03 6.0 runs then dies down road

03strokerman

Reaction score
I have a 03 6.0 with 144,000 miles. I just put new hpop and icp and ipr on it ran great for few days then I was driving it and it would spit and sputter a couple times and then would die and wouldn't start back up for few minutes then run again and die and not start back up for awhile. Guess my next question is where do I start to try and fix it? I talked to a ford diesel tech and he said camp position sensor. Would like everyone's opinion.

snoracerx

Reaction score
I would start at a cam position sensor they are only 35.00 or so

Sent from my iPhone

G Racing

Reaction score
I would start by finding someone that can scan it and watch Icp and ipr duty cycle before I started throwing parts at it. Why did you change said parts?

03strokerman

Reaction score
Couple weeks ago it had the no start when hot and I pulled the ipr and had some stuff on end of screen so I changed pump to be safe and I changed the ipr and icp to be safe. Then few days later it started doing this problem and I couldn't figure it out so I thought I would ask for your help

Lassie

Reaction score
1. Pull codes. No start hot was most likely a HPO leak.
2. New parts does not = good parts....especially sensors!

Spend money on scan tool = save money on parts

swinky

Reaction score
The icp and ipr are brand new so i know there isnt any problems with them.

Could still be a leak. My 03 was doing the same dam thing as yours. Went ahead and got it studded and did all the dummy plugs and stand pipes and it fixed it. Ipr valve, icp sensor and hpop were not replaced!

03strokerman

Reaction score
Before I put the icp and ipr in I hooked air up to it and air tested it and nothing was leaking so that is why i went ahead and bought the icp and ipr. I will see if I can find scan gauge to borrow to monitor everything.

swinky

Reaction score
Before I put the icp and ipr in I hooked air up to it and air tested it and nothing was leaking so that is why i went ahead and bought the icp and ipr. I will see if I can find scan gauge to borrow to monitor everything.

I'd buy one man, I know money can be tight I'm an E3 in the military (don't make much) go to Autozone and buy one for $160 and put in all the xcodes for Ipr, icp, ect, eot and ficm. It's a good tool.

G Racing

Reaction score
Check the connections at the ficm. Make sure they are plugged in "listen for the snap" and make sure there aren't any bent or pushed out pins.

03strokerman

Reaction score
Ok I will check them in the morning thanks for all your help. Got it started earlier drove it for about 4 miles and it died pulling in driveway it seems like its dying when it gets warm or maybe operating temperature maybe? Ever heard of that before?

03strokerman

Reaction score
Checked ficm connections unplugged them and heard them snap in also checked voltage there I have 48 key on engine off and 48 cranking and while running has 48. Didnt see any bent or pushed out.

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
I know this is way off of what your looking for but my truck did the exact same thing once before an it ended up being I didn't have my fuel filter cap tight enough, the one on the frame rail. It had a torque spec on the cap and I lubed the O ring up good with fresh diesel and torqued it to the proper spec, prob the only person to ever do that, lol anyways it appeared to be seated perfectly and didn't drip not one single drop of diesel but it was just enough to let the tinest bit of air in the fuel system. Tightened it up about a 1/8 of a turn and fixed it. So maybe go back over all fuel connections and tighten them up just a tad more. Who know's could be something that simple like it was with mine.

03strokerman

Reaction score
Ok i will go double check my filter caps I did change the fuel filters last night so maybe what your saying is whats wrong with mine. That would be nice because it is starting to stress me out cant figure out what is wrong with it.