03 6.0 starter problems

Reaction score
120k miles and factory starter stopped engaging would just spin and not engage abendix, took it to a guy in town who rebuilds starters and was told it was toast. Bought a new Napa starter against better judgement but just couldn't swing 500.00+ on factory ford it has now been in the truck for 1 week and this morning truck was doing the same thing and starter not engaging just spinning, I might add it has 2 brand new batteries. After starter was just spinning it started slowing down until it locked up and now just the solenoid clicks. Is this just bad luck on the starter or is something else going on to cause 2 to do this.

78f100

Reaction score
It's most likely just a bad reman starter. I have had good luck with delco-remy starters and they are cheap. Make sure your feed wire is in good shape and connected tight.

renegade

Reaction score
Another suggestion when you pull the starter and NAPA tests it and finds it is bad try and talk them into a 6.4 starter, they bolt right in and crank much faster. When you have the starter out use a light and inspect the ring gear, it could have bad teeth on it. I got a used 6.4 starter (40K miles) from a used parts yard on e-bay for $50.00 and it now has a total of 120K on it and still works like new, it came with a 1 year warranty so that is also a possibility

Latest posts

Members online