04 4x4 f250 misfiring after egr delete

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
i helped a buddy do an egr delete on a 2004 f250 4x4. so this took us about 7 hrs in the drive way. he drove right into the drive way with no issues. we did the egr delete because the factory orange hose was leaking coolant. after the truck was buttoned back up, it started and it was misfiring slightly. i figured it was because the fuel lines that go from the fuel filter housing on top of the engine to each cylinder bank had been disconnected in order to get the fuel filter housing off easy and then the intake manifold off, and then the egr. so i thought maybe the misfiring was just a little bit of air in the fuel lines. well it actually got worse instead of better, i was pretty sure is was not air in the lines.

so i checked the ficm. pretty easy method by the way. at first the ficm held at 38 volts. i was told that the ficm should never drop below 46 volts, and if it did, it was a bad ficm, so i replaced it. at first it improved the misfiring, but it was still misfiring a tad. then got worse again. the batteries were at 12-13, so they are healthy. the last time that i pulled the codes, they were p0267, p0270, p0276, p0282, p0401. i also noticed that the glow plugs are activated for about 10-15sec AFTER the engine is shut off. i had not noticed that before, is that normal?

pretty much, i have no idea what could be wrong, but i surmise that it is some sort of problem extremely small. this truck of course started right away, it just misfires, and it gets really bad once the torque converter locks up, around 50 mph, and above. the only problem that i did find was that i had some how forgot to reconnect the ground wire on the last screw of the intake manifold on the driver side. of course when i installed the new ficm, it was reconnected, but that is not the root of the problem, as it is still missing, and nothing has changed after grounding it up again.

anyone else have any ideas? advise, suggestions? man, this is a tough one. and i used to think i was good because i went to school for this stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.