05' engine removal tips

slc6oh

Reaction score
Well, was gonna pay a buddy/shop to do my headgasket job, but money is not where I thought it would be, and have access to a car to get me back and forth for this week. So change of plans... while still doing everything right of corse I gotta get the ball rollin asap.

Without a lift, my options are to do the h/g's in truck, or pull the engine. Going to pull the engine so I can get at my sweaty rear main and put lifters in it (140k on the clock, just for a piece of mind)

My boss is cool enough to let me pull it all apart/put it all back together at my shop where all my tools are at so that's cool, (im a heavy on highway diesel engine mechanic) plus have an overhead crane that goes in all directions.

Buddie that use to be a powerstroke guy at a local ford dealer a few years ago is convinced that pulling the engine for even just the hg job would still be less **** than to try and do it in the truck.. He hasn't done it in a while so that's why im here for any pointers anyone that's done it can give me.

plan is:
suck the ac down
drain radiator/engine coolant
pull fan/radiator/condenser/cac
pull inner fenders
pull hood
pull turbo and oil filter housing
pull up pipes
pull ac compressor and power steering pump
pull starter
unbolt torq converter
unbolt trans
unbolt motor mounts

yank er out..

What am I missing? I mean I get its all just nuts and bolts, its just weird how its got me all intimidated. . . lol, overhaul a 25,000$ engine that's ALOT more picky about being flawlessly clean and bearing clearances are likely a lot tighter on nearly a weekly bases. I don't know why this should be that bad, but I guess its just the fear of the unknown.

any pointers are appriceated.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Fear is because it's yours. I'll jump into giving anyone else a hand or doing work son someone else's stuff, but when it comes to my own, even though I've changed injectors 3 times now I still get nervous I'm going to mess something up.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Fear is because it's yours. I'll jump into giving anyone else a hand or doing work son someone else's stuff, but when it comes to my own, even though I've changed injectors 3 times now I still get nervous I'm going to mess something up.

right. I know full well I have the ability and tools to do the job right , but still. haha

ja_cain

Reaction score
Taking stuff apart and removing is the easy part, it's putting it back in that will leave you scratching your head. Just make sure you take lots of pictures from a lot of different angles. Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Reaction score
No need to pull inner fenders. You can unbolt the AC comp and ps pump and just pull them to the side with a bungie cord or something. It makes it easier than pulling the hoses off of them. The wiring harness that runs above the turbo, just pop out the plastic retainers all along the top and pull it(black plastic loop above the turbo) up and back and zip tie it to the windshield wiper.

The rest of it looks like you're on track.

webb06

Reaction score
It might be worth taking 20 minutes to pull the turbo off just so you have that much more clearance.

On edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see you already said to remove turbo.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You also dont need to remove the starter. Iat bolts to the rear cover. Use it to turn the motor over while unbolting yhe converter. I pull the intake as well, but thats just me. I have found the best spot for the chain is across where the pedestal bolts using 2 longer bolts. That way you dont *** up the lifting brackets and make whoever has to pull valve covers next hate you.

slc6oh

Reaction score
If you decide to do it in cab text me ill give you some pointers.

id really rather not pull the engine, but really, rear main and lifters are my only reason.

I feel like would be a bit nicer to ensure heads are on with zero issues... I like building engines out of truck. not in cab. (although I know its fully doable in cab) haha just easier for me in my day to day work, even though the only reason I have to pull an engine at work is if it needs a crank...

getting up early and getting to the shop and getting after it.

p.s, joey mentioned something about a sweet ass sxe turbo for you? whats your set up gonna be?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
id really rather not pull the engine, but really, rear main and lifters are my only reason.

I feel like would be a bit nicer to ensure heads are on with zero issues... I like building engines out of truck. not in cab. (although I know its fully doable in cab) haha just easier for me in my day to day work, even though the only reason I have to pull an engine at work is if it needs a crank...

getting up early and getting to the shop and getting after it.

p.s, joey mentioned something about a sweet ass sxe turbo for you? whats your set up gonna be?

