Evans coolant?

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
Has anyone switched over to this? Where did you find a non pressurized radiator cap? Did you notice any performance difference?

Zmann

Reaction score
Stuff is crazy $$$ IDK know of anyone running it in a big system like We have

an non pressurized cap would be easy drill a hole in it ;-)

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
I used it in one of my atv engines. (I race motocross with it). Absolutely never ran hot. I always wanted to try it in something big but it costs way too much. You would cry if you happened to blow a hose or something.

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
well they big thing is with a non pressurized system, you're less likely to blow a hose. I like the fact that I can run the enging a bit hotter with no boiling. plus it's easier on the pump and such. I'm also hoping that it will slow the inevitable clogging of the new oil cooler that ill be putting on with my egr and coolant filter

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
I didnt have a vented cap. It never built up any pressure. Its kind of thick oily like stuff. Pumps should last forever. Thinking about it now, that whole engine seemed to last forever. I ran it for about 3 seasons. Started making a noise one day and I just kept running it. Swallowed a valve, jammed the piston sideways in the cylinder and busted it. That stuff smells funny too when it comes out the exhaust. :rockon:

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
That stuff flows like motor oil when cold. I don't think it flows very well thru the 6.0's small oil cooler passages.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No thanks. ELC and Distilled water your better off. Both can be bought just about anywhere. Plus, 6.0 is designed to run hot

Extended Power

Reaction score
I had that crap in my engine after the first build. (Since everything was empty with no water...
I hated it...stinks...I mean REALLY STINKS!!!

I switched to ELC on the second build. (Again...everything was emptied.)
And at $6.00 a jug, compared to the price of the Evan's...I can change coolant 2, 3, 4 even 5 times a year if I wanted...and don't have to worry about the STINK anymore.

And yeah...I just drilled a small hole in the cap to vent the system.

Atsah

Reaction score
well they big thing is with a non pressurized system, you're less likely to blow a hose. I like the fact that I can run the enging a bit hotter with no boiling. plus it's easier on the pump and such. I'm also hoping that it will slow the inevitable clogging of the new oil cooler that ill be putting on with my egr and coolant filter

Gold, ELC whatever you use, just flush it every 50K and you don't have worry about clogging the oil cooler.. 6.0's run hot, there is no changing that..

TyCorr

Reaction score
People get guff for not utilizing the search function, but when they do, you get this, resurrection of old threads. I am on the fence about coolant.

First off, regular "green" coolant. Cheap, easy to use, cheap, available EVERYWHERE, cheap, and needs changed every two years.

ELC type (chevron delo/texaco elc, zerex elc, cat elc "red", rotella elc, etc) this is coolant that doesnt need organic acid, sca's, to work properly. Extensive flushing needed to use this type. Final rinses of deionized water are needed to ready the system for the new coolant. Any info on these?

Evans waterless- @40bucks gallon its not widely used here. I just wonder if anybody uses it here? I have used it in cars like my 95gsx. People always say "you dont need that stuff" ,"it stinks", and "oh such and such runs better hot".

1. You dont need it. Water screws up lots of crap though. Rust, scale, bla bla.bla...

2. The smell isnt evans. Its residue from your old coolant evaporating. If you drill a hole in your cap it will escape in a couple months. Mine dissipated in two-three months.

3.This is invalid. The temps we use to gauge normal or hot are irrelevant when water isnt our benchmark. You neednt fear 220° fluid temps as boiling is a long ways off with waterless coolant. It would work well in engines perceived to "run better hot".

This was all to clarify somethings I know firsthand from using it. My curiosity stems from how this coolant works in a 7.3 and how it affects things like the oil cooler and sound. Im serious, is there a sound change? In my car there was. The water pump wasnt noisy anymore. Is there any detimental effects on running coolant that is ok hotter on engine oil. Like effects on hpo.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Evans stinks...
It's NOT the old coolant...if it was, don't you think you would have smelled it before?

Evans is glycol...that is why it can go to over 425*
The same type of stuff is used in dehydration towers in the oil and gas industry to "dry" the wet gas coming in from the field before it goes out the sales line.

I use the Pinnical International ELC. It's only $7.00 a jug, and if I had to dump it twice a year, it's still way cheaper then Evans.

...and I don't have to worry about where to get it, or drilling a hole in the cap to run at 0 psi, or the stink.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Evans stinks...
It's NOT the old coolant...if it was, don't you think you would have smelled it before?

Evans is glycol...that is why it can go to over 425*
The same type of stuff is used in dehydration towers in the oil and gas industry to "dry" the wet gas coming in from the field before it goes out the sales line.

I use the Pinnical International ELC. It's only $7.00 a jug, and if I had to dump it twice a year, it's still way cheaper then Evans.

...and I don't have to worry about where to get it, or drilling a hole in the cap to run at 0 psi, or the stink.

Its been years but I remember the smell going away after the residual moisure from the original coolant cooks out. I do like the point you brought up about being able to get the elc.more places. Unfortunately I cant get elc easily around here either.

The zero pressure is one of the main reasons I wanted to try the evans in my truck but maybe Ill try to find some chevron delo elc.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I asked the town maintenance guy what to do with used coolant he told me to run hot water and dump it down my drain! :eek: The treatment plant will remove the toxins and clean it. This seems wrong.

I used to mix oil and old coolant,per a shop owners directions, anx he had heater that would burn it. Im not sure if thats normal or if my 15 gal of oil/coolant didnt matter going into his 1k gal drum.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i use it,and love the stuff.

evans changed there no pressure system requirements awhile back. they want a lower psi system, because a no psi system (ie hole in the cap) will allow water back in.

you wont have temp spikes when you pound on the truck anymore, also with the waterless theory, there isnt any air bubbles at the top of the cylinder where the combustion takes place beating on the cylinder walls, causing cavitation.

its also track approved.

as far as a cap? go to your local ih dealer and buy a cap for a t444e. its a 10 pound cap.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok. Did you do anything exotic when you flushex Kyle? Any treatment to.remove.scale or iron? I admit, dont.know shti about coolant.

Latest posts

Members online