6.0 trans problems?

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
I have a 04 6.0 and have had some issues lately that I'm having a hard time figuring out. Truck runs great, shifts good with no 3-5 flare but once in 6th it shakes horribly. I thought this was was in injector issue seeing as I just upgraded to a set of holders 190/30s but after running a power balance test I feel comfortable saying it's not an injector. So here's my issue, during the power balance test it threw a code for the direct solenoid stuck/ sticking, I pulled the pan and replaced the epc and direct solenoids as well as the plastic pressure switches with metal o- ringed ones. There wasn't any excessive clutch material in the pan but ther fluid did smell a little burnt. The problem only shows up when the converter locks so im stuck wondering if it actually is an issue with the direct clutch or if the converter is just going out on me.

Zeb

Reaction score
So it shakes all the time in 6th, or only at low(er) rpm with the converter lock and load on the engine?

Is it a shudder, or more of an evenly spaced “miss”?

Does it do it only in 6th, or will it do it in any gear that the converter is locked?

On the injectors, new spool valves and solenoids, or rebuild from unknown age spool valves and solenoids?

I’m asking all these questions because I highly doubt it’s a torque converter issue.

A weak injector solenoid or badly worn spool valve can cause a steady jerk, jerk, jerk type miss at low speeds when the converter is locked and you are applying throttle.
That same issue rarely shows up at idle on a contribution test, and is barely noticeable when you are really on the throttle, or at higher rpm, with the converter unlocked.

A converter slippage issue usually manifests itself as a very pronounced, quick vibration, that doesn’t last very long, before unlocking the converter or the trans going into limp mode, more than a jerky feeling.

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
Rebuilt from my original cores, it's a pretty steady jerk jerk jerk that happens consistently throughout the rpm range. I ran the power balance under load if that makes a difference.

Zeb

Reaction score
Rebuilt from my original cores, it's a pretty steady jerk jerk jerk that happens consistently throughout the rpm range. I ran the power balance under load if that makes a difference.

I’m going to say it’s an injector issue, not a trans issue, since it does it consistently through the rpm range.

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
Even though its shaking with the converter unlocked? If I could figure out how to upload it id include a pic of the power balance graph.

Zeb

Reaction score
Even though its shaking with the converter unlocked? If I could figure out how to upload it id include a pic of the power balance graph.

It’s hard to say, but I’ve never seen a trans issue cause a steady, rhythmic jerk/miss.

But then again, I haven’t seen everything either!

Redpower

Reaction score
I had a similar issue after I put in new injectors. Pulled my hair out looking for the problem. Ended up having a pin slid up in the injector harness where it connects to the injector. Not saying that's the problem, but I overlooked something easy and it took me awhile to find it.

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
Update: drove to work this morning, it was cold, in the 30s and the truck ran fine. No issues at all until it reached operating temp then the shake started again. Also when I went to back into my parking spot at work there was a reverse delay of maybe 1-2 seconds. This has me stumped, if it was an injector issue such as a sticky spool valve wouldn't the problem get better as temps rise?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
When the trans is cold the torque converter won't lock. Once it warms up the torque converter locks and now the shaking from the engine misfire reaches you. Fix the engine problem and the trans will be fine.

Strokinbronco

Reaction score
20200128_145624.jpg power balance under load with the issue occurring. Compensation was off

Zeb

Reaction score
Update: drove to work this morning, it was cold, in the 30s and the truck ran fine. No issues at all until it reached operating temp then the shake started again. Also when I went to back into my parking spot at work there was a reverse delay of maybe 1-2 seconds. This has me stumped, if it was an injector issue such as a sticky spool valve wouldn't the problem get better as temps rise?

It’s not a spoolvalve issue, it’s a weak solenoid. When the solenoid is heat soaked it is weaker.

View attachment 51609 power balance under load with the issue occurring. Compensation was off

I can’t read it.

Latest posts

Members online