? I've never had one of these front axles apart.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Was hoping to. I was trying to hold off on the 05 axle swap for a bit, but seems like I might end up spending enough time and money on this, that the swap might just be worth it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Was hoping to. I was trying to hold off on the 05 axle swap for a bit, but seems like I might end up spending enough time and money on this, that the swap might just be worth it.

Let me know if you end up going that route. I have an entire front frame clip from a 2010 F350 I’m getting rid of.

Strokersace

Reaction score
When are you coming to Texas next? Would you want to take partial trade for this Dana 60?

Probably not until the 1st weekend in February.

Wouldn’t have a use for the obs D60, sorry.

I do not have the rear axle but my buddy does. If I remember correctly the axle tube rotated in the 3rd member slightly. He was going to build a trailer out of it so I gave it to him. If he hasn’t used it, I could probably get it back and include with the front end.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
if it were me i would probably cut the hub off and then try to get the bearing off. If the bearing is loose that is bad, but if it welded to the spindle there is still hope that you can chip it off and then polish the spindle out and make the repair. There are places that will do mobile welding and machining to repair the spindle, or you can replace it.. your call really but its fixable no matter what.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The bearing is very lose, probably at least 1/2" of in and out play.l, so no question it is trashed. I'm definitely going to try and see what I can do. I know I'm a good enough welder for that to hold up, but the machine part, I have no way to do properly. And then my guess would be someone wouldn't want to machine what they did not weld. This is a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing it seems.

Ryan, what kinda money do you want for the front axle? And rear as well, if obtainable? 3:73's are what I want for this truck as well. I fully know it's "fixable", but after I pay a machinist, and possibly welder, and then buy bearings, etc. Will it really be cheaper than the swap?

Strokersace

Reaction score
The bearing is very lose, probably at least 1/2" of in and out play.l, so no question it is trashed. I'm definitely going to try and see what I can do. I know I'm a good enough welder for that to hold up, but the machine part, I have no way to do properly. And then my guess would be someone wouldn't want to machine what they did not weld. This is a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing it seems.

Ryan, what kinda money do you want for the front axle? And rear as well, if obtainable? 3:73's are what I want for this truck as well. I fully know it's "fixable", but after I pay a machinist, and possibly welder, and then buy bearings, etc. Will it really be cheaper than the swap?

Sent you a pm

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sounds like you need more meat on your bones and push harder on the socket. Lol..

Put the heat to the nut..it will come off..

Even if you need to use a welding tip on the fire wrench. That or cut the ball joints out and take the entire hub to a shop.

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
Sounds like you need more meat on your bones and push harder on the socket. Lol..

Put the heat to the nut..it will come off..

Even if you need to use a welding tip on the fire wrench. That or cut the ball joints out and take the entire hub to a shop.

live life full throttle

Lmao, I used a 36" 1/2" drive ratchet, and it ended up rounding the 1/2" input of the soft ass socket out, so i then welded a 1 1/4" nut on the socket, and now the socket just spins off of the nut after probably 100 ft/lbs.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Lmao, I used a 36" 1/2" drive ratchet, and it ended up rounding the 1/2" input of the soft ass socket out, so i then welded a 1 1/4" nut on the socket, and now the socket just spins off of the nut after probably 100 ft/lbs.
Oh wow.

Id heat the nut only with a oxy fuel welding tip

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.