If it wrre me, and you are pulling the motor, id do the bedplate while its out, not just the rear main. Also, id replace the stc if its still the old style. The rear main probably isnt the leak though, those are not all that commn. Check for a sweating hot side cac boot at the turbo, or decent cracks in it

slc6oh

Reaction score
If it wrre me, and you are pulling the motor, id do the bedplate while its out, not just the rear main. Also, id replace the stc if its still the old style. The rear main probably isnt the leak though, those are not all that commn. Check for a sweating hot side cac boot at the turbo, or decent cracks in it

I was actually just debating that. sct is the new one. (ive had it apart twice now for oil coolers in the year ive had it)

whoever updated it, they cut the (rear cover???) for access it looked like... im flat rate, I get it. just hope it don't screw with the t4 up pipe mount... I think the pass side bolt hole that's for the rearward t4 mount isn't there... I could be wrong though.

slc dzl

Reaction score

I feel like would be a bit nicer to ensure heads are on with zero issues... I like building engines out of truck.

Well they really are not that bad to pull.
The hardest part for me is the shhmedium depth socket for the torque converter nuts, i always mean to order one but never do haha.

This new truck setup is always changing, as for now s369 with 285/100s, possibly do compounds this summer

slc6oh

Reaction score
Sweet, yea i was told by my buddy that that socket is the trick (whitch ive got t.g) then finger em out after loose.

slc6oh

Reaction score
f1b0042e11fcb8be07ceaf91d91f2912.jpg
5701abc6a634f0b2e6111b8d2c08c3b4.jpg

Well, got er out in about 6, and like 1.5 to get it on the stand lol

Ill yank the heads tomorrow, i need a beer. Or 12

Wasted a good hr ****ing with trying to get it out without pulling the core support or degas tank mount.

slc6oh

Reaction score
But . while im sure I coulda had the heads off in the same amount of time... I feel like this was less of a fight.... didn't work real hard or rushed. stood around listening to the dodge fan boys at the shop giving me **** for a while, and had a few things I was trying to work around to save time that ultimately took more time because I ended up doing what I thought I should at first. but for the most part. was pretty smooth... unbolting the motor mounts from the crossmember Im not sure if was the best way, but that's how I did it, and still had to undo the 4 bolts on the right side for the starter cable cause it was between the two parts of the motor mount. top up pipe to manifold bolt on driver side was the only of the 4 that gave me any beef and ended up just breaking it.

honestly, now that ive done it even this one time. I could say with confidence its not bad at all. The engine is heavy af. didn't pull the intake, dp, or pedestal, as well as used the factory lifting points. took a bit to get the chain where I needed it, then fought the degas bottle mount, tried bending it up some with no luck, then pulled the cowl and unbolted it. then the core support was like .5" in the way, so I pulled it and the cac. then it came right out.... really, pulling those before I even started lifting woulda saved me the better part of 2hrs.

I still expect that going back in will take 2x as long...

but then again, I wasn't sure that I would have the engine out today when I started this morning.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Awesome job man! I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to stuff like this even though I've done infinitely harder things in life. Now you got me wanting to try and pull one. I bet it's nice to have access to a nice shop like that. Btw, did you pull it with an engine hoist or one of the cranes on a truck?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

slc dzl

Reaction score
Dont let those dodge guys talk you into going crazy with the scotch disks on the engine prep haha.
Looks good man cant wait to see how your setup runs.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Dont let those dodge guys talk you into going crazy with the scotch disks on the engine prep haha.
Looks good man cant wait to see how your setup runs.

im still nervous, as its my only vehicle. but also excited. . . debating a rr now. (already spending waaaaaaay more than I have, whats another 650$ lol) just trying to figure out if the sinister kit will clear my up pipes.

I use a ( I donno what the right thing to call it is ) green 3" roloc plastic finger lookin disc thing on heads on the head gaskets I change at work.... and they don't take any metal off and I bet I can do 20 15liter i6 heads and blocks with one disc so I know its not taking much of anything off, but does clean **** up well... so I think that's the plan for the block. (cleggs obviously doing the heads... )

Latest posts

Members online